Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to come home to Ireland - am I mad?

Options
  • 08-01-2015 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi guys,

To cut a long story short, I have been in the UK for a year or so now. I've been working away and in September I received a graduate position in an organisation here in the UK. The pay is pretty good (£28k/e33k) but there are two big issues for me.

The biggest one is probably that I have been moved to a regional northern English city. Right now I have few friends in the city, I feel isolated and am not enjoying my time here. I am effectively just working and I don't like where I am living. It is impacting my quality of life greatly. I will have to spend at least another 15 months here and the thought of that is galling.

The second one is that I am in an industry that I do not see myself staying in (HR). I took the job looking to get out of it when the grad scheme is finished (3 years time).

Being home for Christmas really drove it home that I want to be back in Ireland. Despite the relatively good salary that I am on, I am very frustrated. I want to be back in Dublin to be honest and I want to head back soon. In one way I am blessed with the position I am in now but I am not happy.

I hope to get into something with finance when I get back to Dublin.

Am I mad to give up what I have to head back home to Dublin? It is a dose of homesickness, but I want a life again too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as would any advice on applying for jobs from abroad.

Thanks a million.

Average Hero

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

It would do no harm to have a look round and see what opportunities/salaries are on offer at home. Contact some of the people you know in Ireland and see what's happening. Things are definitely picking up on the job front and that all begins in HR. You could just test the water and see without doing anything final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Do you think if you made a life for yourself you'd feel differently?

Have you tried joining the local gym?

What about looking up night courses (acting / a language / art) in the local area?

Does meetup.com or couchsurfing.org run any events in your area?

It's ok if you do decide to go home, but make sure you've given it your best shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

It's early January, if you still feel like this later in the year, by all means come back but right about now is when we feel low and need to make rash decisions.

Do some research and make a considered decision. Even if you stay the 15 months, it won't be long passing, use that time to prepare for the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I live abroad and am Irish. Another Irish guy who works for me came back from Ireland and handed in his notice. His wife and kids were back in Ireland and he missed them desperately.

However, after a few weeks, he rescinded his notice. It was, in his own words, a rash, emotional decision he made after leaving his family and he was upset.

My advice? As the previous poster has said, it's January, the most miserable month of the year and you are just back after Christmas - you've a lot of things going on in your head right now. Take a few weeks (at least until the weather starts getting better) and then make a decision. It's not nice being miserable when away from home, but don't make any rash decisions without considering all options carefully.

Advertisement