Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this shrink wrapped part of this dc jack cable for mb?

Options
  • 09-01-2015 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

What is this black heat shrink surrounding the red cable in the middle and when installing this onto a motherboard can I just use some sort of glue?

Thanks.

image.jpg[/url]
    image hosting 10mb limit

What is this black heat shrink surrounding the red cable in the middle and when installing this onto a motherboard can I just use some sort of glue?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It looks like a choke/filter under the shrink wrap. These are usually EMI filters to stop emissions propagating along the cable.

I'm not sure why you would want to glue this onto a motherboard, is it to stop the connector coming out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

It looks like a choke/filter under the shrink wrap. These are usually EMI filters to stop emissions propagating along the cable.

I'm not sure why you would want to glue this onto a motherboard, is it to stop the connector coming out?

I haven't opened the laptop up yet and I haven't ran across a jack like this before - I never thought until you said it there that it probably just sits in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

I expected initially that I would need to use a soldering iron!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

euser1984 wrote: »
    I expected initially that I would need to use a soldering iron!

Nah looks like a JST connector, so should just push in....

Advertisement