Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recruitment agencies

Options
  • 09-01-2015 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hey All,

I'm looking into applying for new jobs in the near future, I've been in my current position for the guts of a decade so havent a clue which agencies are good/bad.... Would people have any recommendations?.

My background is in Java server development and some front end client development.... anyone used any decent agencies recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

No such thing as a decent agency. They all mostly post the same jobs anyway. Just use the usual jobsites to find postings and apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Only one I don't like to deal with is Reperio because they hound you for years later once they've got your details.

God knows what the data protection office would say about how long a recruitment agency should hold your details for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

boardie100 wrote: »
    Hey All,

I'm looking into applying for new jobs in the near future, I've been in my current position for the guts of a decade so havent a clue which agencies are good/bad.... Would people have any recommendations?.

My background is in Java server development and some front end client development.... anyone used any decent agencies recently?

I've dealt with a number of them so far and they've all time wasters for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Only one I don't like to deal with is Reperio because they hound you for years later once they've got your details.

God knows what the data protection office would say about how long a recruitment agency should hold your details for.

I think they all do that. I'm still getting emails from an Australian agency I used in 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

srsly78 wrote: »
    No such thing as a decent agency. They all mostly post the same jobs anyway. Just use the usual jobsites to find postings and apply.

I would echo this. I have found that agencies are more hassle than they are worth and they all tend to have the same jobs anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Unfortunately you have to use them tho, many companies do not hire directly - especially for contract roles etc. So it becomes a question of figuring out which agency is the least worst. It can be pretty funny seeing the exact same job advertised by many different agencies, with up to a 50% variation in the rate. Can easily tell who adds the biggest markup.

Once your cv is on file with various agencies they will all call you at the same time, once the magical keywords match.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 digitalnative

Hi folks

Does anyone have any recommendations for recruitment companies that are good with dealing with maturer people in the Dublin, Wicklow area.

I'm 50+ and am currently searching.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Unfortunately you have to use them tho, many companies do not hire directly - especially for contract roles etc.

This isn't true for non-advertised roles. If a role hasn't been tendered to agencies, it can be nabbed by you directly if you hear about it.

For example, last week I heard that Microsoft Azure are looking for cross-platform kernel experience, so via a friend who sits on the OpenStack government board I reached out to the leadership of Azure at Microsoft, and basically propositioned myself at them. I hopefully will snag that role before it ever gets publicly advertised.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

I agree about lack of decent agencies in Ireland. Some individual agents are great, but the agencies not so much.

I would say that most companies spread the word about upcoming open roles before going to agencies, which are expensive. Most of the C++ open roles appear at the Dublin C++ users meetings many months before they appear on jobsites. So OP get yourself down to such enthusiast meetings, and get a personal referral from a senior engineer at an employer, thus skipping both agencies and the HR department.

Niall

Advertisement