Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NXT 2017 Thread *SPOILERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Monokne wrote: »

A month from now when Braun Strowman gets beaten, I'll be on here reading people talking about how he had such a huge upside if only he was protected. :eek::D

He wont last long, he looks and moves horribly. He was only in NXT since december and by the looks of things hasnt improved at all. Looks wise he is a great fit but hes so much worse than Rowan and he was awful.

Also Ive a article up on Voices of Wrestling about the story of Enzo and Big Cass if anyones interested?

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2015/08/31/enzo-big-cass-the-unreal-tale-of-the-realest-guys-in-the-room/

While I feel they are limited in the ring, I believe they can carve a niche for themselves on the main roster soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

DM_7 wrote: »
    But why would the E bother?

The Shield members as a comparison had talent and potential, making them strong over existing stars makes sense as they will be around as important stars themselves for a long time.

The Ascension are not worth that type of booking as they don't have any real potential.

I suppose the question then becomes "Why bother bringing them up at all then"? Why bring them up to turn them into jobbers who can barely get on TV when there's...
    A. Already plenty of teams who can cover the bases, so to speak, and participate more meaningfully on shows.
    B. Plenty more talented people below them waiting to get the call up.

I wouldn't see the point of bringing up some jobbers with fancy face paint; if that's the level they are at, boot them and focus time on someone who does have potential to rise the ranks.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I suppose the question then becomes "Why bother bringing them up at all then"? Why bring them up to turn them into jobbers who can barely get on TV when there's...
    A. Already plenty of teams who can cover the bases, so to speak, and participate more meaningfully on shows.

I wouldn't see the point of bringing up some jobbers with fancy face paint; if that's the level they are at, boot them and focus time on someone who does have potential to rise the ranks.

There could be underlying things going on, NXT is Triple H's baby, The Ascenion look impressive there. They come up and Vince perhaps makes them look like jokes as some sort of spiteful move in the wake of NXTs success.

Im probably reading too much into this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

You need fresh job guys. Bo Dallas is the new Heath Slater, the Ascension is the other two guys in 3MB. Nothing wrong with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So we can expect Bo-cension in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

We need jobbers, The Ascension are jobbers & in my opinion that's probably their ceiling anyway. I have no issue with them being called up to lose.

I'd have more issue with Lucha Dragons being called up; there was a genuine opening on the roster for a tag team to replace the Usos as the babyface crowd favourites with merchandise aimed at kids & Lucha Dragons may well have fit the bill both in terms of skill, moveset & appearance. For some reason they've not been given much to do since debuting after Mania.

I agree there. In general, the way this company uses latin stars is so strange. They are allegedly desperate for another breakout latin star. Yet they bring these two with absolutely no plans to push them. To be fair, I think Sin Cara has little upside. He's clunky and clumsy, and that takes the act down. I'd almost be more inclined to see Neville paired with Kalisto, I can see that act getting more of a look.

Monokne wrote: »
    I agree there. In general, the way this company uses latin stars is so strange. They are allegedly desperate for another breakout latin star. Yet they bring these two with absolutely no plans to push them. To be fair, I think Sin Cara has little upside. He's clunky and clumsy, and that takes the act down. I'd almost be more inclined to see Neville paired with Kalisto, I can see that act getting more of a look.

Kalisto could have debuted in similar vein to Rey Mysterio, a few weeks worth of mysterious vignettes, followed by him debutting by making the save during a big smoz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

• Advertisement

Ageyev wrote: »

Depends on their contract, NXT workers are on developmental deals by-in-large, which means they earn pennies in compared to the main roster counterparts.

Bayley for example probably didnt earn anything close to what Sasha Owens or Balor earned at the last Takeover even though they all main evented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

And rightfully so. They're not filling 10k arenas on a regular basis and perform in front of 100's every few weeks.

We need jobbers, The Ascension are jobbers & in my opinion that's probably their ceiling anyway. I have no issue with them being called up to lose.

I'd have more issue with Lucha Dragons being called up; there was a genuine opening on the roster for a tag team to replace the Usos as the babyface crowd favourites with merchandise aimed at kids & Lucha Dragons may well have fit the bill both in terms of skill, moveset & appearance. For some reason they've not been given much to do since debuting after Mania.

In relation to the Ascension, they just turned up on Smackdown beating down Neville and aligning with Stardust. Being the muscle for Stardust seems like a good fit for them, however Id rather Stardust just go away and return as Cody.

Alas WWE and Cody seem hellbent at doing this Stardust act, so Konor and Viktor might as well ride his coat tales to nowhere. It beats being out and out jobbers.

Cody was studying to be an actor before ending up in wrestling, and he apparently LIVES for this Stardust gimmick.

Personally I don't think there's any real upside to him at this stage whatever role he's playing because he's a dyed in the wool midcarder by now. But I'm with you that Stardust doesn't do much for me. It SCREAMS opening match guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I like Cody, but can't see him as being a top guy just yet.

The whole Stardust thing is definitely mid card fodder at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

When goldust/cody were feuding with the Shield Cody was starting to get over in a big way but instead of capitalizing on it WWE just let him hang around. I definitely think Cody could rise up the card on his own. Don't feel the same about the Stardust gimmick. Only so far you can go with it. Although props to Cody for putting his all into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I think Cody is genuinely into the gimmick and wants to make it work but yeah, can only go so far with it. If they played up the darker aspects instead of the total goof ball angle that was the Amell feud it would obviously help.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jon Stark wrote: »
    I think Cody is genuinely into the gimmick and wants to make it work but yeah, can only go so far with it. If they played up the darker aspects instead of the total goof ball angle that was the Amell feud it would obviously help.

I think he could easily feud with higher guys if they went that darker route, though I don't know if he'd ever get near a title. But I could easily see the oddball gimmick working as both a top face or heel. I mean, it's not that much more extreme than Bray's Cult Leader gimmick. Its easy to show Cody's had a mental break down, and they did well by keeping the character tied to Cody, rather than ignoring the other guy ever existed....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,017 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think he could easily feud with higher guys if they went that darker route, though I don't know if he'd ever get near a title. But I could easily see the oddball gimmick working as both a top face or heel. I mean, it's not that much more extreme than Bray's Cult Leader gimmick. Its easy to show Cody's had a mental break down, and they did well by keeping the character tied to Cody, rather than ignoring the other guy ever existed....

Well if dusty passing away didn't make him drop the character then nothing will. I will say that both him and goldust have a gift for turning chicken **** into chicken salad. I mean the goldust character wouldn't have worked if done by anyone else IMO.

I'm watching NOC 2014 atm and goldust can still go and Cody is a real talent in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well if dusty passing away didn't make him drop the character then nothing will. I will say that both him and goldust have a gift for turning chicken **** into chicken salad. I mean the goldust character wouldn't have worked if done by anyone else IMO.

I'm watching NOC 2014 atm and goldust can still go and Cody is a real talent in the ring.

He kept the character because Dusty died. He looked at his phone to contact everyone Dusty knew for his funeral and his wallpaper was a picture of Stardust confronting Amell.

Cody is playing Stardust by choice, a deeply personal choice. Good luck to him. I enjoy the character, he stands out in a roster of interchangeable, bland characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

DM_7 wrote: »
    But why would the E bother?

The Shield members as a comparison had talent and potential, making them strong over existing stars makes sense as they will be around as important stars themselves for a long time.

The Ascension are not worth that type of booking as they don't have any real potential.
    The WWE could bother with them for a myriad of reasons. The same could be said about why they were given such a lengthy NXT Tag Team Championship reign. What I would have done with them would be have them feud with The New Day leading to a pay per view to mix things up a bit and hold off from the Dudleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

To be honest I enjoy the character he shouldn't have been involved with Amell though , I really think the character has serious legs if the bookers get behind it and having join the Asecension seems a good idea

I agree. He can become even more of a heel if he has them doing all of his dirty work for them. I also think it might be no harm if a celebrity got their ass kicked wrestling occasionally.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Speaking of which I loved how Owens dumped MGK's throw a table (and off the stage) really surprised they didn't talk that up more. NOt That said don't expect too many celebs involved in NXT but could see a few more Liger type arrangements which would be great imo

Well I was impressed to see the two Ring Of Honor guys turn up on the last episode, as I don't read spoilers. Machine Gun Kelly isn't that big of a celebrity compared to some they get?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Well I was impressed to see the two Ring Of Honor guys turn up on the last episode, as I don't read spoilers. Machine Gun Kelly isn't that big of a celebrity compared to some they get?

tbh I thought he was terrible up (not a fan of his or his music) until he took that bump then I gotta admit he went in my estimation and I'd love to see some more celeb fans be willing to have such involvement. I can understand them not being up for it but imagine John Stewart (who did take an FU afterall) being powerbombed off the stage and through a table by a heel. Huge heat and mega media attention immediately.

I also like things like the above mentioned ROH guys showing up as it gives NXT that old school WWEF feeling of anything could happen akin to when WCW or ECW guys (essentially just anyone who was already established elsewhere and known of) would show up on Raw and get a pop or be treated like a big deal off the bat. It makes everything seem more impressive and more legit

Definitely. NXT has been very rewarding to see the last few years, because of that. I just hope we don't get to a stage where there's no one left out there to turn up and get those pops. It seems that the best performers on NXT aren't the ones they have trained up themselves, but the indie darlings who have all come in since it moved to Full Sail. Looking at celebrities who have been involved in WWE, I'm wondering were there any that could have potentially taken more bumps than they did. I hate when celebrities beat down wrestlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Just watching last week's NXT (post-Takeover). Holy God, Enzo & Cass's pop is amazing. Their Road Dogg-style sing-a-long crowd schtick is really heart-warming to see on a much larger scale. A real wonder how Trips was able to turn NXT into a hot third brand. Like having the talent is half the battle, but marketing it as the future of wrestling for hardcore fans is really impressive.

Yeah I was really confused as to how they were so over so quickly after they were given/settled upon these characters. They've really grown on me over the last number of months. It's funny though how some things have been over at NXT but not on the main roster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I love Enzo and Big Cass, I really hope they do well whenever they get brought up. I certainly think they've got the charisma to do well.

Advertisement