Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Spine Race

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Looks like Enduro opened up a gap on pavel this morning and is eating into his 42 minute lead from the last checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

He does seem to be going for it. Unfortunately it looks like he has headed slightly off course at the moment.

Edit: Back on course and it seems that everyone is going off course at that point. Must be a slight diversion or a minor tracking issue. Pavel has detached from the chasing pack but at the moment Enduro seems to be still building his lead. Long way to go yet but could be a very interesting finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

what kind of distance is left ? finishing today ?

woody1 wrote: »
    what kind of distance is left ? finishing today ?

A little under 30 miles. Pavel is about a mile behind. Weather permitting they should finish today. Last year the fastest time from CP5 to the finish was about 17 hours but that's not a great comparison given the breaks that they have had due to being held because of the weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I hope they are not getting hit with the weather we had yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Enduro seems to be under a bit of pressure now and dropped back into the pack, he took his shot earlier and seems to be tiring from that effort now. Pavel has opened a decent gap.
    Hopefully, he will bounce back and finish strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Enduro seems to be under a bit of pressure now and dropped back into the pack, he took his shot earlier and seems to be tiring from that effort now. Pavel has opened a decent gap.
    Hopefully, he will bounce back and finish strong.

Enduro's tracker hadn't updated in almost an hour. Currently showing both of them at the Bryness checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

It's changed slightly now

The race leaderboard has Enduro arriving in to Byrness 10 mins after Pavel. GPS updates on the tracker are a little sporadic but I wouldn't be surprised if they're together again at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Looks like they are together now alright..

On second look maybe a little gap in favour of Enduro. The tracker had them together a second ago...

The cheviot hills, sounds like little hills you'd come across in a road race but probably more like small mountains :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I look away from the Leaderboard for a minute and Paloncy now has a 5 hour lead?!

hmmm wrote: »
    I look away from the Leaderboard for a minute and Paloncy now has a 5 hour lead?!

An apt username in this instance!

There was a tweet made this morning about needing to revise times to take into account people being held. Eoin did arrive in to CP2 (where he was held) 2 hours and 51 minutes after Pavel. However after that there only seems to be differences of a few minutes here and there between them.

It's a very confusing situation. They organisers have obviously had to take the decision to hold people back at checkpoints for safety reasons and given the conditions you can't really argue with it. It has changed the nature of the race completely though as the last few days have been fairly fast moving and lots of waiting around whereas it look like last years race was a bit more demanding on the final legs. For example Bellingham to Byrness took Pavel and Eoin about 2 and a half hours this morning. Last year it took Pavel about 11 hours (presumably with a break) and the fastest completion was about 6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

The timings have been re-calculated so Pavel seems to have it won.

It seems very difficult to say who benefitted more from the time outs. Eoin was timed out about 10 hours at cp2 and again for 10 hours at CP3, having slept with the clock running on night 1. Pavel slept less or not at all so was through cp2 before they were held, eventually being held about 20 hours at cp 3 while the field bunched up.

There were a few effects of this, Eoin did the leg cp2 to Cp3 on better sleep and had more daylight and was faster.
    You might argue however that Pavel reached Cp3 after a very long non stop trek and would have needed to sleep anyway, thus gaining benefit from the time out. Eoin was entitled to some benefit having slept on his own time

This is the situation as I understand it and is of course subject to correction.

Not at all straightforward to sort out.

It seems from the tracker that Eoin is trying to beat Pavel mano a mano on the final leg.

Nearly there now. There's about 10k to go and Enduro is about 2.5k ahead of Pavel.

2-3 km left and he's done... Some going :)

About 500 meters to go after that update.... Strange to be talking in meters now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

And's he finished. 82 hours 40 mins.

Finished at 17.06

Says he's at the finish. Fair play for the strong finish!

And done, absolutely brilliant performance, astounding... Given that course and especially the weather, thats my performance of the year 2015 vote sorted already...

Well done Enduro...

Should be an interesting race report :)

• Advertisement

The distance between Enduro and the 3rd finisher is incredible. There's going to be at least a couple of hours difference in their finishing times.

Special mention for Beth Pascall, some athlete and a great performance..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Special mention for Beth Pascall, some athlete and a great performance..
    Her performance has been incredible, and she's going to absolutely smash the women's record. They're all lunatics really, but it's great to watch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fishboy1974

Superb performance and one that deserves some media attention as is one heck of an achievement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

Spine overdose.
    Had a dream I was running it last night.
    The physical and mental endurance is unfathomable to me.
    Congratulations Enduro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Thanks for following along everyone! That was an epic adventure out there, as well as a great race. I've started writing the race report, so hopefully will have it ready soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Well done Enduros - looking forward to the report

I'll buy the report for myself next Christmas :)

Advertisement