Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know Your Elves - The Red Robin Round

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

Definitely a summer person, I love the brighter evenings!

Christmas is the most amazing time of year but once it's over the shorter days are a bit of a drag and I long for the summer months and maybe even an aul Irish heatwave :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Sunday and Wednesday really got me in the mood for Summer! great getting out with the kids :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DrJ

Summer as well. I love from April on and June, July, Aug in particular. Sept onwards it's the last embers of summer and then looking forward to Christmas but I find Jan and Feb *very* tough going and I thankfully don't suffer any mental health issues but those two months would test anyone! It's so grim when you pack away the decorations and it's cold and dark for 60 more days! At least now in March you can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Life is just so much easier when you're not freezing :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

I'm late to the party on this one, but I'm definitely a Winter person. I actually dread the Summer now, all that sweltering heat, dripping in sweat all the time. There's only one good thing about Summer and that's that I know in a month or so(after Summer begins I mean) I'll be over the worst of it and heading towards Halloween and dark evenings and then the real run up to Christmas. Sod the Summer... It's hateful!!! :eek:

I heard Caravan of Love by the Housemartins when I was out for dinner last night. It's one of those non-Christmas songs that I always associate with Christmas. I was very excited.

There's your round robin question :)
    What non Christmas song reminds you of Christmas?

Mine would be Gary Jules, Mad World.

• Advertisement

Today's question sponsored by Bobblehead Panda..

What non Christmas song reminds you of Christmas?

Mine would be Gary Jules, Mad World

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

For me it was "Our House" sung by Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young.

It played during the last scene of an Only Fools & Horses Christmas Special that was a trilogy where they finally became rich. It was an iconic Christmas TV moment and everytime I hear the song now I think of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Born to run by Spingstien, I thinks there may be bells in it.\

We had a couch day Friday (a weekend day here) and I was tasked with putting on the movie (LOTR's) while the OH was upstairs, I slyly put on the intro to Harold and Kummar's Christmas just to hear "its the most wonderful time of the year" until I heard the shout from upstairs to turn it off.

I was like a giddy schoolboy!!

I am leaving my current location in September and have to sell of my lovely christmas decs that i have accumulated in the 6 years here. Im gutted.

Well, 'Stay Another Day'is recognised by many (including me) a 'Christmas' song! Also, strangely 'Bad Cover Version' by Pulp ;-) it's the odd bell and backing singers (on the proper version with Jarvis singing). Can't think of any others at the mo.
    eternal flame by the bangles has that kind of feel from it towards the end with the backing vocals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Coldplay - Viva La Vida always sounds Christmassy to me as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I saw Love of the Common People by Paul Young on one of the Christmas music channels with a Christmas themed video and since then it reminds me of Christmas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

"Only You" by The Flying Pickets.
    It was Christmas number one the year I was born and featured in a great scene in the Christmas special of The Office. It always reminds me of the festive season. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    "Only You" by The Flying Pickets.
    It was Christmas number one the year I was born and featured in a great scene in the Christmas special of The Office. It always reminds me of the festive season. :)

Oh my god I love that scene with Tim and Dawn!! I loved the Office!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

I saw Love of the Common People by Paul Young on one of the Christmas music channels with a Christmas themed video and since then it reminds me of Christmas.

Wow, that brings me back. It reminds me of Christmas as well. Although a very different type of Christmas growing up when Santa had a budget and it was way less than anyone we knew. My folks always did great at Christmas but I would be lying to say it didn't bring a lump to my throat listening to that song. I used to feel guilty for asking for stuff. Glad we as a family have been allot more prosperous since then.

Do you celebrate Easter or is it just another day with added chocolate?

It was always a day for a big roast dinner and loads of Easter eggs when I was a kid. We used to build a pyramid with our Easter eggs. We got far too many. These days we go wherever we'll be fed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

It was always a day for a big roast dinner and loads of Easter eggs when I was a kid. We used to build a pyramid with our Easter eggs. We got far too many. These days we go wherever we'll be fed.

