Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to transfer funds to usa?

Options
  • 09-01-2015 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

So I'm moving to the USA soon, and I have a lot of money in a current account for travelling and supporting myself while I look for work. I was going to transfer most of it to an American account, but recently the exchange rate has taken a dive, leaving me a few thousand dollars poorer compared to a few months ago if I exchanged now. As far as I can see I have 2 options:
    1. Open an American account and transfer a few thousand euro into it, incurring a loss due to the current exchange rate.
    2. Use my Irish debit card instead, and just withdraw money as needed, I have a higher transaction cost but I won't lose money excessively if the exchange rate bounces back.

Any advice? How much money would I expect to lose in these transactions? What do I have to pay to use an American ATM with a foreign card?

Also my bank is AIB.

Advertisement