Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NXT 2017 Thread *SPOILERS*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Eric Young
    has made his NXT debut, facing off against
    Samoa Joe
    at a recent taping

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Between Roode, Joe, Aries & whoever else, there is definitely a danger of NXT becoming TNA here. I don't really have any desire to see the ex TNA guys work each other ever again, save maybe for Joe & Aries who have great chemistry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Monokne wrote: »
    Between Roode, Joe, Aries & whoever else, there is definitely a danger of NXT becoming TNA here. I don't really have any desire to see the ex TNA guys work each other ever again, save maybe for Joe & Aries who have great chemistry.

I really not liking Aries at all. Hes being portrayed as a big star but his matches have not been great and seems like he has been stuck in 2nd gear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The difference, I guess.

TNA largely had to rely on people WWE didn't want nor need. They were often jobbers or cast offs.
    NXT are getting in people TNA did want and need. They are bringing in TNA' top homegrown talent.

As for not becoming TNA-lite,my he issue was rarely their own homegrown talent; it was their idiotic booking and inability to capitalise on popularity. Something NXT won't have any issues with.

Yeah but you can't have Bobby Roode - Austin Aries matches without feeling like a major TNA retread. Match has been done to death. Or, God forbid, Roode v Young. Plus the guys are just so synonymous with TNA. I'd do my best not to have them interact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Id Roode, Young, Aries are being positioned in the same way Rhino was when he returned in Nxt. They will be used primarly to get guys over mostly

Would be a waste of Roode & Aries. Great workers. Plus with Balor probably main roster bound they need main event guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,301 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Why in the name of god are WWE persisting with Eva Marie ? Even the amazing and talented asuka couldn't make it good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was never a fan of Eric Young tbh. Can't fault his in-ring work but he just never connected with me. Maybe it's the fact he was presented as a geek for so long in TNA that when they tried to present him more seriously I couldn't stand it.

James Storm not being there saddens me. I wonder if he is kicking himself for not sticking with NXT. I know TNA were offering him more money but him and Roode together would have had great potential going forward and would have been amazing in both NXT and WWE. Beer Money vs Gable and Jordan, anyone?

Maybe we'll see him again.

WWE is persisting with Eva Marie because she's so hot.

Agree re: EY. He was a comedy geek for a decade then suddenly a main event heel. It just didn't work.

• Advertisement

I think there bringing in these guys so they have names for the brand as its pretty much touring full time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,211 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

WWE is persisting with Eva Marie because she's so hot.

Agree re: EY. He was a comedy geek for a decade then suddenly a main event heel. It just didn't work.

The last thing, and probably only thing, I can remember about Eric Young is him being in a feud with Bobby Roode and Traci Brooks and he ended up getting tarred and feathered and that was about 10 years ago.

I really don't get how he's a big deal, or supposed to be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

She is good and gets a reaction so why not... She will never be really good though. I know others like Trish started poor and all about her looks and became great but Stratus she is not, everything she does is just so sooo slow and telegraphed and as a result watching her makes wrestling look even more fake for me and this is after a few years although I do reckon that for a good portion of that she was doing no wrestling training at all.

Re: The TNA guys... I dont think EY will ever make the main roster or even be an NXT champion but will be a solid addition to NXT and has name value for a touring brand like NXT and tbh apart from him NXT are only taking the very best that TNA has so I have no issue with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was surprised how long the Eva Marie/Asuka match lasted.

For Eric Young, it seems like he was part of a package deal with Roode. Don't see WWE going looking for him. And he can't use his piledriver now.

A package deal? For some reason this concept amused me greatly. Like they asked Roode to come in and he said "it's buy one, get Eric Young free"? ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I do wish a home grown talent wins NXT championship at some point again, give the belt to someone like Tye Dillinger who has been in developmental since forever.

Giving NXT championship to likes of Balor and Sami proves that they have gotten lazy with creating stars from the ground up outside womens and tag division on NXT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

"And your new NXT champion, Mojo Rawley!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I do wish a home grown talent wins NXT championship at some point again, give the belt to someone like Tye Dillinger who has been in developmental since forever.

Giving NXT championship to likes of Balor and Sami proves that they have gotten lazy with creating stars from the ground up outside womens and tag division on NXT.

