Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biomedical Science versus Medical Science

Options
  • 08-01-2015 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can explain the difference between a Medical science degree (I.e. In GMIT) and a Biomedical Science degree (I.e. In NUIG).

Also, I understand the course is NUIG is not accredited to allow you to work in a hospital lab, I was wondering is there a further degree/postgrad to gain that accreditation if one decided to go down that path after doing the Biomedical science course?

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

The three courses accredited by the ACSLM are accredited because of the subjects studied and because they include a placement in a diagnostic lab.

Biomedical Science degrees that are not accredited are not accredited because they don't teach the required subjects nor do they have the placement. They are similar to a degree in biochemistry, microbiology, genetics, etc. Calling them 'Biomedical Science' degrees is misleading advertising in my opinion.

To join the ACSLM without a recognised degree is technically possible but practically very difficult, expensive and time consuming. You would have to go to DIT or the University of Ulster to 'top up' your undergraduate degree, find a diagnostic lab that would be willing to take you on and pay the ACSLM €1500.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Underworld12

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can explain the difference between a Medical science degree (I.e. In GMIT) and a Biomedical Science degree (I.e. In NUIG).

Also, I understand the course is NUIG is not accredited to allow you to work in a hospital lab, I was wondering is there a further degree/postgrad to gain that accreditation if one decided to go down that path after doing the Biomedical science course?

Any help appreciated!

To save you a lot of time, money and energy, I would recommend staying away from the "Biomedical Science" course (and I emphasise the quotation marks there) at NUIG and doing one of the Biomed/Medical Science degrees in DIT, GMIT, UCC/CIT or Ulster University. I'm currently doing my accredited degree in Biomedical Science at Ulster University, I was originally on the Biomed course in DIT but transferred colleges for personal reasons. Can't recommend either course highly enough, however it's tough going, definitely is not a walk in the park! The accredited courses in the above colleges are miles above any similar degree in the NUI colleges and elsewhere. I'm preparing for my placement this coming September and I'm so excited! Given it allows you to practice as a registered biomedical scientist upon graduation, you're choice should be a no brainer really! But of course choose the option that suits you best! Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 blahbaba

does anyone know the starting payscale for medical science courses or what the payscale is when you are on placement?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

blahbaba wrote: »
    does anyone know the starting payscale for medical science courses or what the payscale is when you are on placement?

http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Benefits_Services/pay/nov13.pdf
    That's exclusive of on-call earnings. Nobody that I know of does med science for the money but no med scientist is on the bread line either.

Advertisement