Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights flickering with kettle/oven on.

Options
  • 09-01-2015 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Having this issue over the past few weeks. The house was built in 70's or early 80's I think, but not sure since it's rented. Fairly sure it's original wiring.

Up until now, if someone was in the electric shower the lights will dim slightly, which happens in most houses and I understand. However, if the kettle was turned on the motor in the shower would slow, and increase the temperature which I just put down to the house being old and having a lower kW supply in.

Over the past few weeks, the electric shower will run for say 10 seconds, the electric motor will drop in speed for a split second, the ceiling lightbulb flickers(not sure if the heater cuts out),and then continue to run for maybe another 10 seconds before repeating. Sometimes in can run for maybe a minute without this happening.

If the kettle or oven are on, the lights will continuously flicker every couple of seconds. This is new behaviour, and I'm concerned that there is a problem with the mains supply, or an issue inside the house itself.

I'll get onto an electrician or ESB, but any advice as to possible causes would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Kev

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Get on to the ESB if you like but they don't deal with issues inside the house. Their response will be simple, they will tell you that based on the description you've posted here that the wiring in the house is dangerous so they will cut power off to the house until it's fixed and certified by a RECI.

Get onto the landlord, the wiring needs to be inspected and fixed by a competent professional, it's clearly a total mess and probably dangerous. Sockets, lights and electric showers should not be on the same circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A bad connection or loose fuse is a possibility.

Is there a well pump on the premises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

coylemj wrote: »
    Get on to the ESB if you like but they don't deal with issues inside the house. Their response will be simple, they will tell you that based on the description you've posted here that the wiring in the house is dangerous so they will cut power off to the house until it's fixed and certified by a RECI.
    That must be a new one.
    Get onto the landlord, the wiring needs to be inspected and fixed by a competent professional, it's clearly a total mess and probably dangerous.
    How do you know this?
    Sockets, lights and electric showers should not be on the same circuit.
    And what makes you think they are? A bad connection on the main switch or a loose main fuse in a DB will affect all circuits. As will too small of tails from the meter, bad connection at ESB minipillar. Lots of possibilities.

Maybe the installation is bad. But we don't have enough info to be so certain .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭kirving

There are old-style screw in fuses in the MCB as far as I know, no well pump.

I understand that ESB Networks won't do anything inside the house, but there is a chance that the problem could be external.

Most problems are usually caused by simple things, so electrician will be my first port of call.

Advertisement