Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NXT 2017 Thread *SPOILERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Elias Samson is the roman reigns of nxt. Boring, devoid of charisma and gets booed as soon as he walks out. At least they appear to have turned him heel this week.

He's been a heel this whole time geezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

LeeJM wrote: »
    Simple reason being that WWE isnt New Japan or RoH or PWG or whatever promotion is deemed to be better than WWE by the "hardcore fans" at the given moment.

Total oversimplification. I believe the original complaint was in regards to Zayn not really having any reason to wrestle Nakamura. Personally I don't mind simply because it's a match hard-core fans want to see and because that's basically the audience that NXT is geared towards and so the traditional method of setting up matches that you find on the main roster tends to be toned down in NXT. That being said, I can see the posters point and it's hardly "hating on WWE just to look cool."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

This whole craic of needing some sort of reason for any match to happen is a by-product of sports entertainment. If anything, matches just being announced like Shane McMahon vs. The Undertaker or Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Sami Zayn make WWE seem like a more legitimate sport. That's something I love to see. Not everything has to have some big drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Palo Alto wrote: »
    I don't like NXT booking like this.

Why is Zayn fighting him? No reason. Did he poo in his travel bag?

Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Fact he's going to lose doesn't help either. Stupid.
    Why, though.

No reason. Stupid.
    Ehh no, it's because it should be storyline based television and it's lazy as hell.

It's thick to have Zayn munch another loss for no reason.

Let him go out with back to back losses. Class mate.

Remember Zayn/Owens? That's what's called an angle, this is a joke and a rush job.
    Total oversimplification. I believe the original complaint was in regards to Zayn not really having any reason to wrestle Nakamura. Personally I don't mind simply because it's a match hard-core fans want to see and because that's basically the audience that NXT is geared towards and so the traditional method of setting up matches that you find on the main roster tends to be toned down in NXT. That being said, I can see the posters point and it's hardly "hating on WWE just to look cool."

Look at the quotes above, how am I oversimplifying it? He, Palo Alto is complaining that the match was made for no reason and was in his words "lazy" and "stupid". When given a reason from a storyline perspective and then also from a fan orientated perspective he still found fault with the decision to book said match.

I am going out on a limb here but I fully expect Palo Alto will be on the forum a day or two after Invasion Attack raving over Will Osprey and Kushida so can you explain the difference in the booking between those 2 matches apart from the obvious that one will take place in a WWE ring and the other in a NJPW ring.

People complain about things in WWE a lot, and I'm not saying any of the posters here do. But I hear so many people complaining about the same thing with WWE, shoe-horning in crap reasons for feuds into big matches. Then the minute something different happens people always seem to poke holes in it. One of the best matches for me in recent years was Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena. There was no feud between them to speak of leading into it.

• Advertisement

Look at the quotes above, how am I oversimplifying it? He, Palo Alto is complaining that the match was made for no reason and was in his words "lazy" and "stupid". When given a reason from a storyline perspective and then also from a fan orientated perspective he still found fault with the decision to book said match.

I am going out on a limb here but I fully expect Palo Alto will be on the forum a day or two after Invasion Attack raving over Will Osprey and Kushida so can you explain the difference in the booking between those 2 matches apart from the obvious that one will take place in a WWE ring and the other in a NJPW ring.

Perhaps there is an inherently different expectation in booking when one company presents itself as a sports entertainment company and the other a pro wrestling company. One has always played up the entertainment aspect of it's product and that has always been reflected in the format of the shows which it produces (eg. those 20 minute Raw opening promos serve the purpose of advancing storylines between wrestlers while also providing a hook for the show). On the other hand the other company places a lot of emphasis on the shoot aspect of it's product, it tends to present itself (at the top of the card at least) as a legitimate sport and thus the match making is far more akin to a combat sport like boxing or mma than the more soap opera style of a WWE feud. With all of that in mind, Palo Alto's comments are entirely fair simply because this is WWE deviating from a norm that we have been taught to expect for decades.

