Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NXT 2017 Thread *SPOILERS*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm disappointed he had to retire from in-ring cause of injuries, but I'm glad he still has a job with WWE and he is hands down my favourite commentator they have right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Angron wrote: »
    I'm disappointed he had to retire from in-ring cause of injuries, but I'm glad he still has a job with WWE and he is hands down my favourite commentator they have right now.

was he any good as a wrestler?? haven't seen much of him.as one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

sky88 wrote: »
    was he any good as a wrestler?? haven't seen much of him.as one.

Nothing special, would be a social outcast level

• Registered Users Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah I said it before but Corey just reminds me of Jesse. When he first started on commentary it was hard to tell how he would do, but he does a great job and hope he does well. If he did join Smackdown alongside Mauro, it could be the best announce team in a long time.

So I assume they just record the ringside commentary on the day of filming the matches, then record the match commentary closer to the time it's aired. Was really obvious this week when they could reference the Balor/Joe match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

The turn around in opinion to Graves has been amazing really. I remember people being dumbfounded that WWE had signed Sterling James Keenan to contract. And honestly he was a totally average wrestler, who probably was never getting called up to the main roster. But Corey Graves the commentator has been brilliant. He really is the best heel colour guy since Lawler in 94/95. Hopefully he will end up on Raw or Smackdown in the near future.

And when he does leave NXT I would like to see them try out a few new guys on commentary. No harm trying Titus O'Neil, Tyson Kidd, Darren Young or even Big Show. Guys that dont have anything going on put them down to NXT for a month or 2 and see what happens. Dont forget Lawler only got the commentator gig because Randy Savage walked out of WWE and Vince was stuck without a colour guy for that days Raw so you never know who is good until you try them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

+1 for Corey Graves. He's got some class lines too, playing up his hipster status.

Seems like a good guy too, I was glad he was kept on and given this chance. He's a highlight every week on NXT

You have to take into account that NXT is taped a few weeks at a time, can be done as a voiceover and most importantly doesn't have the same production as RAW or Smackdown.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

He doesn't have that for the takeovers though.

And as for his wrestling abilities, I always thought he was grand. Never outstanding really, but I enjoyed watching his matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

LeeJM wrote: »
    The turn around in opinion to Graves has been amazing really. I remember people being dumbfounded that WWE had signed Sterling James Keenan to contract. And honestly he was a totally average wrestler, who probably was never getting called up to the main roster. But Corey Graves the commentator has been brilliant. He really is the best heel colour guy since Lawler in 94/95. Hopefully he will end up on Raw or Smackdown in the near future.

And when he does leave NXT I would like to see them try out a few new guys on commentary. No harm trying Titus O'Neil, Tyson Kidd, Darren Young or even Big Show. Guys that dont have anything going on put them down to NXT for a month or 2 and see what happens. Dont forget Lawler only got the commentator gig because Randy Savage walked out of WWE and Vince was stuck without a colour guy for that days Raw so you never know who is good until you try them out.
    What happened with savage?

If I recall correctly, Vince reckoned Savage was done in-ring and wanted him on commentary, and Savage vigorously disagreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,015 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

If I recall correctly, Vince reckoned Savage was done in-ring and wanted him on commentary, and Savage vigorously disagreed.

Didn't savage wrestle crush at wrestlemania X ? So he did wrestle in 1994.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Yea he did. But yea Vince reckoned he was done in ring and wanted him as the colour guy on Raw. Dont forget Vince had Savage on commentary as far back as 92. But what happened was Savage wanted to wrestle and Hogan had gone to WCW and got on to Savage to come on down to work an easy programme with him and make some big money. The story goes that Vince cried when he got the call telling him that Savage had signed for WCW :eek:

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Not saying he didn't wrestle that year, just that Vince wanted him to move to the commentary table.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Savage proposed a 6 month, best of 3 series with Michaels where Shawn would win the first match, Savage would take the second, then Shawn would win the last one, and that would be the end of Randy's career. Vince ixnayed it. Randy was very bitter at the time because he felt that at least he was respecting Vince's wishes and agreeing to finish up in the ring, he just wanted one last hurrah.

