Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended spec for streaming HD?

Options
  • 09-01-2015 1:20am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As far as basic off the shelf computers go.
    I've an anchient laptop that struggle to play 480 from you tube so I'm looking to upgrade.
    I'm leaning more toward a desktop and it's main function will be media center. Streaming, DVDs, music and maybe photos.
    Desktops are easier to upgrade in time.

I'm not on a super tight budget so I'd like to cover the min. spec and then some.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Any Intel processor these days will be able to play full HD without issue. Even the most basic Atoms will be able to play/stream HD video without any issues. No dedicated graphics card required for your usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

iamstop wrote: »
    As far as basic off the shelf computers go.
    I've an anchient laptop that struggle to play 480 from you tube so I'm looking to upgrade.
    I'm leaning more toward a desktop and it's main function will be media center. Streaming, DVDs, music and maybe photos.
    Desktops are easier to upgrade in time.

I'm not on a super tight budget so I'd like to cover the min. spec and then some.

If you are connecting to a tv, you could consider an Intel NUC, as the are neat and discreet for the living room.

Are you streaming over wireless? It could be just the connection speed thats causing problems, you could check by connecting to your router with an ethernet cable if you have one around.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

It's not the connection. It's the oldness of the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Fair enough, just thought it worth checking in case adding a different wireless adapter might do.

Any of the modern intels with integrated graphics would do. As above, if you wanted something discreet for the living room those NUCs are nice. \they will be limited in storage if thats a problem, only room for one 2.5" drive as far as i know.

If you want a proper desktop the you may get better advice over in the building and upgrading forum, even if you dont want to build it yourself.

They have a questionnaire which will help narrow down the best spec for your budget and needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This would also do what you want by the sounds of it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057354143

Plug it into a screen, or TV, get a wireless keyboard for 30 quid and you're away for not much more than 100. And for that you get a full windows machine, that will play full 1080p with no issue, you can install what you like etc. You'd need external storage for it however...

• Advertisement
Advertisement