Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkee 2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

What a fantastic evening here. The sea is much warmer than the irish sea, you western lads are spoiled.

Anyone got an idea how the waves are graded? I'm in wave 6, my entry was a transfer so I don't know if they are graded by swim ability at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Waves are by age from what I can see

Well that sucks.

Could murder a coffee though

mossym wrote: »
    Well that sucks.

Sorry to hear of your crash mossy, hope you're up and about soon.

Cat 1 leaders all skipped the final bouys, thus cutting the course a fair amount. There didn't seem to be kayaks to shepard them wider to the bouys. Keane had an awesome lead coming out ahead of the chasing pack. I was scoffing earlier about the need to dolphin dive exiting a shallow sea, but these guys did it right and you could see the benefit.

Great race all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Cat 1 leaders all skipped the final bouys, thus cutting the course a fair amount.

Were they DQed??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Cat 1 leaders all skipped the final bouys, thus cutting the course a fair amount. There didn't seem to be kayaks to shepard them wider to the bouys. Keane had an awesome lead coming out ahead of the chasing pack. I was scoffing earlier about the need to dolphin dive exiting a shallow sea, but these guys did it right and you could see the benefit.

Great race all round.

How do you mean skipped? After turning the furthest bouy on the left as you look from the beach you swim straight to the two at the beach at the exit. There is one on the left on the way back that has never been part of the race as long as I'm going there and I've no idea why they keep putting it out. You cut the rocks as close as you dare as its the straightest line.

The two last bouys by the beach- which I guess you have to swim between- were skipped by the leaders, who went straight to the beach aftrr the last turn buy. It appeared a shorter line, from the beach anyway.

Edit- if you can take the straight line by the rocks, then they did nothing wrong. But the second chasing pack were kayak marshaled to swim between the two final bouys, which looked like a longer swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

mossym wrote: »
    Well that sucks.

Sorry to hear that man.

Hope the body and the bike are all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

The two last bouys by the beach- which I guess you have to swim between- were skipped by the leaders, who went straight to the beach aftrr the last turn buy. It appeared a shorter line, from the beach anyway.

Edit- if you can take the straight line by the rocks, then they did nothing wrong. But the second chasing pack were kayak marshaled to swim between the two final bouys, which looked like a longer swim.

Yeah, they should go through them alright. Although whatever numpty put them out should have put them in front of the chute up to transition where they are every year, and not 100m to the left where they were.

Think that was what caused confusion all right... A straight line home from the penultimate bouy saved a lot of distance than going through the final two...

Anyway, I don't wish to be negative about this race, it was a great experience, best tri race I've ever done.

And as you say, the swim wasnt shortened :)

Saw my garmin link for the swim... how not to draw a straight line:rolleyes:

I got 1.72k swam, for the sake of overanalysis I'm just curious what others got?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

1646m in total. That includes the run to the timing mat for me

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kchsligo

I looked at my watch quickly just as i exited the water and it showed 1.59k, my swim wouldn't be very straight either.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Logicalus

1.78k to the mat for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Boardcore

My watch read 1690 to the mat at transition, through the final 2 buoys. 25.10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

1.64 for me to the ramp to the mat. A DNF for me unfortunately but still got some positives from it. Little disappointed with the swim. Im just not comfortable in OW this year! I didn't quite panic but just didnt feel comfortable during a lot of it. As a result didnt go for 1 inch of a draft. My race ended on the run up to transition on the hard sand. Have had some plantar fascia issues this year but never so bad as to stop me running but i was hobbling before i got to the bike. Got on with it in the hope id be ok. Bike went well. One issue with gearing where on downhill it ran off the 12 cog. Jammed for about 30s and i thought id have to stop but thankfully i got it sorted. Had one top 10er drafting me on the headwind section just over halfway and whilst going slightly uphill but thankfully a few choice words and suddenly the bike marshall coming with me asking for him to sort it sorted that and he was out of sight in no time. Biked through a good few and wasnt passed by anyone so happy with that. Far better bike than Athy! Race was over as soon as i started running. Foot was in agony and i only lasted about 500m. Was raging as i was well ahead of expectations and confident of running one or two more down. Oh well.

Excellent race venue, been a while since i did this race and will certainly be back. Big thanks to the therapist who spent ages working on me while waiting on the race to finish. Had great intentons of heading to the post race for a drink but fell asleep around 8 and just couldnt drag myself out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I got 1.72k swam, for the sake of overanalysis I'm just curious what others got?

1504m. Stopped it once I cleared the surf and hit the sand.

Enjoyable race apart from the 30 strong groups in double file the last 5km. They all ignored the Marshal at Bealaha who shouted at them to "break up lads, ye know the rules" but sure not a card was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

first time doing this race.

It was a disaster for me, but i could still see what a brilliant race it was. Fair play to LTC.

On the drafting, personally i didnt see too much. However, i did lose my shiiit at one lad. It was about 15-20km in and two guys went by me. As far as i could make out, the lad in front was doing his own race and the leech on the back on his road bike was just sucking off the back of him. after a few minutes of watching him pull away i snapped and sprinted after him and tore in to him.

I'll be honest, i also snitched on him to a bike marshal ( i was in agony with my back, i this guy passed me at the wrong time :p) , but i reckon he backed off after i tore in to him. i checked his times and i cant see anything showing a penalty anyway.

Any time i saw the bike marshals they seemed to be playing it smart and sneaking up behind lads. I heard of a good few penalties, but also heard stories of a few trains going around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Here's an interesting look at things,

You might even see yourself :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1102&v=R-9AKGnZPCU

• Registered Users Posts: 4 HMathlete

this link working for anyone else? Gutted I cant see the video!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

I was part of relay team quit at the end of the pack and the amount of drafting was disgraceful!!! In fairness there were segments where not drafting was not an option, too many cyclists on the road.
    Furious when I got stuck behind 5 cars around 37km mark, there were people dangerously overtaking and marshals on the motorbikes didn't do much about it.
    That said it was an open road event so can't really complain.
    Amazing day, by far the hardest cycle I did in long time and loved every single minute of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Ceepo wrote: »
    Here's an interesting look at things,

You might even see yourself :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1102&v=R-9AKGnZPCU

Should be disqualified , over the white line a good few times hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Should be disqualified , over the white line a good few times hahaha

Was thinking that myself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

https://www.facebook.com/#!/triathlonireland

Bryan Keane Features, the Maco from my swim group features

as does our own mossym... with a cape, not looking as happy tho! :pac:

for fecks sake. the irony of showing me while they said everyone made it home safe. the only edjit who didn't.

as for that blanket, ambulance crew insisted on it. given the shivering that went on after it i was glad of it though

and i finally get into a race video and it's for a bloody race i don't finish