Agree, and as great as it is to see the 'names' face each other in a new context, NXT is getting a bit "Regal announces X will face Y at Takeover" for no real reason other than it'd be a good match. Which is fine if not overused but what feuds are being developed from week to week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Pentecost wrote: »
    Agree, and as great as it is to see the 'names' face each other in a new context, NXT is getting a bit "Regal announces X will face Y at Takeover" for no real reason other than it'd be a good match. Which is fine if not overused but what feuds are being developed from week to week?

American Alphas road to tag titles
    Owens and Zayn
    Balor and Joe
    Crews and Corbin
    Asuka and Bayley
    Revival and enzo and cass

All recent fueds I can think of, with itami to be inserted into a ready made fued when he comes back, I think that nxt are the vest brand at building fueds currently.

In regards to the indie darlings coming in overtaking the nxt roster, it has to be done for the time being, wwe did it in the 80s nitpicking the biggest stars from territories and turning them into household names, it has to be done. It created them with an awesome platform down the line, wherenew stars had time to organically grow while the older stars where in the top position, then you get the dividends with the yourh like they did with cena orton batista and lesner. Admittingly they have grown lazy in pushin new stars but that can be rectified with the current set up of nxt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'd love to see Tye Dillenger get a bigger push. He's very entertaining in his Perfect 10 role.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    "And your new NXT champion, Mojo Rawley!"

No. Just no.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Homegrown talent can't really stay in NXT long enough to be the NXT Champion. A homegrown talent needs to get on the road and learn how to survive in that environment. Guys like KO, Finn and Sami already know about that.

For example, Corbin was not ready to be NXT champion before he left, how long would it take him to reach that level? Another year or so? He will learn a lot more on the road facing v Dolph Ziggler in house shows, on TV, on PPV than he would in 6 months down in Florida. Developmental is about getting people the fundamentals they need for the main roster, not ready to be the main event in NXT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Gotta say, hated the Asuka/Eva match on this week's show. You present one as a killer and the other as a joke yet here they are working a long, competitive match that the heel dominated for far too long in. It's one of the aspects I most dislike about WWE's way of presenting matches, the actual action itself doesn't really matter or even needs to make sense at times.

Gotta say, hated the Asuka/Eva match on this week's show. You present one as a killer and the other as a joke yet here they are working a long, competitive match that the heel dominated for far too long in. It's one of the aspects I most dislike about WWE's way of presenting matches, the actual action itself doesn't really matter or even needs to make sense at times.

Eva isn't presented as a joke. The exact opposite. The audience perceives her as one, but the announcers harp on about how good she is, she has been given a bunch of squash wins, and has been booked to be competitive when she's in there with the top gals. This was totally in keeping with their presentation of her.

That isn't to say I liked it. I didn't. But saying they present her as a joke is just not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Eva isn't presented as a joke. The exact opposite. The audience perceives her as one, but the announcers harp on about how good she is, she has been given a bunch of squash wins, and has been booked to be competitive when she's in there with the top gals. This was totally in keeping with their presentation of her.

That isn't to say I liked it. I didn't. But saying they present her as a joke is just not true.

Obviously they aren't saying "she's bloody woeful, look at how tentatively she runs those ropes" but the entire presentation of her is "we know you know that she's dreadful so we're gonna wind you up based on that." I mean everybody knows that "she's been training and getting better" is WWE speak for "she's awful." The match was tedious and the structure of it was laughable when you can see just how inept Eva is in the ring. It's just another example of if WWE don't care what happens bell to bell then why should the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Corey's commentary during her matches is magnificent. Guy is close to my favourite performer in WWE wrestler or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Palo Alto wrote: »
    Corey's commentary during her matches is magnificent. Guy is close to my favourite performer in WWE wrestler or otherwise.

Needs to be called up to Smackdown if there's a brand split, tell Saxton stick to Raw and retire King. He's also good when he's calling Asuka's matches because you genuinely fear for the other wrestlers life the way he talks her up.

Palo Alto wrote: »

Corey is a modern day Jesse Ventura. He's a smart heel commentator who makes logical points.

corey is just fantastic. He seems to have fantastic chemistry with whoever is in the commentary with him like rich or tom phillips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

He seems like such a nice bloke too, his little series on Network was good, shame episodes were only 10 mins long.

Definitely my man crush. He's a big family man too.

Advertisement