Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Main Street Cork City

Options
  • 09-01-2015 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86,660 ✭✭✭✭

Roman House and Maher Sports gone, rumours of Iceland or Asda opening there now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

...presume you mean Aldi?

Although an Asda would be very interesting!

Have Roman House and Mahers closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Roman house closed yesterday mahers later this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭brevity

Please not an Iceland. Please not an Iceland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Surprised at mahers, is that their only city centre branch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The Roman House closed? :eek:

Have they closed down or simply relocated?

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »

Why? I find Iceland very useful for certain things! :P As long as it ain't Starbucks or Costa, I'm happy...And didn't Aldi just open a store at the Elysium?
    MrMac84 wrote: »
    Surprised at mahers, is that their only city centre branch?

Is there one on Oliver Plunkett St? Thought that was Maher's but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

Is there one on Oliver Plunkett St? Thought that was Maher's but not sure.

Mahers are on Maylor Street, by the side door of Debenhams,

maybe they have a door on Oliver Plunkett Street too

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

cookie75 wrote: »
    Mahers are on Maylor Street, by the side door of Debenhams,

maybe they have a door on Oliver Plunkett Street too

The maylor street store opens onto Oliver Plunkett street also.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

There's also a Mahers on North Main Street, which considering the thread title, is probably the one in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Hopefully it is just the NMS shop that's closing. I go to the one on Maylor Street/OP Street quite a lot, would be sad to see that go

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was really surprised by Maher's closing as well, always liked that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Back 10 years ago, the Mahers in North Main Street was they're main store. However they did up the place on Maylor Street and the place on North Main Street fell a bit into the doldrums.

Was very poorly stocked for a number of years and what really killed it was removing half of its floor space for a mothercare rival shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

bleach94 wrote: »
    Hopefully it is just the NMS shop that's closing. I go to the one on Maylor Street/OP Street quite a lot, would be sad to see that go

they said it would be just the North main street one will close as their Maylor street store would be their city center location. i always preferred that one anyway probably because it's nearer where i park and they stocked martial arts stuff, so it was always handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Back 10 years ago, the Mahers in North Main Street was they're main store. However they did up the place on Maylor Street and the place on North Main Street fell a bit into the doldrums.

Was very poorly stocked for a number of years and what really killed it was removing half of its floor space for a mothercare rival shop.

There's no way that was their main store. Even before the redevelopment, going back to the 90s Mahers on Oliver plunkett was much bigger and far better stocked. Cummins next store always had better stock than the one in North main St.

So why has the Roman House closed -any idea people?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

So why has the Roman House closed -any idea people?

Maybe digital photography finally caught up on their business model.
    The only time I ever remember anyone going in there was my dad getting films developed cheaply.
    What else did they do? Cheap jewelry and holy trinkets?

They do a tad more than that.

Such a shame. My niece worked there, but she was being messed about so often with the hours as the owner was doing her best to keep all the staff in work, when she should have probably let some go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I presume their model was undercut by others retailers in particular online sellers. I had to get anniversary cards done in the last year and the Roman House just couldn't compete on price with the online seller I ended up getting them from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

brevity wrote: »

Nothing at all wrong with Iceland, I make the journey to midleton every week, saving a fortune compared with lidl, aldi, tesco and dunnes, I wonder what will be the next to go on that street,sad times for north main street

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I just hope Bradley's survive.
    Best off license in town with biggest selection of Irish beers.
    Great stockist of artisan, local food products, including Arbutus bread.
    Family run for generations.
    Good folk.

• Advertisement

I just hope Bradley's survive.
    Best off license in town with biggest selection of Irish beers.
    Great stockist of artisan, local food products, including Arbutus bread.
    Family run for generations.
    Good folk.
    Bradleys and Kellehers must surely be the 2 oldest shops on the street

• Registered Users Posts: 86,660 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is there any shops open in the shopping centre or it is completely empty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Really dont think there is anything in there anymore its just a walk way for the carpark. You have the Camist at the front and the shop and thats it. Complate waste of a huge unit. You see many large retailers saying they need a big unit in the city there is one a huge one but as its in north main st they wont go near the place.

So much you can do with the old Dunnes unit but i dont think anyone will do anything with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Really dont think there is anything in there anymore its just a walk way for the carpark. You have the Camist at the front and the shop and thats it. Complate waste of a huge unit. You see many large retailers saying they need a big unit in the city there is one a huge one but as its in north main st they wont go near the place.

So much you can do with the old Dunnes unit but i dont think anyone will do anything with it.

I don't blame them. It's tucked away off a one way street, they'd want somewhere with ease of access. They might be able to make it work in North Main Street but you'd probably need an entrance point on the Quays side to make it look more appealing.

Dunnes are still the owners of that unit. They aren't pushed about selling it.

The council only have themselves to blame for the mess that is north Main Street

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

KC161 wrote: »
    Dunnes are still the owners of that unit. They aren't pushed about selling it.

The council only have themselves to blame for the mess that is north Main Street

Slight contradiction in your post. The biggest landowner in the area, Dunnes have demonstrated absolutely zero interest in the area's regeneration, and are happy to allow their lands to become permanently derelict. However, it seems that this is the Council's fault. Why is it always the Council's fault?

mire wrote: »
    Slight contradiction in your post. The biggest landowner in the area, Dunnes have demonstrated absolutely zero interest in the area's regeneration, and are happy to allow their lands to become permanently derelict. However, it seems that this is the Council's fault. Why is it always the Council's fault?

People have no interest in the central island as much as they once did.

Why go to North main street, pay for parking when they can get it all with free parking in Wilton,Mahonpoint,Douglas,Blackpool?

All with free parking.

Even when the buses were on strike the city centre was like a ghost town.

I never heard any similar complaints on the above mentioned shopping centre's during that time,

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Daybreak and the Chemist.

Both of which have an entrance each independent of the shopping centre itself.

The car park and toilets are the only thing actually in use in there.

Was in there recently actually and seen the plaque on the wall from when it opened in 1993 by the now infamous lord mayor of that year.

KC161 wrote: »

Even when the buses were on strike the city centre was like a ghost town.....................

You'd expect that to be fair.
    Many of the folk who go there get there on buses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement