Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Leap Cards?

Options
  • 08-01-2015 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

So I've been Googling around and I can't find anything about this.

I got a new student leap card in Trinity College yesterday. Used it on a bus and the scanner said Not A Valid Product: See Driver. I thought nothing of it but it happened twice again today. I assume I'll have to get it replaced, but can anyone tell me what's going on here?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Does it have credit on it?

I've seen that message come up when credit is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

SeanMolo wrote: »
    So I've been Googling around and I can't find anything about this.

I got a new student leap card in Trinity College yesterday. Used it on a bus and the scanner said Not A Valid Product: See Driver. I thought nothing of it but it happened twice again today. I assume I'll have to get it replaced, but can anyone tell me what's going on here?

Thanks.

Might be worth contacting Leapcard Customer Helpline....1890 457 056.
    There HAVE been issues with problematic Cards.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SeanMolo

There should be 10+ days on it. I brought my old one into Trinity. They asked if I'd like to transfer credit onto the new one. I told them of course. I assumed they did as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

There should be 10+ days on it. I brought my old one into Trinity. They asked if I'd like to transfer credit onto the new one. I told them of course. I assumed they did as much.

I got my new Leap card in TCD just before Christmas and they didn't actually transfer my credit across from my old one (even though the guy said he did). I'd say that might be your problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Theres been a lot of people complaining about that. Some of those places dont do it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 SeanMolo

Them simply not doing is the answer here. Friday morning, before college, I went to Trinity but the area where they do Leap Cards was closed. Went to Spar and got 5 days. Worked fine.

I had 13 days on my old card. €60 worth of days just gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well ring LEAP and inform them - there is no way you should lose them.

They can check this and fix it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've mentioned this to the NTA and this is to be flagged with the student card team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Them simply not doing is the answer here. Friday morning, before college, I went to Trinity but the area where they do Leap Cards was closed. Went to Spar and got 5 days. Worked fine.

I had 13 days on my old card. €60 worth of days just gone.

It seems to be any issue overall. Theres been people posting about ucd a few times here the last couple of weeks with the same issues.

Im not sure what leap might be able to do. As victor alludes above, the student travel card itself is managed by a different group.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

OP how long do you let the card read as in do you swipe or move card when trying to place to machine.

These cards have to be placed right up to the machine where the white background sticker and LEAP card picture is and if you have a wallet the card can be left in it once no other similar type card is in it also.

Did you place the card on the drivers ticket machine as they can look up the card and check what is on it.

The previous credit or rambler may never have been put on in college so as other said contact LEAP.

The student Leap cards are very slow to read and if many rambler are loaded even expired it has to go through all these, also the 3 beeps when working I don't see any need for anymore only for child tickets as you must be in education to get a student Leap so the old way of anyone buying child and student when they were neither has been stopped mostly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement