Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Series link spec

• 09-01-2015 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hi can anyone give me the tech specs used for series link on Saorview. I have a Humax T2 HDR which worked well on series link up to the end of the summer when Saorview changed the transmission code and I lost all series link features. I want to contact Humax and see if its possible to update the firmware on my box. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Contact Saorview and talk to them.

They changed the signal in the latter half of last year regarding series link to more closely adhere to the Nordig spec and further from the UK D-book spec.

This made all but Walker PVRs not work with series link when they had previously. They have also messed with the general Saorview signal to include 38 blank channel headers to confuse non-Saorview receivers, plus other changes to screw up as many non Saorview receivers as possible..

A formal complaint to RTE and 2RN should be made. Also a complaint to Comreg who deny any responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭BowWow

Contact Saorview and talk to them.
    They changed the signal in the latter half of last year regarding series link to more closely adhere to the Nordig spec and further from the UK D-book spec.
    This made all but Walker PVRs not work with series link when they had previously. They have also messed with the general Saorview signal to include 38 blank channel headers to confuse non-Saorview receivers, plus other changes to screw up as many non Saorview receivers as possible..
    A formal complaint to RTE and 2RN should be made. Also a complaint to Comreg who deny any responsibility.

Sam:
    We should complain to Saorview that they are adhering to the published specs?
    Cant agree with this - why should they even consider it?
    Haymur is right to be asking Humax to see if they could do something. Should be possible for them to have an "Ireland" option on set up, which would fix Summer Time, Series Link and LCN issues.

Haymur:
    Humax are well aware of the Saorview Spec - its published. Try writing to them - I have as I also have a T2 HDR. The more people that contact them, the better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The summer time problem is a Saorview problem - Freesat works perfectly.

Humax have no interest in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

So the summer time problem is present on Saorview approved equipment too? (And what does Freesat have to do with anything?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Humax have no interest in Ireland.
    Therein lies the problem.
    It is up to manufacturers to adhere to the specs, rather than bending said specs to adhere to an uninterested manufacturer's product...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

I think the simple point is that series link worked perfectly for a long time until Saorview went out of their way to ensure it did not work.

I watch less RTE now since series link disappeared as I forget to record some programs. RTE needs more viewers to keep advertisers and should not be letting them drift away.

Kensington wrote: »
    Therein lies the problem.
    It is up to manufacturers to adhere to the specs, rather than bending said specs to adhere to an uninterested manufacturer's product...

Not quite.

TVs are built to adhere to multi-country specs and when installed, one country is selected. In overlap areas, this may cause difficulty.

We are talking about a nuanced element of the Nordig spec. Under the Memorandum of Understanding between the Irish Gov anf the British Gov of 2010 (iirc) it was agreed to make the TV standards converge. I would take that as allowing the bending of the specs to accommodate situations like this. Many people can receive overlap signals on both sides of the border and should be accommodated if possible. The series link was achieving that for some time until, inexplicably, the Saorview signal was altered to knock out the Humax and other PVRs, but leave the Walker PVR as the only one standing.

This must have been deliberate but it cannot be for commercial reasons because there is no commercial interest between Saorview and Walker, now is there - or is there?

I think the simple point is that series link worked perfectly for a long time

It worked perfectly in the experience of people posting here.

Weren't Saorview seemingly using Freeview coding values in series link, & then changed to the NorDig values? I wonder were there any problems, or potential for problems in Saorview/Freeview overlap areas?

If there were problems, it came from TV3 using the same codes as UTV for their identical programmes. TV3 should have generated their own codes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Thurston? wrote: »
    It worked perfectly in the experience of people posting here.

Weren't Saorview seemingly using Freeview coding values in series link, & then changed to the NorDig values? I wonder were there any problems, or potential for problems in Saorview/Freeview overlap areas?

I'm in a spill over area, get all the FV and SV channels and there was no problem. And it was working on the sole Walker SV PVR. So everyone was happy except Walker..

• Advertisement

I'm in a spill over area, get all the FV and SV channels and there was no problem.

Might have depended what you were recording though?

TBH, I have no real idea of what goes on in a DVB transport stream, was just wondering if it was possible Saorview weren't acting unilaterally here.

Thurston? wrote: »
    Might have depended what you were recording though?

TBH, I have no real idea of what goes on in a DVB transport stream, was just wondering if it was possible Saorview weren't acting unilaterally here.

I can think of no reason for Saorview to generate 38 blank channel headers in the data stream, nor any reason why they have changed the order of channels such they have screwed up my TV so I cannot put RTE 1 at position one, which it was until recently.

They are up to something and it is secret.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭ei9go

I have a Panasonic freeview hd recorder which worked perfectly with series link until RTE disabled it.

Their loss. I now record from UK channels.

I would have recorded Homeland if it had series link but instead recorded it from CH4.

In most TV's you can renumber the channels in any order you like. Check your manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

ei9go wrote: »
    I have a Panasonic freeview hd recorder which worked perfectly with series link until RTE disabled it.

Their loss. I now record from UK channels.

I would have recorded Homeland if it had series link but instead recorded it from CH4.
    I'm a bit confused when you say it's "Their loss" ---- do you pay money to them??
    I am equally confused by a TV advert we have running on this side of the water for "Freeview" --- what is the point of pushing a free service ?
    Every TV sold in the UK has a Freeview tuner --- I don't get it I must be thick!!
    Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Simi

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused when you say it's "Their loss" ---- do you pay money to them??
    I am equally confused by a TV advert we have running on this side of the water for "Freeview" --- what is the point of pushing a free service ?
    Every TV sold in the UK has a Freeview tuner --- I don't get it I must be thick!!
    Regards

If he's no longer recording it from RTE he's no longer a viewer & doesn't count towards the viewing figures they use to sell advertising space.

Though I suspect the small number of people using freeview equipment to record shows aren't going to have the numbers to make much of a difference.

I presume advertisers don't look kindly on drops in viewing figures?

Public service? Trying to get the message across to the maximum number of people that they don't necessarily need the pay TV providers, to get a satisfactory TV service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Thurston? Simi.
    Thanks for the replies -- yes I suppose it's all to do with figures.
    I haven't seen any Freesat ads over this side for quite a while ..
    Regards

Advertisement