Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use a RAID setup for backup?

Options
  • 08-01-2015 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I never feel happy with just using one disk nor do I trust cloud services with a lot of my data.

I have a NAS device but the firmware is poor and doesn't have functionality for software RAID.

When I copy over files I use an app that does a CRC check on each individual one.

Knowing computers I bet the day my laptop gets stolen will be the day my external drive fails; and, by way of the head scratching the platter or something...(happened before with client data too - those were different times though)

I suppose I'm really asking what solutions people here are using and how they find them....thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RAID != Backup.

That said, its a very good idea as it often will save your bacon if done right. My home server is based on Flexraid which snapshots nightly. It removes the need for an expensive raid card when daily writes arent huge (most home servers).

The problem is say I did something stupid and Cryptowall got onto my server, or the SATA controller died and took all the disks with it? Or a rogue process silently corrupted all the data. RAID doesnt help me there.

Thats where you need an offsite if theres anything unreplaceable. I'm weighing my options for that right now. If you got TNO or Trust No One then the data you sync up to the cloud can be locally encrypted and the service operators will never be able to read any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

It depends on what RAID level, no? Performance isn't the goal here.

I'm thinking RAID and an offsite disk - uploaded via the internet although I'll have to check my upload speed....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RAID 0 is for performance.
    RAID 1 is for redundancy, but not backup.
    RAID 5,6,10 etc are mixtures of the basic 0 or 1.

You always want two copies of the same file on independent file systems. If your upload is good local + offsite. If its not (ADSL) then you can be reasonably safe by haveng two local copies but on separate machines that dont sit beside each other so if one catches fire theres a chance the other won't burn with it.

All this is for data you care about. If its just rips of DVDs, meh, who cares then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

euser1984 wrote: »
    It depends on what RAID level, no?
    No. Regardless of level, RAID is not backup: http://serverfault.com/questions/2888/why-is-raid-not-a-backup

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I use RAID at home alright but I store all my photos off site too (I use mega.co.nz with a password protected archive). Assume there's been a fire at your home. You'll be glad you spent the few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

For data that can be replaced, but it can be a awkward to do so:
    - local RAID server

For photos and data that cannot be replaced:
    - 1 copy on local RAID server
    - 1 copy on 2x portable hard drives (one at home & one at the office -- in rotation)
    - 1 copy on online backup (S3/Glacier)

Advertisement