Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limerick toastmasters/communication class

• 09-01-2015 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

has anyone any experience with Limerick toastmasters ?

http://www.limericktoastmasters.com/

or indeed maybe someone knows, are there any other type or public speaking/communication classes going on around Limerick

what am I looking for - something where I have to speak off the cuff at random about different things, as im a bit too shy and quite for my own good

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭893bet

I attended their open night once. Was ok and sounds ideal for what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭airnwater

Would recommend toastmasters , there are 3 clubs in Limerick ; there is the Thomond club & also the Raheen club. The latter is the newest , all would have different styles & age profiles , why not go along to each & see which club you prefer ? There is no pressure on guests to speak . You will have to move outside your comfort zone to benefit from it ,but it's worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭aidanki

im 33 which clubs would have that age group profile & any idea when they meet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Office girl

If you are interested Raheen Toastmasters has an open night on Tuesday 20th January which would be a good way of finding out more about Toastmasters.

Also there's another Toastmasters club which meets in the Clarion Hotel. It has only recently started up but looks interesting. If you google "single speakers" you'll find the website!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭893bet

aidanki wrote: »
    im 33 which clubs would have that age group profile & any idea when they meet ?
    I was at the raheen one and it had a wide age profile. Nice people to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭touts

As someone mentioned there are three clubs in Limerick. I've experienced two of them and they are wildly different beasts.

Limerick Toastmasters: This is for the great and the good of Limerick. Solicitors, Barristers, Auctioneers, etc. I'd say a few business deals are done in the bar afterwards. It's the sort of crowd that would have only VIP tickets for events in the Limerick City of Culture. I was in my late 20s and went to a couple of their meetings but found them a bit cold and unwelcoming. I'm not entirely sure they even knew I was in the room with them. The only people who spoke to me was a guy at the door and a girl who was also attending her first meeting (she wasn't at the second one I went to). You kind of have to be in their social strata both age wise and economically to get in there.

Raheen Toastmasters: The club for everyone else not driving a Merc. They were friendly and welcoming. They were also a much smaller club. Ages seemed to range from early 20s to late 70s but they all mingled happily together. I was welcomed as soon as I arrived and the whole thing was explained to me. They welcomed me and a couple of other new people from the top table. There was a good atmosphere throughout the meeting. I would strongly recommend them.

Advertisement