Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York to Boston train

Options
  • 09-01-2015 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Am thinking of going to NY and Boston in either April /May.
    I don't fancy driving,flying or bussing between the two cities so it leaves me with the train option.
    I looked up Amtrak and found different options and I have a few questions I was hoping to get answers for.

Here goes
    The cheapest ticket listed is a coach ticket,what is the difference between coach and business class on these trains and is it worth upgrading for nearly double the price?

Will it be possible to get a good view of the country side or do these trains travel through tunnels much,don't like the idea of being in the dark or underground for a long journey,i would find it too boring?

If anyone has undertaken this journey I would be grateful for any feedback.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

howyanow wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Am thinking of going to NY and Boston in either April /May.
    I don't fancy driving,flying or bussing between the two cities so it leaves me with the train option.
    I looked up Amtrak and found different options and I have a few questions I was hoping to get answers for.

Here goes
    The cheapest ticket listed is a coach ticket,what is the difference between coach and business class on these trains and is it worth upgrading for nearly double the price?

Will it be possible to get a good view of the country side or do these trains travel through tunnels much,don't like the idea of being in the dark or underground for a long journey,i would find it too boring?

If anyone has undertaken this journey I would be grateful for any feedback.

Thanks

Did it about a dozen times last year

Get the cheapest ticket you can.....theres no real difference on the Northeast service

The Acela is always more expensive than the Northeast train but if you can book it at an off peak time there may only be a $20 difference. Acela is definitely more comfortable than the regular train.

There are absolutely beautiful views as you come down the CT shoreline.....just make sure you grab a window seat on the left hand side of the carriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Bus is a decent option too, a lot cheaper and similar travel times but obviously not as comfortable.

Both the bus and train arrive at the same location South Station in Boston (although 2 separate stations they are next door to each other).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Pretty much what @whitey1 said.

The Acela is lovely train and slightly faster than the Regional but they both run on the same track.

As a trip I really enjoy it - you get to see parts of towns and cities that you'd never otherwise get to see and the coast is gorgeous.

I'd avoid the bus - it can be exciting for all the wrong reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

whitey1 wrote: »
    Did it about a dozen times last year

Get the cheapest ticket you can.....theres no real difference on the Northeast service

The Acela is always more expensive than the Northeast train but if you can book it at an off peak time there may only be a $20 difference. Acela is definitely more comfortable than the regular train.

There are absolutely beautiful views as you come down the CT shoreline.....just make sure you grab a window seat on the left hand side of the carriage.

This all the way. Some great views.

Advertisement