Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mercantile Marine KIA officer from Galway medals

• 09-01-2015 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi all,

One of my other random pick up last month from Northern Ireland. Nice pair with unique name on the rim and because the price was right, I picked them up. Research turned out that the pair to be pretty rare with Irish interest!

Byron John Squire GRAHAM (12 January 1889 - 19 September 1917)

Byron was born as a son of John Graham and Mary Eleanor (nee Squire) Graham in Galway at the 12th January 1889. His father was commissioned Coast Guard in Cleggan, Co.Galway. He had as well three sisters. At least 1901 Graham's family still station in Galway.
    Looks like Byron choosed mariner career at early age. 1910 he was listed in the Coast Guard Station in Teelin Carrick, Co.Donegal.
    Same year he also passed his first 2nd Class Mate examination in Liverpool (certificate number 041781).
    Also before the year of 1911 his family moved to 35 Carfrae Terrace, Lipson, Plymouth.
    2nd Mate Byron John Squire Graham started his service as an officer on board of sale ship "Port Patrick" on the 22.06.1910 until 19.05.1913.

23865629cb5c15_l.jpg

SS "Port Patrick"

Then he moved on to the cargo ship SS "Tronto" 08.04.1914 until 19.11.1914.

Tronto-1905.jpg

SS "Tronto"

Next Byron served on the ship SS "Nubian" 20.02.1915 until 23.09.1916.

Nubian-1912.jpg

SS "Nubian"

Following move on his Masters and Mates documents is not recorded but I presume he moved then to the steamer SS "Saint Roland".
    This ship was built 1910 by Wm. Hamilton & Co., Ltd., Port Glasgow and was operating under British & Foreign SS. Co., Ltd. (Rankin, Gilmour & Co., Ltd.), Liverpool.
    During their voyage that started on 31 August 1917 from Chesapeake Bay (convoy HH21) carrying nitrate to Liverpool, Saint Roland was attacked by German submarine U 82 commanded by Kapitänleutnant Hans Adams. As a result, ship was sunk and 24 lives lost, including Byron John Squire Graham. I also checked other names out on CWGC site and looks like their crew was very international, including sailors from Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Italy, Brazil, Japan, Holland.

adam.jpg

Kapitänleutnant Hans Adams (awarded Pour le Mérite november 1917)

His medals were applied by his mother on the 3rd March 1923. His savings £112 went to his father John Graham, pensioned coastguard officer.

Byron is commemorated at the Tower Hill Memorial. Also he is listed on the William Henry book "Forgotten Heroes, Galway Soldiers of the Great War 1914-1918" and S. D. & D. B. Jarvis book "The Cross of Sacrifice: The Officers, Men and Women of the Merchant Navy and Mercantile Fleet Auxiliary 1914-1919".

Also because I had a little pit free time during the Christmas, I carried out a mounting job:

23863247af3ab0_l.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 irishrellie

Hi Phaethon,

Thank you so much for your wonderful research on Byron Graham after finding his WW1 medals. As a distant family member I really appreciate all of your hard work to identify him and his seafaring history, as well as to spend time mounting his medals. There are so many who are lost to us who are looking to find them. It is very exciting to see the medals for real (if images can be considered real). if you ever wish to move them on......please consider.

Cheers,
    Irishrellie

Advertisement