Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staying with my own hurling team, can i play football somewhere else?

• 08-01-2015 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, just wondering does anyone have any information about this? My hurling club at home has no football team for the 4th year in a row. I'm now living in Kildare and would like to play some football. Is there any chance i could play for a football team up here while still playing for my hurling team back home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

yes, there is about 5 lads that play on our hurling team that plays for a neighboring football team. no biggie,especially as ye don't have a football team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Eire og and Coill Dubh in Kildare both have hurling teams and no football teams I know plenty that play hurling with these and play football elsewhere, so I reckon it should be ok will you still need a transfer though even though there is no team at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hurling11

Sorry, I thought I had it mentioned but just realised I didn't. My home team is in Kilkenny, and I'm going to stay playing hurling with them. I heard of people playing with a neighbouring team but do ye reckon it's possible to play football up here seeing as it's where I live?

hurling11 wrote: »
    Sorry, I thought I had it mentioned but just realised I didn't. My home team is in Kilkenny, and I'm going to stay playing hurling with them. I heard of people playing with a neighbouring team but do ye reckon it's possible to play football up here seeing as it's where I live?

AFAIK, the registration for club football and hurling is different. I've known lads around Clonmel who were hurling for Marlfield and registered with the likes of Ardfinnan as a footballer. Ardfinnans 'sister' club is considered to be Ballybacon whereas St Martins used be Marlfield's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

from my understanding of it you cannot play in a different county but make sure to ask the secretary of both clubs as they will know more than me

http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/Official%20Guide%202014%20Part%20I(1).pdf

Playing Restrictions (Club)
    (A) A Player may not play in any Championship
    with two Clubs in a given year’s Championship,
    either within a County or in different Counties
    save as provided for in Exceptions below and in
    Rule 6.11.
    (B) A Player may not play with two Clubs in the
    exact same Competition of a given year.
    Exceptions:
    (1) A Player of a separately affiliated Hurling Club
    may play football with a separately affiliated
    Football Club, and vice versa, within a County,
    subject to any restrictions provided in County
    Bye-Laws.
    A County Committee may make alternative
    arrangements in the interests of the promotion
    of Hurling/Football, provided that the
    arrangements have been approved by Central
    Council.

6.11 refers to america, canada etc

I suppose you could get the secretary of your Kildare club to write to Leinster Council for special circumstances due to games promotion. community integration etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

Should be possible to play football provided that the club has no hurling. Given the fact that your home address is in Kildare also that should mean you qualify. If you need any information you could always contact Seanie Johnson a man you well averse with the Kildare Transfer bye laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

No. You can't be registered in two counties, simple as. You can play for another club IN THE COUNTY if your own club doesn't have the code you want, but you can't play hurling in one county and football in the other.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Look up the isolated player rule, I'm pretty sure you can choose another club in the same county but not in a different county.

Advertisement