Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology, Physics, and Chemistry...which two?

• 08-01-2015 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Hello LC Forum,

I'm a TY landed with an subject options form for fifth year. I want to do 2 science subjects because it was my strongest subject at JC (along with History) and I have a genuine interest in Science and can see myself doing a "sciency" course after school.

I'm lost though for which two to pick. I like all of them almost equally, although I find Chemistry marginally more difficult. I got an A in JC HL Science and HL Maths.

I'm torn between:
    Biology and Physics
    Biology and Chemistry
    Chemistry and Physics

I've heard various opinions on the three choices. One teacher told me to avoid Biology and Physics combination because there is pretty much zero overlap between them (why that would matter I don't know). He said for most people doing 2 science subjects, Chemistry is generally one of them (is this true?)

I fear that Chemistry will be over my head and will require a disproportionate amount of work to do well, and I don't want other subjects to suffer because of this.

Others say that Biology is píz a very handy subject if you can dedicate yourself to a steady amount of rote learning.

And somebody else told me that Physics is the hardest and the most unpredictable of the Sciences.

Your Opinions on the three sciences, and which ones make good/bad combos?

(BTW Re: Chemistry... I don't really want to be a doctor, or a vet, or a dentist, so don't consider which subjects apply to which college courses)

(BTW, BTW I'm not being prejudiced, Ag. Science is also a science but I'm nipping it at the bud because it's a joke in our school unfortunately)

TOO LONG; DIDN'T READ: TY Student looking for opinions on Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Would you consider Applied Mathematics?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ABCE

Do Biology regardless.My easiest chapter so far in 5th year.

Between Chemistry and Physics...If you're quite good at looking at things from a logical point of view, go with Physics. There's just over 20 experiments in total I think, and drawing graphs based on the results you get from them is also quite important.
    I do all 3 and for me Chemistry < Physics in terms of the amount of work you have to do at home and for tests etc..just a personal opinion.
    Because both are relatively hard, just go with the one you like..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Reckon there should definitely be a stick thread discussing this.

HL Biol is the most popular, taken by about 25k (also most popular non-core subject); next Chem with about 7k; then Physics with about 5k. Applied Maths is taken by about 1.5k.

Physics and Chem have strikingly similar grade distributions: about a fifth will get an A; half will get A or B. Biology has ~15% A-rate (v. high by my reckoning considering how many take it).

I took Chem and Physics. There is effectively no over-lap in content, but there probably could be said to be in terms of thought-process. Chem certainly has a longer syllabus, and requires a considerable amount of rote-learning.

Personally I would take Phys/Bio (if I had to take two): for all the work that one has to put into Chem, I would rather do a little bit extra and be guaranteed of a Bio A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I would do all 3 and keep all my options open .

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

I currently do Chemistry and Physics. You have to somewhat understand the material in both subjects but personally I find physics easier than Chemistry. Yes, there are difficult sections on both which require more thinking but once you keep going over them they are not too bad after a while.
    I find myself studying less for physics than chemistry since i find it a bit easier and the experiments aren't overly difficult.

Just my view.

• Advertisement

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I would do all 3 and keep all my options open .

Very few courses stipulate having taken a particular science subject. Chem is only required by UCC Medicine, TCD Pharmacy, UCD Veterinary and...something else that I can't remember. Basically, while a lot of courses will require one to have taken at least one science course, few stipulate which.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I do biology and Physchem. That means I get the taste of everything, and Physchem is seen as the best subject because it doesn't go into super in depth like the physics/chemistry counterparts but it touches on a lot of things - like most LC subjects should. The exam is really nice, just have a glance at the past papers now.

There is a lot of overlap, especially if you do Applied Maths aswell (i do it).

I'd highly recommend biology, Physchem and applied maths. Lovely subjects :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Very few courses stipulate having taken a particular science subject. Chem is only required by UCC Medicine, TCD Pharmacy, UCD Veterinary and...something else that I can't remember. Basically, while a lot of courses will require one to have taken at least one science course, few stipulate which.

I did all 3 . My course required chemistry and biology but I find physics really useful in some aspects of my course. Something I never thought would happen . Understanding how muscles work , stresses and strains etc is all physics . I think courses with surgical modules definitely complement physics in terms of understanding forces you apply by doing different procedures . Even though they only require biology and chemistry .

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mendelmania

I do Bio and Chem!!!

Biology is a lot more Englishy and the marking scheme can a bit peculiar at times. Even though I prefer it to chemistry, I usually get better grades in chemistry? Gotta say tho it is handy in that it's not the hardest thing in the world to get your head around.

If you don't mind maths and like a bit of a challenge chemistry is a good subject to pick. I didn't like it much for junior cert but trust me when I say that junior cert chemistry is a WHOLE different story to leaving cert chemistry.

What I'd say is a good idea is to check out the branches of science that sound most appealing to you. I am most interested in genetics and so I picked bio & chem. ALSO maybe investigate your possible teachers in each subject - teachers have the biggest impact on your experience with the subject B)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not all schools are in a position to offer all three. Some, as a compromise, offer Biology and Phys/Chem.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Not all schools are in a position to offer all three. Some, as a compromise, offer Biology and Phys/Chem.

Yeah, and there's nothing wrong with Physchem to be honest. If you're conflicted with the three sciences, why would you not chose Phsychem and Biology combination if you can only do two subjects? :confused:

I'm sure any science teacher would be qualified to teach LC Physchem if they're able to teach them separately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Physchem isn't offered as a subject in our school

Physchem isn't offered as a subject in our school

That sucks, but maybe you should ask your teacher or principle? If enough people are interested, maybe something can be done about it?

That sucks, but maybe you should ask your teacher or principle? If enough people are interested, maybe something can be done about it?

