Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player and Chromecast

Options
  • 09-01-2015 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hopefully I'm in the right forum, and apologies if not...
    We recently got a Chromecast and are using it to watch Netflix and YouTube on our TV. I downloaded the RTE Player app to my phone, hoping to use it the same way but the cast icon hasn't appeared and I'm too inept to figure it out solo.
    Any help gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The RTE app doesn't support Chromecast at the moment. Hopefully, they add it at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Only way for teh moment is if your phone supports casting the screen while you then go on to watch RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

Thanks for such quick replies. I'm just glad there's not some really obvious button I had completely missed!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭piptypibe

Just wondering about an update to this?! Installed my new chromecast here today and happily watching Netflix, YouTube but not RTE Player. Is this still the case?
    Thanks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I used it to watch The Late Late Toy Show but it was terrible as I was casting the tab rather then directly from the App.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Is this still not possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

murphaph wrote: »
    Is this still not possible?

Was about to ask the same thing.

There was a press release by RTE early in the year; saying they would build a new platform that would allow the RTE Player App be used on Chromecast and that it would be available by year end.

I guess they have another few weeks to meet the target.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The RTE app doesn't support Chromecast at the moment. Hopefully, they add it at a later stage.

fast forward to late 2017 and still nope

fairly pathetic to not have added support by now for what is a very widely used device.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Millea123

Mind them setting a day but keeping to it? It's RTE that'll take ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm sure the latest version of the player does have Chromecast support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I'm sure the latest version of the player does have Chromecast support.

I tried to do this only a week or so ago and there was no support

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

Definitely working on the iOS platform guys. It was a pleasant discovery a few weeks ago and is actually working really well apart from the odd connection loss during an ad break which they don't broadcast on the app

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

slightly off topic but does the tv3 pllayer app have chromecast support?

I've been trying to use the rte/tv3 apps on the fire tv/stick by sideloading the apk's onto the device but the interface is pretty rubbish. If the chromecast now supports both I'll just pick that up - Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Peadar_85 wrote: »
    Definitely working on the iOS platform guys. It was a pleasant discovery a few weeks ago and is actually working really well apart from the odd connection loss during an ad break which they don't broadcast on the app

I’m using an iPhone and Chromecast to watch Netflix and YouTube etc.

Are you saying that I should be able to watch RTÉ the same way?

I have the RTÉ Player app on my phone, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to stream it to the Chromecast. (It’s now almost a year since RTÉ’s big announcement about a new digital platform.)

I would love to be able to avoid a Saorview aerial, and my computers are in an upstairs office - so, ideally via Chromecast of possible.

Thanks.

D.

Advertisement