Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities to visit

Options
  • 08-01-2015 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

We're looking to organise a trip to the states in April/May time but aren't sure where we want to go.
    Nashville is a definite so we were thinking of going to 3 cities for 3 days each. Would appreciate it if people could recommend places to visit. Quite open to where we go but we've been to new york, vegas and orlando in the past so would like to visit some new places.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Will you be driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Last year hired a car and spent 3 nights each in Memphis and New Orleans.
    About a six hour drive but had a great time and not to far from Nashville.

Last year hired a car and spent 3 nights each in Memphis and New Orleans.
    About a six hour drive but had a great time and not to far from Nashville.

Thats a good route isnt it? Nashville to Memphis and then drive south to New Orleans.

How was Memphis? I've never been but I've heard its smaller and possibly a night or two would be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Thats a good route isnt it? Nashville to Memphis and then drive south to New Orleans.

How was Memphis? I've never been but I've heard its smaller and possibly a night or two would be enough?

Depends on what your interested in, we took in a baseball game,had some fabulous bbq ribs, visited Beale Street, went to Graceland and had dinner on a steamer on the Mississippi.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Haven't decided yet but fairly open to driving. Whatever makes for the best trip really. Had contemplated maybe flying to washington then nashville and then new orleans but just can't make my mind up.

• Advertisement

Have you driven in the US before?

If you've a few years experience and are confidant in Ireland I think you're good for any US driving. Even on the other side of the road. They generally drive slowly and patiently, much less skilled than europe but also a lot more forgiving. The roads are wider, the lanes on the freeways are wider (and more numerous), the parking spaces are wider. Its very easy.

I'd say the two places in america that americans mention as having crazy drivers are Boston and Los Angeles, but really if you've driven in Dublin you'd be easily able for either.

(Petrol is also at its cheapest in ten years!)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Parking is quite easy alright coz everyone parks in the same direction and their spaces go in at an angle. I had only ever driven my own 3 door Toyota Yaris before going to America and parking the big Toyota Corolla in America wasn't too bad except where turning straight in to a space was involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Haven't driven there before but happy to give it a go and take my time.
    More concerned with finding some good places to go to.

The West has such spectacular scenery that it becomes the "destination" in a way.

A good route is San Fransisco, then drive down the coast to Los Angeles. You can do all that in about a week.

You can extend it by adding on the drive to Las Vegas from LA. Or even start in Seattle or Portland instead of San Fransisco.

Advertisement