Around three-hundred take it per year. It was argued before on here about the merits of Phys/Chem. My contribution was that, in having a 50:50 split between the subjects, you don't merely take half the difficulty from each distinct subject. That is to say that the difficulty in learning Phys/Chem lies somewhere between studying one subject on its own and studying them together, and that only a moderate amount of extra application would allow a student to perform as well in both Physics and Chemistry as they would in just Phys/Chem.

Around three-hundred take it per year. It was argued before on here about the merits of Phys/Chem. My contribution was that, in having a 50:50 split between the subjects, you don't merely take half the difficulty from each distinct subject. That is to say that the difficulty in learning Phys/Chem lies somewhere between studying one subject on its own and studying them together, and that only a moderate amount of extra application would allow a student to perform as well in both Physics and Chemistry as they would in just Phys/Chem.

I see what you mean, just like everything - it depends on the person.

Throwing difficultly away, I just like to get a feel for all the topics so my choices for the CAO can be more suited to my interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Username6212

Hello :) I'm a sixth year who does all three subjects, in my opinion either go with chemistry and physics or biology and chemistry. A knowledge of chemistry will greatly help your understanding of biology, likewise chemistry and physics will really compliment eachother however not as much as the combination of biology and chemistry.

But if you can try to do all three! It's a really fun combination of subjects, all of them compliment eachother, the trio will tie together in a nice little bow

Chemistry and physics will really compliment each other

Is that true, though? I'm racking my brain for any possible example.

Would doing all three sciences be like putting all my eggs in one basket though? Fair enough I like science and am good at science...but would it be a better idea for me to have a "break-away" subject like History or Music or DCG in the mix as well?

Would doing all three sciences be like putting all my eggs in one basket though? Fair enough I like science and am good at science...but would it be a better idea for me to have a "break-away" subject like History or Music or DCG in the mix as well?

The subjects vary to such an extent, and Biology requires so little understanding, that it's not the case that it would be a big gamble.

That said, I would definitely recommend a less taxing subject, as well.

If you play an instrument well, a high grade in Music is supposedly very easily achievable. And if it's a classical instrument, there's huge overlap with theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Wouldn't a lot of atomic theory and radioactivity overlap?

• Advertisement

Slow Show wrote: »
    Wouldn't a lot of atomic theory and radioactivity overlap?

But those are tiny parts of the Physics syllabus. Radiation: distinguish between alpha, beta and gamma rays and show radioactive decay of an atom. Atomic Theory is even less substantial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

But those are tiny parts of the Physics syllabus. Radiation: distinguish between alpha, beta and gamma rays and show radioactive decay of an atom. Atomic Theory is even less substantial.

What about The Mole (Boyles Law,) etc that's a big part in both physics and chemistry

To be honest I'm not really that bothered about which subjects compliment each other; I'm not going to pick a subject solely because a small part of it overlaps with another subject.

On another point, would not doing chemistry completely eliminate me from Pharmacy? I know Cork and Dublin/RCSI list it as a requirement but are they the only places that Pharmacy can be done in Ireland?

coolerboy wrote: »
    What about The Mole (Boyles Law,) etc that's a big part in both physics and chemistry

The Mole almost never features in LC physics - I think there was a Particle Physics question a while back. And Boyle's Law is possibly the most intuitive of all the physics laws and hardly a big part of either subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

The Mole almost never features in LC physics - I think there was a Particle Physics question a while back. And Boyle's Law is possibly the most intuitive of all the physics laws and hardly a big part of either subject.

You can't deny that there is overlap though, however small, between the two courses, and thus they do complement one another to an extent.:p
    To be honest I'm not really that bothered about which subjects compliment each other; I'm not going to pick a subject solely because a small part of it overlaps with another subject.

On another point, would not doing chemistry completely eliminate me from Pharmacy? I know Cork and Dublin/RCSI list it as a requirement but are they the only places that Pharmacy can be done in Ireland?

If you're gonna pick any of the science subjects and looking to keep your doors open, go for Chemistry. Other than pure denominated Physics courses I don't think there's any course that specifically requires Physics or Biology but quite a few require Chemistry. I think that not doing it would rule you out for Pharmacy though I couldn't say so with absolute certainty. The three colleges offering Pharmacy in Ireland are UCC, RCSI and Trinity, though there are certainly other, longer routes into it.

According to this Qualifax tool, the third level courses which require a particular science subject are:

Biology:

Genetics - UCC

Human Health and Disease - TCD

Chemistry:

Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy - UCC

Veterinary - UCD

Pharmacy - TCD

Public Health Nutrition, Human Health and Dietetics - DIT

Physics:

Theoretical Physics - TCD

Most of those require another science subject, as well.

Slow Show wrote: »
    You can't deny that there is overlap though, however small, between the two courses, and thus they do complement one another to an extent.:p

:D No, I can't deny that :p I was just responding to someone who said Physics and Chem "really compliment each other".

The atomics physics section has overlap with radioactivity, the absorption and emission spectrum in light has overlap with bohr, a knowledge of energy levels and electrons ties in with electricity

I'm by no means trying to get across that there is a massive overlap, but you get to discover topics from each subject from a different perspective, personally that helped me and I found it enjoyable. Did cut down any of the work load? Not really

• Advertisement

The atomics physics section has overlap with radioactivity, the absorption and emission spectrum in light has overlap with bohr, a knowledge of energy levels and electrons ties in with electricity
    I'm by no means trying to get across that there is a massive overlap, but you get to discover topics from each subject from a different perspective, personally that helped me and I found it enjoyable. Did cut down any of the work load? Not really

I get what you're saying, but those are very small elements of each syllabus.

Advertisement