Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oyster shells for hens

• 09-01-2015 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

does anyone know where i can get crushed oyster shell? its used in chicken feed to increase calcium intake for stronger eggs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

You should check your local farm supplies store - if they stock poultry products, they will have bags of oyster shell. Make sure you put it in a deepish bowl, so that its not scratched/pecked onto the ground/wasted.

A better solution I have found is LIMESTONE FLOUR - its pure calcium - a medium sized tub costs around €6 I think - will last for years - you sprinkle a spoon on to the hens food every day til you see an improvement in the shells - usually takes a week to see the effect. Also available at your farm supplies store/equestrian shop (or you can get online)

Another option is to give them back their own eggshells - not as efficient, but free and 'green' - rinse the shells, pop in the microwave for 2 mins, smash them up in a bowl, put in the hen run

(Are you giving them decent quality layers pellets, which will contain 'optimum' nutrients - including calcium) - also as they age, hens shell quality will deteriorate naturally.

Advertisement