Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know Your Elves - The Red Robin Round

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thread is falling to the wayside!

Aplogies I need to stay on top of it more! :)

Considering the recent Wintery weather we're getting, (in Spring), today's questions is,

Are you a fan of Snow? Or is that a no to Snow and why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I like the look of the snow at first but hate when it then turns to slush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Yes love the look of snow, love beingsnuggled up at home looking out at it but hate when it turns to slush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love snow. Love everything about it. It was so lovely yesterday afternoon making my lunch with the snow falling outside. And when I woke up this morning I had a text from my husband to tell me that it had snowed and I've never jumped out of the bed so quickly. :D

I've only ever had to drive in it once though so I suppose if I'd been living in Dublin when it was really bad a few years back I might have a different opinion. I remember walking down to the Point that year to go see Arcade Fire and the snow was really thick. It's one of my favourite memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I don't like the traffic that comes with snow, but do enjoy the impromptu snow ball fights with the neighbours kids while cleaning off the car

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I hate snow when I'm trying to travel anywhere, especially flying because it causes chaos. I think this is mostly because in this part of the world we are not used to snow and don't have systems in place to cope with it.

I was in Denver a couple of weeks ago and there was a snowstorm while I was there - I was really impressed by how quickly they cleared snow from the roads and pavements and put grit down. The only unpleasant part was trying to use pedestrian crossings because you had to pick your way through dirty slush to get from the pavement to the road.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Today's Question;

Finish the sentence;

You know it's Christmas When......

you see the coca cola ad!

When I see the lights in town or in one of the shopping centres or wherever for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DrJ

You hear the original Band Aid :-)

• Advertisement

When Halloween is over

Scarinae wrote: »
    When Halloween is over

November 1st would have been my answer too :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

When I see the Christmas lights in Dublin city centre. Makes me excite. :D

Today's question:

Have you ever had to work on Christmas day?

I never have thankfully and would not like to.

kitten_k wrote: »
    Today's question:

Have you ever had to work on Christmas day?

I never have thankfully and would not like to.

When I was a student many moons ago, I worked part time in a call centre they switched from not opening on Christmas to opening for a few hours, like 12-9 or something like that. They asked for volunteers to work, then they offered triple time, I think it went to quadruple time before they got themselves volunteers.

Needless to say I was NOT one of the volunteer.

Thankfully now my job is now your typical "9-5" Monday to Friday and usually I get to book a good chunk of time at Christmas Off, but how much longer that will continue I'm not sure as more and more businesses are opening more and more even at Christmas.

I've never worked on Christmas Day. I worked in M&S one Christmas and I was in until after closing on Christmas Eve but I don't think M&S opened on St Stephens Day so I probably wasn't back in until the 27th. While I know it's not the same as working on Christmas Day, even working late on Christmas Eve ruined Christmas for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I've never worked on Christmas Day. I worked in M&S one Christmas and I was in until after closing on Christmas Eve but I don't think M&S opened on St Stephens Day so I probably wasn't back in until the 27th. While I know it's not the same as working on Christmas Day, even working late on Christmas Eve ruined Christmas for me.

Definitely, sure the whole of Christmas Eve is over by then!

Never worked Christmas Day. I'd be devastated. I would want at least quintillion pay. :pac:

I have worked every Christmas eve for the last few years though. In my last place I used to work until 5pm on Christmas eve and then be back in Stephen's day. Blaaaah.
    In my job now I finish by 1pm on Christmas eve and usually have until the 29th off. That suits me fine. I actually really like working Christmas eve. There's a great atmosphere in town. People are usually in good form. I can pick up a few emergency items in the shop (like bread/milk/Ferrero rocher) and since I don't work in retail (thank Christ!) we tend to just doss about for the morning in our Christmas jumpers eating milk tray and lindor until we close up and I head for a few pre-Christmas drinks with the work crowd. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

Never had to work Christmas Day, thankfully! I usually work Christmas Eve (if it falls on a weekday) but we usually have a bit of a doss day, and leave early : )

Today's question:

With the Euromillions being €100m - what would you spend it on?

I would take my family and friends on an amazing holiday. I would give my family some money. Buy a house and new car and give some to charity.

• Advertisement

I'd build my own house, go on numerous holidays and relax haha.

I'd sit my husband down and explain to him that he had to stay working for a few months so people didn't get suspicious and realise we'd won. :pac: Then I'd go buy something ridiculous, like a stupidly expensive pair of socks or something. Something that a regular person would never buy. House, holiday, new cars. Nothing major, but the idea of being able to walk into a car dealership and buy a brand new car with all the extras makes me happy. Then I'd give money to charity and to the non-blabbermouth members of our families and live happily ever after.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭CarrieAnne

Divide the full amount, share with family, charity, and HOPEFULLY enjoy not having to worry about month end!!

self indulgent moment... a fancy holiday for the whole family.

House in malahide, with an rs6 for me, and an rs5 for my wife.

Villa in south of France, commutable to med for summer and Alps for winter, with a Ferrari California.

Penthouse in NYC, with a hennessy camaro

Ranch in Texas with an icon br bronco.

All of the above would be bought on finance, not cash, as they could all be got for less than the interest on the winnings..

I would hire my kids teacher to travel with us, so we could all see the world together, and kids wouldn't fall behind on school..

I'd set up a charity for children (similar to make a wish miuns the exorbitant director salaries), and the kids could go on camps etc to the above..

The above would be available to friends and family when not being used by the charity.

If set up a car dealership and employ my mates and brother to run it, paying far over the odds, so they get sorted for life without accepting charity.

Other businesses would be set up for family and friends depending on their interests..

That's it for now.

I love how much thought you've given this!! :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    I love how much thought you've given this!! :pac:

Pub chat generally ends up on this subject! :)

Today's Question,

Seeing how bright the mornings/evenings are getting, Are you a Summer or a Winter kind of person?

Summer, definitely! I like the longer days, nicer weather, more cheerful people. Basically the main thing I like about winter is Christmas, and I find January and February hard going for this reason because there's not much to look forward to and summer seems so far away

Summer. I love the bright evenings and warmer days. Even if it's not properly hot like we've had the last couple of years it's still usually warm enough to just throw on some flip flops and a t shirt to head to the shops rather than having to put on layers of clothes and figure out if it's cold enough for a hat and gloves. I love being able to have all the windows in the house open and not having to worry about it being freezing.

Christmas is still my absolute favourite time of year, but as seasons go, summer is the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Autumn, my favourite time of the year - turning leaves, crisp evening air, a week of two off with my honeybun..... Christmas baking underway (sort of) :)

Advertisement