Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before the Showing season starts ...

Options
  • 09-01-2015 11:33am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39

Could anyone give me a few tips and excersizes for horses topline (no hills in our area )
    Have anyone ever given their horses 100% creatin ?
    Does going to gallops do any good as an excersize aid?
    Any tips or secrets in general ?
    Little nervous here as going to do Cavan Showing Festival and dont really want to make a fool of myself . Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

With showing as with most other disciplines its about getting the horse working correctly and therefore developing the correct muscles. Long & low and get your horse swinging along using his back - I have no idea what level you are at but if you don't understand the concept then maybe try and get some flat-work lessons with someone who does. Once you get that established then you could think about getting a lesson with a showing expert to give you some ring-craft tips. Each horse is so different but some very simply changes can help you show your horse in the best light;

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

As bob said, I think lessons might be your best bet. There's a number of exercises to improve the top line but some of them depend on the horse and its level of fitness, others depend on how it reacts to the leg etc. An instructor should be able to tell you what you need to work on as it would be difficult to say from an internet forum that has never seen you or your horse ride.
    I don't think your horse needs creatine for low level showing.
    Gallops are good for building up stamina and to stop a horse getting bored by changing up their exercise routine. In terms of muscle building and as a sole exercise method for a non racehorse, no. It's too one sided and doesn't do anything to develop a horses outline or way of going. They're sometimes handy though if you have a horse you need to teach to move forward, not always.
    My biggest tip would be ask for help if you need help. Also, watch showing. Watch the horses that win and those that don't and spot the differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Hi OP, Id say your best bet is to get an instructor to put a training programme in place for you..
    There are lots of ways to help topline, its unfortunate you dont have any hills as hillwork if great.
    Lots & lots of upwards & downwards transitions encouraging the horse to essentially drive from behind helps aswell. ( Carl Hester suggests minimum of 200 transitions per session :eek:)
    Regarding Side Reins/lunging in a Pessoa - would only recommend if you have someone who can teach you how to use them correctly as if used incorrectly they can cause damage.
    Interval training in either arena or field is great for fitness levels..
    As far as supplements go my Mare is on Red Cell & have noticed a marked improvement in her coat condition & I will also be adding Seahorse Atlantic product to her feed very soon.
    Also regular grooming & appropriate rugging .
    Appart from that just try to get out & about as much as possible, if you have to ride in a double bridle make sure you get your horse very used to it at home & dont just put it on at shows.. same if you intend on wearing spurs in your show class.
    Could anyone give me a few tips and excersizes for horses topline (no hills in our area )
    Have anyone ever given their horses 100% creatin ?
    Does going to gallops do any good as an excersize aid?
    Any tips or secrets in general ?
    Little nervous here as going to do Cavan Showing Festival and dont really want to make a fool of myself . Thank you in advance :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Lera Manukovskaya

Hi all. I must say that kelp powder is brilliant also I give him probiotic and prebiotic . We go on as many hacks as possible weekends mostly due to darkening and weather now. And got myself an instructor . Thank you all very much for taking your time to write your lovely recommendations I am definately taking them all in . Xx thank you

Advertisement