Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training to Heart Rate zones. Should I use HR Max or HR reserve to set zones?

• 08-01-2015 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Ive been reading a little bit about HR reserve and I cant figure out if I should be using my zones based on HR reserve or HR max. I have a resting HR of 37 so there is a massive difference between zone 2 as a percentage of my max as opposed to a percentage of my reserve.

I worry that if I go at 75% of my reserve instead of my HR max I will be training too hard for it to be considered steady. Going by my HR max the most I should reach to be in zone 2 is 151 but going by HRR i should be between 146 and 160. That is a significant difference.

Which should I go by?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Threshold heart rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    Threshold heart rate.

+1 to this.

To get anything other than bog standard 1-5 zones you should be working off your threshold level. Lab test or field test to establish what this is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What's threshold level? I generally work of a % of Max. So Tempo is 82-89% of Max or what ever.

Also don't understand what's meant by HR reserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

To get your lactate threshold heart rate do the following test:

Run for 30 minutes all out and as hard as you possibly can with , after 10 minutes hit the lap button on our HR device and your threshold heart rate will be the average heart rate for the last 20 minutes. Your zones are then set based on this.

More information can be found here:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/joe-friel-s-quick-guide-to-setting-zones

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MTBD

Thanks for the replies. I will try that test. I did a run recently that was probably pretty similar but only lasted 20 mins. I seemed to be averaging 180/181bpm. That would be 92% of my Max HR (Not sure if my max HR is accurate though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 blackrosegul

To get anything other than bog standard 1-5 zones you should be working off your threshold level. Lab test or field test to establish what this is.??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

To get anything other than bog standard 1-5 zones you should be working off your threshold level. Lab test or field test to establish what this is.??

See the link in my previous post

Advertisement