Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU for video editing

Options
  • 09-01-2015 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Building a PC for occasional editing and grading as a side project of cinematography, mainly music videos and commercials, but would want to be capable of working with 4k.

I'm having difficulty choosing between some GPUs and I'd be interested to hear people's own experiences and opinions. A lot of info online is geared towards gamers and I'm hoping to hear some people who do professional work with graphics cards. I'd like to start off with one single GPU with enough VRAM to run 4k pretty smoothly, on a 1440p monitor. I might get a cheaper GUI GPU later on.

My options are:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB
    GTX Titan Black 6GB
    Radeon R9 290x 8GB

From what I've learnt VRAM is rather important for 4k work. But from what I've been reading Titans seem to be recommended over the 290x. Even though they have less VRAM, memory bus and a few other things as well plus are twice the price. I've found a second-hand titan black which brings it within my budget but is it worth it really? Would a 290x give me any complaints?

The rest of the build is as follows (sorry I can't get the code to work)

Dell UltraSharp U2713H 27" Widescreen LED Monitor
    Asus X99-S - Intel Core i7 5820K Six Core CPU & Motherboard Bundle
    GeIL EVO Potenza 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Quad Channel Kit
    Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 2.5” 7mm SSD
    SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply
    Antec P280 Super Midi Tower Case - Gun Metal Black
    2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM
    Noctua NH-U12S Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU Cooler with NF-F12 Fan
    LG 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black)

Thanks

Advertisement