Perhaps there is an inherently different expectation in booking when one company presents itself as a sports entertainment company and the other a pro wrestling company. One has always played up the entertainment aspect of it's product and that has always been reflected in the format of the shows which it produces (eg. those 20 minute Raw opening promos serve the purpose of advancing storylines between wrestlers while also providing a hook for the show). On the other hand the other company places a lot of emphasis on the shoot aspect of it's product, it tends to present itself (at the top of the card at least) as a legitimate sport and thus the match making is far more akin to a combat sport like boxing or mma than the more soap opera style of a WWE feud. With all of that in mind, Palo Alto's comments are entirely fair simply because this is WWE deviating from a norm that we have been taught to expect for decades.

Once again I find myself disagreeing with you. People have complained about said 20 minute promos opening Raw (rightly so) for god knows how long now and yet when NXT shifts to a process that varies to the norm its still wrong and NJPW is lauded for booking in the very same way?

So based on your comments WWE and NXT by association have chosen their path and as such can never adapt or co-opt new ways to book matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

NXT is a very different product from WWE also. Almost every feud it does revolves around being the best and being the champion. In that kind of setting there is absolutely no problem having Zayn fight Nakamura without a soap opera reason. Honestly of all things worth complaining about when it comes to WWE a match between Zayn and Nakamura would be very very far down my list.

Once again I find myself disagreeing with you. People have complained about said 20 minute promos opening Raw (rightly so) for god knows how long now and yet when NXT shifts to a process that varies to the norm its still wrong and NJPW is lauded for booking in the very same way?

So based on your comments WWE and NXT by association have chosen their path and as such can never adapt or co-opt new ways to book matches.

Actually I think you will find that I've already stated that I didn't have any particular problem with how WWE have booked this match. Rather I simply disagreed with you insinuating that the other poster only disliked it because it happened in WWE. To ignore how feuds have traditionally been set up and played out in WWE compared to a Japanese wrestling company (not named DDT) is to completely miss the point and as such I can empathise with Palo Alto's viewpoint.

Of course they can but what you end up with is an inconsistent product. For the vast majority of the last 20 years the main heel in the company is either the matchmaker or has close ties with the matchmaker. The matchmaker is a key character on TV in their universe. Imagine how ridiculous it would be if in 1 segment the matchmaker is setting up key matches, then in the next the wrestlers are setting up matches themselves, it'd be entirely inconsistent. While you can find examples of WWE feuds where the wrestlers have booked matches themselves (Rock vs Cena) it seems entirely at odds with the rest of the shows characters, all of whom are under the thumb of an active authority figure.

Anyway too much thought has been put into this. They want Nakamura on their Dallas show. They want a big semi main event cos we've already seen Joe vs Balor and it's Mania weekend. Zayn is up to the main roster and is doing nothing else so sure why not him. Usually you'd get a tonne of interaction between the 2 and a storyline to drive it. They obviously can't do that here so they've gone down a different route, which they are entitled to do. It's a rare occurrence for a big match on a big show in WWE. I doubt we will see much if it on the main roster where a shoot influenced style of match making simply isn't possible given the sheer amount of TV time they must fill each week and what the audience has been conditioned to expect from the weekly shows and feuds in WWE in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Really looking forward to the match itself, I'm interested to see how they book Nakamura subsequently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was just curious but who would be considered the locker room leaders at NXT? Like I know from Breaking Ground that Bayley is one of the women others go to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was just curious but who would be considered the locker room leaders at NXT? Like I know from Breaking Ground that Bayley is one of the women others go to.

I'd imagine that in NXT the trainers do a lot of the typical lockeroom leader type stuff you would see in a normal promotion where it'd be the veteran wrestlers so the likes of Matt Bloom or Regal. That said you would also think that the people who have been in NXT the longest and the more approachable personality wise big names with lots of experience prior to NXT would also fill this space. For instance Breaking ground also showed that Tyler Breeze would somewhat be one to mentor newer NXT folk before his call up and you'd have to imagine someone like Balor although a seemingly reserved character would be looked up to by some there and they would approach him for advise on in ring stuff especially as people like the before mentioned Bloom & Regal respect who are the coaches there has so much respect for him.