Monokne wrote: »
    Savage proposed a 6 month, best of 3 series with Michaels where Shawn would win the first match, Savage would take the second, then Shawn would win the last one, and that would be the end of Randy's career. Vince ixnayed it. Randy was very bitter at the time because he felt that at least he was respecting Vince's wishes and agreeing to finish up in the ring, he just wanted one last hurrah.

Never heard the 3 match series thing. I know he proposed putting Shawn over and I think it was Randy that suggested putting Sherri with Shawn to give him that edge that he was lacking. Imagine Shawn vs Savage in 94! One of the all time what ifs

LeeJM wrote: »
    Never heard the 3 match series thing. I know he proposed putting Shawn over and I think it was Randy that suggested putting Sherri with Shawn to give him that edge that he was lacking. Imagine Shawn vs Savage in 94! One of the all time what ifs

I think it was mentioned in the Observer bio when he died. But yeah, how great would that have been? He was having good matches right until 1998. Although he was KILLING people with that elbow in his last few years.

Yea in 98 he started putting on that ridiculous amount of muscle. He was the poster boy for roids in WCW at the time, even more so than Buff or Scott Steiner. And yes it didnt look fun being on the end of Randys elbow anytime after 95 or so.

Yeah it was such a shame. He had a renaissance in 97, had great matches with DDP amongst others, and he started 98 hot, turning against the nWo. But once he got hurt and came back all muscled with Gorgeous George, he was never the same and that was pretty much the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Have there been reports of any TNA chants? Just wondering because with EY, Joe, etc all there now

I've said that myself. Aries, Joe, EY & maybe Roode all on one show would feel excessive. Particularly if they're working with each other at all.

• Advertisement

EY hasnt been signed by WWE and Roode has yet to appear. And even if EY signs I doubt he will be used as a top guy. More like a solid midcarder in an Alex Riley type build him slightly to beat him role. Joe could get the call to move up at anytime so how long he will be in NXT is a mystery to everyone.

Roode is the really interesting one to me. He is in late 30's maybe even 40 now and this is likely to be his only shot in the WWE system. He was shown on screen at Takeover but hasnt been seen since and I believe this weekend he finishes all his prior bookings outside WWE. I think there is a chance (minimal I know) that B Roode debuts on Raw/Smackdown and not in NXT.

No Way Jose, has a great look but that dancing stuff during his matches is horrible.

Imagine if Roman Reigns had Samoa Joe's presence? Joe is up there with guys like Brock in how he carries himself.

DM_7 wrote: »
    No Way Jose, has a great look but that dancing stuff during his matches is horrible.

Imagine if Roman Reigns had Samoa Joe's presence? Joe is up there with guys like Brock in how he carries himself.

I really like Jose personally although I can understand why he's not to everyones taste. Considering the dancing gets the biggest reaction of anything he does, I'm not sure horrible is the most apt description.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

I really want to like No Way Jose but I just......don't?

I think he's half-assing the gimmick and it just reads as awkward. He needs to fully embrace the dancing and just go for it

I couldn't read it any more differerently. Seems all bought in to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Yeah I like him. Not sure the gimmick will work out in the long run but he's giving it his best shot and is quite charismatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Didn't like the recent episode much. Decent promo from Joe.

Not a fan of this No Way Jose thing. Reminded me of Just Joe!

Ageyev wrote: »
    Didn't like the recent episode much. Decent promo from Joe.

Not a fan of this No Way Jose thing. Reminded me of Just Joe!

I literally cannot think of a way in which Just Joe, the **** talker who gossiped behind peoples backs to stir s**t up, and Jose, the charasmatic dancer who boogies away to pump up the crowd, are alike. Am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Monokne wrote: »
    I literally cannot think of a way in which Just Joe, the **** talker who gossiped behind peoples backs to stir s**t up, and Jose, the charasmatic dancer who boogies away to pump up the crowd, are alike. Am I missing something?

Just the catchprase is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I really want to like No Way Jose but I just......don't?

I think he's half-assing the gimmick and it just reads as awkward. He needs to fully embrace the dancing and just go for it

Remember Rich Swann did it better about a month ago?! Amazing rhythm.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Maffewgregg/status/712955165939277824/video/1

Advertisement