Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ethernet to Firewire

• 09-01-2015 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭

Quick question guys. The missus has a camera where she works which only has an Ethernet port which you connect to the computer to stream the data but the software they use won't recognise it as it's not a usb connection.
    I see lots of Ethernet to usb adapters online, will this do the job or does it merely provide an Ethernet connection to the laptop and not the other direction

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

most just appear as another ethernet connection when you plug them in

you can write/get software wedges to "translate" say ethernet to serial port stuff

eg : bar code readers

( windows i know but just for example :

http://www.taltech.com/winwedge )

what make / model camera is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Most Ethernet cameras (network or IP cameras) will have a web interface to manage/stream them, so it's often just finding out the IP address of the camera. Plugging an IP camera straight in to your computer won't do (without manual setup and using a special "crossover" cable), you'll need an Ethernet hub or switch to which you connect your computer, the camera, and any other network equipment.

In a regular home setup, your ISP would normally provide a router that has some "LAN" Ethernet ports. Plugging the camera in to one, and the PC in to another would allow your PC access the camera (and even allow you to configure the router to allow for external access over the internet).

In your case, the USB>Ethernet adaptor is of no value, no. To get some better advice, post details of the camera and your network setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Ok I have found out a bit more now guys, basically my missus is a Neuroscientist and the camera is for observing animal behavious (camera is a Basler aca1300-60mNIR) and the software they are trying to use it with is called ANY-Maze (the software cost $10,000 so switching is not an option)

They can ping the IP address of the camera and can see the data stream from it in another software program but not the one they wish. If they plug a normal USB Webcam into the computer they can see it on the desired software

I wasnt aware they could see the data stream from the camera using different software before

Advertisement