Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know Your Elves - The Red Robin Round

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

If money was no object what would be your ideal Christmas? Where would you spend it or how would you decorate the house or what would you eat?

It would be in the highest castle, with the strongest walls, with the longest drop, down to the deepest moat, with my beautiful wife and our little furry army(4 cats), in front of a raging fire, dosed up with a sh!tload of booze...

or, alternatively,

It would be in a replica of the Mole's little home from the Wind in the Willows, mulling some Ale over a hot, toasty fire with knee deep snow outside.

Please note: I'm on a high because I'm just back from visiting my family in England and am quite nicely toasted(p!ssed...)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭CarrieAnne

If money was no object what would be your ideal Christmas? Where would you spend it or how would you decorate the house or what would you eat?

Pretty much my usual Christmas but maybe without the worries of the credit card in Januaury!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Great question, but even if I had all the money in the world, I'd still have Christmas at home, and eat the exact same as we did last year. Christmas traditions tend to be the things money can't buy.

But saying that.... the crackers would prob have amazing gifts stored in them if money was no object! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I remember some famous person (UK tv famous rather than Beyoncé famous!) saying that he orders all the plates and glasses and cutlery in for Christmas Day and when they're finished they just put the dirty plates and stuff back into boxes and store them in the garden until the company comes to collect them. It really sounds like a great idea.

I think if money was no object I'd like to have enough room in my house for all the family to come over for Christmas Day purely so that I could sleep in my own bed that night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I remember some famous person (UK tv famous rather than Beyoncé famous!) saying that he orders all the plates and glasses and cutlery in for Christmas Day and when they're finished they just put the dirty plates and stuff back into boxes and store them in the garden until the company comes to collect them. It really sounds like a great idea.

I think if money was no object I'd like to have enough room in my house for all the family to come over for Christmas Day purely so that I could sleep in my own bed that night!

I remember hearing that too about the dishes😀

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

If you could celebrate Christmas at any other date other than December 25th, what date would you pick?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Loughc wrote: »
    If you could celebrate Christmas at any other date other than December 25th, what date would you pick?

Like the 29th or something because that weird week between Christmas and New Years is just annoying!!

I think I'd like to have a mini Christmas in June as well as the normal Christmas. That might tide me over until December.

I think I'd like to have a mini Christmas in June as well as the normal Christmas. That might tide me over until December.

Mid-way would be my ideal time as well. Break up the long run in from Jan-Dec.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

It is cheesy as anything, but I would have Christmas at my parents’ house where we always have it, but as other posters have suggested I would use the money to pay someone/a company to do all the bits that nobody likes (clearing up dishes, taking down decorations, washing and ironing clothes etc)

I wouldn’t change anything about Christmas dinner, it is already perfect!

And of course, I would spoil everyone with presents because that’s the best part about Christmas!

Would a Christmas tree in every room be excessive? (except the bathrooms) Possibly not practical even just because of space constraints, but I LOVE Christmas trees!

I would pay for my sister and her boyfriend to travel to Ireland, chances are they’d do that anyway but this way they wouldn’t have to fly Ryanair! In fact, I’d hire a private plane and go from London to pick them up myself, and then we’d have a Prosecco-fuelled trip to Dublin together (with a pilot flying the plane, not us!). If my boyfriend wanted to come to Ireland for Christmas I’d fly him over too, first class if that’s possible.

Maybe the weekend before Christmas I'd hire the plane again and bring my whole family to a Christmas market somewhere in Europe.

I would also have a massive party somewhere a few days before Christmas, maybe on the 22nd or the 23rd, and invite everyone I know in Ireland (including Christmas boardsies!) Something like a castle with a big ice rink outside in the grounds and an absolutely enormous Christmas tree, and a free bar that includes mulled cider and mulled wine, and fireworks later in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Loughc wrote: »
    I would stick it on the 23rd February. I bloody hate February (winter has lost its novelty, spring seems like it’ll never arrive) and it would give me something to look forward to! Also, it is exactly six months from my birthday so it would bisect the year nicely.

A non Christmas question today given the day that's in it.

What's your favourite Pancake topping?

Chocolate! When I was a kid we'd grate a few different bars of chocolate to put on pancakes. My favourites were Bournville and Mint Crisp. These days I just use dark chocolate. I have a massive bag of Callebaut chocolate chips to put on my pancakes today.

Pancakes for dinner! Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Nutella.

Nutella.

Nutella is my favourite thing EVER! Not just for pancakes haha!

I'm not that into Nutella but I like it on pancakes. We don't keep it in the house (diabetic husband who is allergic to hazelnuts - it would just be cruel) so I only ever have it when I go to a food market for crepes.

I'm not that into Nutella but I like it on pancakes. We don't keep it in the house (diabetic husband who is allergic to hazelnuts - it would just be cruel) so I only ever have it when I go to a food market for crepes.

I try not to keep it in the house as I'd end up eating straight from the jar with a spoon.... :o

I did buy a jar for today.... oh god... :o

Eating it with a spoon is fine. It's when you start eating it with your finger that you should start to worry.

Eating it with a spoon is fine. It's when you start eating it with your finger that you should start to worry.

:o oooooh......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I like the classic lemon and sugar.

Made my batter last night so all ready to go when I finish work.

• Advertisement

kitten_k wrote: »
    I like the classic lemon and sugar.

Made my batter last night so all ready to go when I finish work.

The classic is prob my favourite for Pancakes as well. Nutella goes with everything else better though! :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Lemon and sugar and jam. Nom.

I've only had three pancakes so far today- next year I'm taking Pancake Tuesday as an annual leave day!! :D

I had so many pancakes! There was so much left over my fiancée got up this morning and used the rest of the batter to make me pancakes for breakfast!

Still stuffed almost three hours later haha!

So another non-Christmas question for today, and given the day that's in it,

What, (if anything) are you planning on giving up for Lent?

An idea my fiancée has and it's such a good idea I'm stealing it but this year instead of giving up, I'm planning on taking something on for 40 days. So I'm committing to do some form of exercise everyday for the next 40days, wither it means going to the gym, or a quick 15-30min walk. I'm taking the approach anything is better than nothing!

Taking something on over giving something up is a psychological win right away as having to give something up makes it sound hard immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I never give up anything for lent.

I haven't given anything up for Lent in years. I remember the guilt when I was a kid if I forgot and ate some chocolate. A girl I went to school with actually spat out the square of chocolate that she'd just put in her mouth when she remembered that she was supposed to be off it for lent. Deciding to do something like exercising everyday is a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DrJ

I actually am giving up chocolate as it is my only vice. I think I will enjoy the easter eggs more then ;-) I am hoping to just buy quality Irish chocolate from now on and only for occasions like Christmas. I had not done anything for Lent in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Same as ever year, I'm giving up pints.
    With the exception of six nations and paddy's day.

Normally loose a couple of stone just in time for the summer BBQ season when it goes back on.

Then no pints from Halloween to Christmas, 12 pubs being the exception.

And around we go again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Nah, I never give anything up for lent.

I like the thought of doing something to better yourself though- good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭CarrieAnne

I am TRYING to find MORE patience for Lent .... hopefully!!

Have a wonderful Priest in local parish, who always preaches LENT is not a diet and to take up a task or do something ... is more benefical than abstaining...

I agree.

Advertisement