That said all the above is assumption on my part

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

This whole craic of needing some sort of reason for any match to happen is a by-product of sports entertainment. If anything, matches just being announced like Shane McMahon vs. The Undertaker or Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Sami Zayn make WWE seem like a more legitimate sport. That's something I love to see. Not everything has to have some big drama.

This is spot on. One of the main issues of the cartoon and later jerry Springer style booking of the past 30 years on America tv is that there has been far too much emphasis on soap opera feuds than there has been on being the best and winning titles. Titles have become props whereas stupid s**t like bossman feeding al snow his dog and Katie Vick has dominated tv. Every friggin ppv match doesn't need a prior feud.

Ufc announce matches and then build backward. They did a better job building Diaz and McGregor in one week than WWE have trying to build heat between roman and hhh in five months

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Shane and Undertaker might not be the best example as the match is taking place because of a soap opera style syoryline but I agree with your point.

Smackdown a couple of weeks back had AJ Styles v Kevin Owens. That doesn't need a reason other than they want to beat each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This time next week Takeover will be on. 1 am start? Time difference back to normal this weekend.

Also any word on another tournament for a NXT entrant into the Battle Royal?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Looks like Nakamura will have a new theme and attire heading into WWE.

I was REALLY hoping they'd use Subconscious

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20160326-00000045-tospoweb-fight

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    This time next week Takeover will be on. 1 am start? Time difference back to normal this weekend.

Also any word on another tournament for a NXT entrant into the Battle Royal?

According to the times released by wwe it's on at 10pm ET so that's 3am irish time which is a disaster.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    According to the times released by wwe it's on at 10pm ET so that's 3am irish time which is a disaster.

I say now Im gonna watch it on Sat morning but I just know on Friday night I will set my alarm to get up at quarter to 3 to watch it!

I say now Im gonna watch it on Sat morning but I just know on Friday night I will set my alarm to get up at quarter to 3 to watch it!

What happens me is I try ignore things on that last but knowing me I'll wake up without setting an alarm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

10pm eastern? why so bloody late. Was hoping for 8pm eastern like the other network specials. Doh.

10pm eastern? why so bloody late. Was hoping for 8pm eastern like the other network specials. Doh.

Yep. I don't know it's a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What will happen to nxt when all the big guys go up to the main roster (Joe, nakamaura, balor, Corbin etc). Will they have the strength and depth to survive without the bigger names or will SmackDown/nxt happen ???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What will happen to nxt when all the big guys go up to the main roster (Joe, nakamaura, balor, Corbin etc). Will they have the strength and depth to survive without the bigger names or will SmackDown/nxt happen ???

New guys will come in. As has happened previously over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    New guys will come in. As has happened previously over and over again.

Not as big as samoa Joe,Austin aries etc

Bobby roode and Eric young to be the nxt kingpins of 2017 ???

Alex Riley looks cool now BTW

DM_7 wrote: »
    Shane and Undertaker might not be the best example as the match is taking place because of a soap opera style syoryline but I agree with your point.

Smackdown a couple of weeks back had AJ Styles v Kevin Owens. That doesn't need a reason other than they want to beat each other.
    Soap opera storylines often grow out of random matches, that's wrestling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Didn't realize that takeover was on so late 3am our time i think. i think ill watch it Saturday morning and stay off internet to not get it ruined.

Video played on the latest episode of nxt hyping the bayley vs Asuka match at nxt takeover dallas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Video played on the latest episode of nxt hyping the bayley vs Asuka match at nxt takeover dallas.

This is going to push Sami - Nakamura very close as match of the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Baron Corbin cut a great promo on Aries this week.

He could do very, very well on the main roster as a top heel. His ring work has improved dramatically, he has the size Vince likes and he's just naturally unlikable.

Can't wait for this show. Should be awesome, may well be the best show of the weekend those some of those Evolve shows have incredible line ups.

Advertisement