Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour has Efibre but I can't?

Options
  • 09-01-2015 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My neighbour has been an eircom customer for years and a few months back got Efibre installed also. Since it had been going well for them, I decided to go for it also. I didn't think there would be any issue since our houses are attached.

A year ago a phone port was installed in the house to use another provider, but as service was not as advertised, it was unplugged immediately and never used.

I called Eircom today to sign up.  At this point I was told that my line can only handle 3mb and efibre was not available at this time. I explained that my neighbour has it installed and was told that we are on different exchanges. They are Navan-Drogheda and we are Navan-Mullingar. This baffles me.. 

On your website's map of coverage, it shows mullingar as available so i'm confused as to where the problem lie's...

Could it be a case of my line needing updating?
    Would it cost the earth to have a technician call out to have a look?

I would appreciate any clarification.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

jenyarns wrote: »
    My neighbour has been an eircom customer for years and a few months back got Efibre installed also. Since it had been going well for them, I decided to go for it also. I didn't think there would be any issue since our houses are attached.

A year ago a phone port was installed in the house to use another provider, but as service was not as advertised, it was unplugged immediately and never used.

I called Eircom today to sign up.  At this point I was told that my line can only handle 3mb and efibre was not available at this time. I explained that my neighbour has it installed and was told that we are on different exchanges. They are Navan-Drogheda and we are Navan-Mullingar. This baffles me.. 

On your website's map of coverage, it shows mullingar as available so i'm confused as to where the problem lie's...

Could it be a case of my line needing updating?
    Would it cost the earth to have a technician call out to have a look?

I would appreciate any clarification.
    Hi jenyarns

If you would like to PM me the specific address and possible land line number associated I will be happy to look in to this further for you.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jenyarns

Hi Al,
    I pm'd you my details last Friday and am yet to hear back.
    After being told last week I would need to pay 120 euro as new install and sales rep could request that I be hooked up to exchange that the rest of my estate are on for efibre, then trying to call back the same rep and making 2 requests for him to contact me, I have heard nothing back.
    I spoke to a different rep yesterday, who after speaking with her superior, said she could sign me up as new customer and select exchange and I wouldn't have to pay 120 euro.
    I was then put on hold and told once again it would not be possible. When I asked for an explanation I was passed on to tech support who couldn't explain either and was told to look out for the technicians vans in my area and ask them. Super helpful!
    I am told I am on the Navan mullingar exchange, can you please explain the issue with me getting efibre when the eircom wholesale site shows that mullingar is also live.
    Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

jenyarns wrote: »
    Hi Al,
    I pm'd you my details last Friday and am yet to hear back.
    After being told last week I would need to pay 120 euro as new install and sales rep could request that I be hooked up to exchange that the rest of my estate are on for efibre, then trying to call back the same rep and making 2 requests for him to contact me, I have heard nothing back.
    I spoke to a different rep yesterday, who after speaking with her superior, said she could sign me up as new customer and select exchange and I wouldn't have to pay 120 euro.
    I was then put on hold and told once again it would not be possible. When I asked for an explanation I was passed on to tech support who couldn't explain either and was told to look out for the technicians vans in my area and ask them. Super helpful!
    I am told I am on the Navan mullingar exchange, can you please explain the issue with me getting efibre when the eircom wholesale site shows that mullingar is also live.
    Many thanks.

Hi jenyarns

Thanks for PM'ing your information. I have looked in to this and discussed this with operations.

I can confirm the most lines are connected to the exchange your line was connected to and it is not the exchange that is a matter if importance in the consideration of efibre availability but rather connection to the local cabinet.

The name of the exchange your line was connected to was AUVG - which is the exchange serving that other lines which can get efibre.

However,

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]The availability of efibre is based on the rollout of fibre cabinets serving specific locations, unlike regular broadband where is available upon an enabled exchange[/font].

While I can confirm that a new line connection with eircom is free (although does hold a 12 month contract for monthly line rental of €25.78) I cannot confirm if your line will be able to hold efibre as until it's activated we cannot see if is served via the local cabinet in your area.
    This is one of the reasons that a line can only be provided under the terms of it's own merits - to make and receive telephone calls.

Ultimately the position remains that while eircom can arrange reconnection of your line we cannot provide this line under any other terms or conditions beyond that already agreed and will remain unavailable to be able to guarantee efibre broadband.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement