Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NXT 2017 Thread *SPOILERS*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

They could probably make a good heel tag team given the response here. I could imagine them being like the way the PC Frat guys are portrayed in south park for example or some pumped up gym monkey Jocks. In a similar veign to New Day they could think they awesome cos they "stay hyped" and try and get everyone else hyped but really everyone hates them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wasn't Mojo going the heel route before his injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just going by the tweets of the nxt people I follow they seem to be having a great time and the fans are helping big time. And they deserve it as the whole roster come across as really sound people bar maybe mojo which doesn't seem like much of an act. I mean baron Corbin is just not very outgoing and that comes across as a dick which it normally isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Just because Mojo is loud doesn't mean he's not sound. Seems like a really nice guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

Hmm I actually love Mojo's gimmick. He plays it well and he just comes across as a lovable Genki Guy. Baron Corbin on the other hand really comes across as a dick. Watching him on Breaking Ground lends a lot to that theory. Not really sure if I 'get' what they see in him. His gut looks too flabby and the receding hairline doesn't make him look intimidating. Nia Jax looked more impressive than him on the London show and she's only been on TV for a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Err, he's in character on Breaking Ground.

I worry more about his pathetic, spindly ballerina legs.

Strange how a debut and a return both take place at an international venue

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

CastorTroy wrote:

Think it was more they wanted to take advantage of the hot crowd. Like zayn came off as a huge star I felt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Not as strange as the so-called 'debuting' wrestler having already had several matches in NXT...

They also missed that the Vaudevillains were dressed as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Who, not Watson. He even had the 4th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver, which made my night :D

• Advertisement

It would have been stupid not to do the debut and the return in London. Doing it in front of a larger, louder audience makes the person come off like a bigger star.

Having said all that, I don't know of anything that's really going to make the Drifter a star.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

ShagNastii wrote: »
    The last person I'd like to see anywhere near NXT is Dreamer. I think anything post ECW for him has been lame AF.

Might roll of few eyes in the IWC and be a bit naff but dya know who I think would be novel or cool to return to NXT- The Natural "Dustin Rhodes". He pretty much IS Goldust now but I could be a fresh to see him return as himself for a small run.

The guy can still work his ass off at the top level, has that throwback quality and a link to NXT through Dusty's legacy in the setup.
    I'd much rather see Goldust get another decent run like he did with his brother last year. But it is something that could work, like when Goldust was declared dead by Dustin in 1998 and he went by his real name. Also, screw the IWC's :rolleyes: crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

Does anybody know if it's a new episode this week or another highlights show?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Does anybody know if it's a new episode this week or another highlights show?

Well nothing has been taped so i guess itll just be another highlights show tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Boy I have missed NXT for past two weeks.

I am happy that Carmella is #1 contender since I have grown to like her.

Trying to remember if WWE have done an over the top rope women's battle royal before? Usually seems to be going through or under the ropes counts.
    One thing this did remind me of is that they need to introduce some sort of rule to stop people from hiding outside the ring. I think it's overdone.
    Looks like Liv Morgan, Billie and Peyton are the next 3 they're gonna push.
    Wonder how many takes they had for their promos because at least Aaliyah didn't impress me there or from what I saw in the ring. Wondering if she was given the chance due to Breaking Ground.
    So now to wait for Carmella's turn.

As for the rest of show, was good. They need to stop bringing Ascension in just to lose. They left after having a successful run only to always lose on the main roster then come back to NXT and still lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

Trying to remember if WWE have done an over the top rope women's battle royal before? Usually seems to be going through or under the ropes counts.
    One thing this did remind me of is that they need to introduce some sort of rule to stop people from hiding outside the ring. I think it's overdone.
    Looks like Liv Morgan, Billie and Peyton are the next 3 they're gonna push.
    Wonder how many takes they had for their promos because at least Aaliyah didn't impress me there or from what I saw in the ring. Wondering if she was given the chance due to Breaking Ground.
    So now to wait for Carmella's turn.

As for the rest of show, was good. They need to stop bringing Ascension in just to lose. They left after having a successful run only to always lose on the main roster then come back to NXT and still lose.

I would say just the one take if you look at Cameron's bit.......

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I have to say I probably loved asuka roundhouse kicking Eva upside the head a bit too much. Haha

They need to stop bringing Ascension in just to lose. They left after having a successful run only to always lose on the main roster then come back to NXT and still lose.

So?

The Ascension have no upside. They are bad on promos, mediocre in the ring, have a poor look, and are void of charisma. Ergo, they've been cast as jobbers. The only place they ever had any credibility was NXT so it makes sense to cash in on that to give the rub to the guys who are there now. Put bluntly, if they're not out there doing jobs, they should just be cut. There is no equity left in the act or the individual performers.

It's nothing personal but I do think your take on this is indicative of a broader theme you see throughout the online wrestling fanbase. "X shouldn't be losing all the time". We need more people who lose all the time, not less. The alternative is add them to the list of performers who win half and lose half. That does no one any good.

If you are going to have stars in pro wrestling, you have to have bottom guys who's sole function is to build the stars. There's nothing wrong with that.

Thought this weeks show was good. They set the triple threat contenders match well, and the battle royal was fun. Love Eva. Big opportunity for Carmella. I'm kind of lukewarm on her, but I guess we'll see how she performs in this spot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

So, Cameron wanted to be #1 contender for the battle royal. And I see she's still doing that idiotic "girl bye" thing. As terrible as Eva is, at least she can draw heat for it. Some of the other promos were decent, others were just kinda confusing. Liked how Asuka's was just one line, and straight to the point.

Would love to see Zayn vs. Finn, though I get a feeling it'll be Corbin.

• Advertisement

Monokne wrote: »
    So?

The Ascension have no upside. They are bad on promos, mediocre in the ring, have a poor look, and are void of charisma. Ergo, they've been cast as jobbers. The only place they ever had any credibility was NXT so it makes sense to cash in on that to give the rub to the guys who are there now. Put bluntly, if they're not out there doing jobs, they should just be cut. There is no equity left in the act or the individual performers.

It's nothing personal but I do think your take on this is indicative of a broader theme you see throughout the online wrestling fanbase. "X shouldn't be losing all the time". We need more people who lose all the time, not less. The alternative is add them to the list of performers who win half and lose half. That does no one any good.

If you are going to have stars in pro wrestling, you have to have bottom guys who's sole function is to build the stars. There's nothing wrong with that.

Thought this weeks show was good. They set the triple threat contenders match well, and the battle royal was fun. Love Eva. Big opportunity for Carmella. I'm kind of lukewarm on her, but I guess we'll see how she performs in this spot.

I just meant they need to do something to remind people why The Ascension were champs for so long. Since leaving NXT so long ago, they've pretty much lost all their matches (not all, I know, but close enough) so they're not a threat. Think it was Jordan and Gable who said they wanted to face the Ascension because of their long reign. Of course want Jordan and Gable to win, but maybe just have the match 2 weeks from the night it's asked for, then have the Ascension attack and beat them down the week before to remind people that they can be tough. Otherwise it'll be less about "Can they beat the longest reigning NXT champions?" and more like "Sure who couldn't beat The Ascension?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I always assumed when they done those under the bottom rope diva battle royals, it was because a lot of the divas of the time wouldn't be able to safely go over the top rope, whereas now with the pc they're all up to speed in the ring

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Also, they couldn't have done that finish if it went by the regular diva battle royal rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

CastorTroy wrote:
    I just meant they need to do something to remind people why The Ascension were champs for so long. Since leaving NXT so long ago, they've pretty much lost all their matches (not all, I know, but close enough) so they're not a threat. Think it was Jordan and Gable who said they wanted to face the Ascension because of their long reign. Of course want Jordan and Gable to win, but maybe just have the match 2 weeks from the night it's asked for, then have the Ascension attack and beat them down the week before to remind people that they can be tough. Otherwise it'll be less about "Can they beat the longest reigning NXT champions?" and more like "Sure who couldn't beat The Ascension?"

You have to remember that you're not really meant to view NXT on the same level as the main roster even though (I would assume) most people that watch NXT prefer it over the main roster. They're meant to be two completely different brands ergo a territory back in the day.

WWE want you to look at NXT as the modern day USWA, where it was a seperate company that spawned many that went on to WWE but never achieved much, but when they occasionally reappeared on USWA with McMahons approval they were meant to be viewed as huge stars just because they've been to the "big league"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

How about this. If you go under or through the ropes you only have until the next person is eliminated before you get eliminated too. That way you could get still get heel heat/rest spots but tease a double elimination too. Failing that, a simple 10 second count out like a normal match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

A 10 count would work easy enough, there's usually loads of referees at ringside for them anyway.

That's fair.

A 10 count would work easy enough, there's usually loads of referees at ringside for them anyway.

This is counter intuitive to wrestling booking. It eliminates multiple potential highspots and finishes, like someone hiding outside the ring and running in, someone leaving the ring to meet an enemy in the aisle way, Kofi and his creative ways & means of getting back in the ring, etc, etc.

It also becomes problematic because if someone is hurt and needs to be checked by the medical staff they'll need to roll out of the ring. Do the refs just ignore this? It's awkward.

If the finish is overdone (I woudn't disagree with you on that), then the solution is...*drumroll* not to do it as much. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

This is counter intuitive to wrestling booking. It eliminates multiple potential highspots and finishes, like someone hiding outside the ring and running in, someone leaving the ring to meet an enemy in the aisle way, Kofi and his creative ways & means of getting back in the ring, etc, etc.

It also becomes problematic because if someone is hurt and needs to be checked by the medical staff they'll need to roll out of the ring. Do the refs just ignore this? It's awkward.

If the finish is overdone (I woudn't disagree with you on that), then the solution is...*drumroll* not to do it as much. :D

It wasn't me that made the point, I don't have much of an issue with the "hiding outside the ring" angle during these. Just saying that it would be easier than introducing new rules if the angle was ever to be stopped. I even enjoyed it this week as I was only half paying attention to the match and didn't know Carmella was still in :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

So?

It's nothing personal but I do think your take on this is indicative of a broader theme you see throughout the online wrestling fanbase. "X shouldn't be losing all the time". We need more people who lose all the time, not less. The alternative is add them to the list of performers who win half and lose half.

But as seen in NXT when they are developed and protected properly they were a good valued team. It was a big deal when lucha dragons defeated them atleast in my eyes. Since then the titles have jumped a bit from a few teams. I dont believe they failed on the main roster, I believe the creative on the main roster failed them. No better way to express that point by pointing to them getting beat down by nao and apa for no reason. Thats not how you promote a new team.

Jobbers are fine, but no point in having somewhat interesting gimmick characters and burying them, that way you are left with having to rmcalling on the golden oldies all the time.

Advertisement