Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New bike

• 08-01-2015 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a decent road bike. Dont want go get a "beginner" bike want to get a decent one that would be suitable for bike club/long distance. Even recommend a make to stay away from
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Budget ?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ducie

sy wrote: »
    Budget ?

800 max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ducie wrote: »
    800 max

There's a good deal on the felt F85
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f85-tiagra-2014/

And the Z85
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-z85-105-2014/

Was looking at the Carrera in Halfords. Some very good reductions. Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

I'm looking at the cube peleton race for myself at 999. Its come highly recommended from folk on here and elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

ted1 wrote: »

The Z85 would be more suitable for long sportive type spins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

That Z85 is good value alright.
    OP i wouldnt be looking at the carrera if you want something beyond a beginner road bike.
    Marty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

For 800 you would pick up a near new second hand bike. There are some great deals on Donedeal at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭meercat

logik wrote: »
    For 800 you would pick up a near new second hand bike. There are some great deals on Donedeal at the moment.

Agree
    Trek domane 4 on done deal atm for €1000. 2014 model.new. Can't link ,on phone

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

ducie wrote: »
    Was looking at the Carrera in Halfords. Some very good reductions. Any good?

I wouldn't. Some of the Boardman bikes in Halfords are good value though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I'm looking at the cube peleton race for myself at 999. Its come highly recommended from folk on here and elsewhere

Great bike, love it so far. 6 weeks and about 300km and it's as smooth as butter.

What are thoughts on below?

Claud Butler Echelon
    Jupiter Spider 
    Claud Butler San Remo 
    Claud Butler Venoux
    Claud Butler Criterium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You started the thread by asking for advice on a 'decent' bike and said that you didn't want a beginners bike, you were advised on several makes models But you are still looking at the cheapest bikes you can find. If you want a decent bike and not a 'beginners' then stop looking at the likes of Claude Butler, Jupiter (scrap) or Carrera. The names you want to be looking for are Giant, Trek, Felt, Specialized, Boardman, Cannondale, Scott, Cube, Focus, Fuji, Ridley etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

OP a lot depends on how much use you get out of the bike. There is a fair bit of bike snobbery out there. Lads are buying bikes for over 1000eur and hardly get out once a week.
    I bought a Carrera and it is a perfectly good bike. With the weather in Ireland it can be hard to get out on the road and with dark winter evenings your chances of getting out at all can be very limited. We have had 2 very good summers in a row which made cycling a pleasure. If it is pissing rain every day it is not much fun. If you really get into the cycling you can always upgrade but if you are going to be just a casual cyclist doing the odd sportive you do not need to be paying huge money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

OP a lot depends on how much use you get out of the bike. There is a fair bit of bike snobbery out there. Lads are buying bikes for over 1000eur and hardly get out once a week.
    I bought a Carrera and it is a perfectly good bike. With the weather in Ireland it can be hard to get out on the road and with dark winter evenings your chances of getting out at all can be very limited. We have had 2 very good summers in a row which made cycling a pleasure. If it is pissing rain every day it is not much fun. If you really get into the cycling you can always upgrade but if you are going to be just a casual cyclist doing the odd sportive you do not need to be paying huge money.

I don't think it's snobbery to direct the OP away from the likes of carrera (which I'll admit have put out some decent value entry level bikes over the years) when they specifically stated that they wanted something above the 'beginner' level suitable for relatively serious use and an 800euro budget. Other brands like jupiter and claud butler do have a genuine reputation for low quality, low price notwithstanding. Bike snobbery exists but there are plenty of us who started off on cheap bikes but fell in love with cycling and only wished we'd invested in a nicer bike sooner. If you have 800euro to spend and want to make a serious go of cycling then it's no harm spending the 800 euro. If money's tight or you're a bit more cautious then some of the carrera models are decent (virtuoso for instance looks like decent value although I've no personal experience of it) as are decathalon but other cheapo options are ****e and represent a false economy as compared to a reasonably priced and well-maintained second-hand bike.

You started the thread by asking for advice on a 'decent' bike and said that you didn't want a beginners bike, you were advised on several makes models But you are still looking at the cheapest bikes you can find. If you want a decent bike and not a 'beginners' then stop looking at the likes of Claude Butler, Jupiter (scrap) or Carrera. The names you want to be looking for are Giant, Trek, Felt, Specialized, Boardman, Cannondale, Scott, Cube, Focus, Fuji, Ridley etc etc
    Your last sentence was exactly what I was looking for.
    Thanks for your advice, despite your little strop

Advertisement