Not as much nowadays. I remember when i was a kid Easter would be one of the two big occasions of the year i'd get some new clothes and the whole shopping experience with my mam choosing them too. Good Friday of course meant getting dragged over the Stations of the Cross which went on for an eternity & usually ended with the odd member of the congregation fainting due to the heat in the church. After all the wait for my Easter Egg on Sunday morning, i was banned from having any until after dinner as we usually had it at 1pm & my mam didn't want me spoiling my dinner. Then the fun bit came when all we'd visit my mam's side & my dad's side in other to exchange eggs. I'd usually have a count of about 10 eggs at the most to do me for the next month. Nowadays i'm acutally lucky if i see one :(

My mam would still abide by the rule on Good Friday of only fasting & eating only the minimal of food & no meat. Even when she'd be invited to a party on Good Friday she won't eat anything till after midnight.

gidget wrote: »
    My mam would still abide by the rule on Good Friday of only fasting & eating only the minimal of food & no meat. Even when she'd be invited to a party on Good Friday she won't eat anything till after midnight.

Oh God, I read this and thought 'which of my sisters-in-law are you?' :eek: My mother-in-law used to go to a party every Good Friday and not eat until after midnight. It's okay though, I checked with my husband and very little of the rest of your post tallies with his experiences growing up! :D

It was always a day for a big roast dinner and loads of Easter eggs when I was a kid. We used to build a pyramid with our Easter eggs. We got far too many. These days we go wherever we'll be fed. :D

Nowadays for me Easter is just all about an excuse to eat lots of chocolate but when I was younger mass and a big roast dinner were big events around Easter.

I love easter! :)
    A nice dinner (a roast or something like beef wellington) and as many chocolate eggs and Ferrero rocher as I can eat- with the bonus of it being a four day weekend.

I've got to hand it to Jesus- his birth and death account for a fair chunk of my days off every year! :D

Nah, I don't really celebrate Easter but I certainly enjoy the extra long weekend :)

JC's Supermarket in Swords get Easter Eggs in every Christmas so that's usually when I get given an egg!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

When I was a child we usually had the grandparents around for a roast dinner, and of course we had an Easter egg hunt in the garden (or in the house if it was raining). These days I don't mark it in any particular way apart from enjoying the days off and eating chocolate

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Today's question - do you abstain from meat and alcohol on Good Friday?

Scarinae wrote: »
    Today's question - do you abstain from meat and alcohol on Good Friday?

No to meat, and yes by default to alcohol as I don't drink at home so with the pubs closed there's no need to.

Mmmmmmm meat and alcohol

hqdefault.jpg

Nope. I usually have a drink or two at home on Friday night and Good Friday doesn't stop that. And meat is too delicious to give up for a day.

Nope. I definitely eat meat on Good Friday- and I might go completely mad and have a beer in front of the tv. :pac:

I don't purposefully abstain from either however for the past few years I've been in my boyfriend's parents' house for Easter weekend. As we don't eat fish that means cheesey pizza for dinner! :D

I'm usually at home with my parents at Easter so eating meat on Good Friday is a big no no. Same for alcohol. I'm going to cook fish for the family instead. On Easter Sunday we actually usually do the turkey and ham again and eat loads of chocolate so Easter is always like Christmas which is cool ;)
    Regarding the earlier question - I used to 'celebrate' Easter I suppose because I used to go to mass with the family when I was growing up and at one point in my teens we had a nice priest that used to distribute Creme Eggs on the way out after mass!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭CarrieAnne

Normally yes to both, no meat or wine.

Looking forward to Easter - its big family dinner time here again - so far 9 and counting...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Hello fellow elves! Do you put up an Easter tree? I got a present of painted eggs an ceramic bunnies from Switzerland years ago as my sis saw trees in the shop there. I put them away and as per usual I forgot where and my o/h found them on Sunday (16 yrs later:eek:). So I put mine up yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

^^^

Pic?

Never heard of an Easter Tree.

Advertisement