Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas robin

• 09-01-2015 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Meant to post this before.. In our Cathedral in Killarney we have a wonderful Nativity garden each year.. Bird and animals ( statues) tucked into corners and bushes wherever you look. This last Christmas a real robin got in and has been resident there every since. They supply food and water and he flies about singing his heart out in the great vaulted roof.. kids haunt the place hoping they will see him.. he was a star! I am sure they have coped with releasing him when they dismantled it... not been in since

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

That's terrible, Keeping a wild bird trapped like that. Illegal also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

That's terrible, Keeping a wild bird trapped like that. Illegal also.

From reading the OP, it doesn't sound like the robin was captured intentionally.

The cathedral, in my opinion, is huge. It's quite possible that the robin lets himself in whenever he pleases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

From reading the OP, it doesn't sound like the robin was captured intentionally.

The cathedral, in my opinion, is huge. It's quite possible that the robin lets himself in whenever he pleases.

He came in of his free will ....yes huge.... he was one very happy robin. They often stay in eg garden centres and shopping malls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 wrote: »
    Meant to post this before.. In our Cathedral in Killarney we have a wonderful Nativity garden each year.. Bird and animals ( statues) tucked into corners and bushes wherever you look. This last Christmas a real robin got in and has been resident there every since. They supply food and water and he flies about singing his heart out in the great vaulted roof.. kids haunt the place hoping they will see him.. he was a star! I am sure they have coped with releasing him when they dismantled it... not been in since

please note bolded words!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Pigeons often live inside large Cathedrals too - smart bird getting out of the winter weather! I bet his song sounded lovely echoing off the walls in there:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I am surprised they did not try to get him out straight away, birds can be a problem as they **** everywhere, not nice if there is a lot of carpet

I have seen it many times and its almost impossible to catch so you can release it again.

Dont worry about the comments above, there are always people who have the finger on their animal rights trigger looking for an opportunity to pull it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

You're probably correct. The line from Grace7's post had me thinking the bird was trapped in the display (perhaps the crib was in a large glass case).
    Graces7 wrote: »
    I am sure they have coped with releasing him when they dismantled it... not been in since

Advertisement