Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

To good to be true???

• 08-01-2015 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hey guys

So I am just after having someone come view my bike that I have up for sale. I met up with two lads, the buyer (a mechanic) and his friend that knows GSXR's very well.

They asked me why are you selling it? (upgrading) and has it ever been raced? (no). He said he'll be honest with me and not waste my time but the bike is not for him, I then replied with oh why? He said that it looks to good and to clean to be true, he'd be more confident buying a bike from a garage with warranty because there are just too many cowboys out there trying to sell stuff.

I have the bike reasonably priced (not cheap but not too expensive for what it is)
    Now the two lads were certainly not wasting my time as they arrived and left in the space of 5 minutes, they seemed very interested and genuine.

Have you guys ever walked away from a bike that was too clean?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Id be suspicious, never heard of that reason for walking away from a bike, be careful they may be checking it out to return and steal it later. If you bought them to your house they may be checking out what your security arrangements are. Might sound paranoid but happens all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TheArtOfNoise

No, the cleanest bike I ever bought privately was mint 1 month old Vespa PX200 in 2003. The owner couldn't get used to the sensation of riding it after pottering around on it and putting 50kms on the clock. His loss my gain! Never found a cleaner scooter since and I know what to look for exactly after owning 11 of the bloody things since then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

rustynutz wrote: »
    Id be suspicious, never heard of that reason for walking away from a bike, be careful they may be checking it out to return and steal it later. If you bought them to your house they may be checking out what your security arrangements are. Might sound paranoid but happens all the time
    Good thing to record the reg numbers of any cars/vans that arrive, it might be worth nothing but on the other hand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Couple of timewasting wan*ers imo....Are they on here..?? name and shame....

If it was TGTBT why did they come..??surely your advert was descriptive...
    If there was any suspicion or a robbed/crash-repair bike then the "mechanic" should spot it easily...

If theyre going to rob it, park it somewhere else for a while if youre not using it...i'm assuming from your op that they didnt come to your house...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I'd say whatever reason he decided he wasn't buying it, it probably wasn't because it's too good to be true. You probably just had a couple of tyre kickers that had already settled on a bike from a garage they'd seen that day. The too good to be true bit was probably just to save face.

Best of luck with the sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

I unfortunately did bring them to the house as I was under the weather and didn't want to go to far but the bike has been moved to a different location. I have a mobile number which they rang me on, the car reg number which they arrived in and also have the whole thing on cctv. It just had me baffled as they came and went in the space of 5 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Prepare to get timewasters. Don't worry about bringing to the house, I wouldn't buy a bike if I didn't meet the seller outside his house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Cienciano wrote: »
    Prepare to get timewasters. Don't worry about bringing to the house, I wouldn't buy a bike if I didn't meet the seller outside his house

I wouldnt sell my bikes (8) from my house at first.....i would meet them somewhere first and suss them out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

I wouldnt sell my bikes (8) from my house at first.....i would meet them somewhere first and suss them out....

Sounds a bit dodgey imho. If he was a mechanic and or knew much about bikes and was genuinely interested he would know how to ascertain if it had been raced. Also if it was as clean as you say a genuine buyer would really want to verify he wasn't walking away from w bargain and would at least ask to see service history and ask some probing questions etc.

I literally just sold my Hypermotard this week. The amount of time wasting tyre kicking joker low ballers out there is unreal, they may have been the same but no harm being on your guard.
    Stick the reg of the van they used into motorcheck and make sure it matches the vehicle, I.E the plates were legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Have you had much other interest in the bike?

They could just have been 'tyre kickers'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Sounds like a bit of " It's not you... Really, No it's me - You're too good for me darling":rolleyes:
    +1 Zubair
    Looks like they had no intention of buying anyway and came up with what they thought was a face saving excuse to leave without upsetting your feelings?
    Timewasters anyway. On slightly different point I would have thought it was a buyer's market at this time of year - would you do better to wait until the weather warms up?
    Best of luck with the sale.

Advertisement