Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NXT 2017 Thread *SPOILERS*

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'd assume the WWEwould just package him differently and give him ring gear that doesn't highlight his weight. Think Bray Wyatt but obviously not that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I'd assume the WWEwould just package him differently and give him ring gear that doesn't highlight his weight. Think Bray Wyatt but obviously not that.

That might happen if WWE cared about his weight, which they dont otherwise they wouldnt have re-signed him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

LeeJM wrote: »
    That might happen if WWE cared about his weight, which they dont otherwise they wouldnt have re-signed him.

I wouldn't put it beyond them to have let him go because of "his look" but then saw how good a year he had and thinking sure we can just repackage him. Considering I mentioned Bray how great could a Chris Hero & Luke Haper tag team be as part of Bray's family for example and nobody would ever mention his look. Unfortunately this thread itself is an indicator that the more casual fan might considering it is even a point of discussion here but it hasn't stopped people like Kevin Owens but tbh you don't see people like Owens adopt the kind of attire Hero / Ohno is in there.

I still kinda find it weird they are still going with the Ohno name, wasn't the original idea cos it was KO but now Kevin Owens kinda fills that role and sure most new guys with any rep who have come in since Hero's last run have actually kept their names.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The fact his gear still says "Hero" should indicate he'll be getting new gear sooner or later.
    He has not been hired for his looks! He has been hired for his work. He has been there before, WWE are well aware of what shape he is in. If you cant get past how he looks and enjoy him as one of the best wrestlers in the world then that says more about you than it does about him.

I'm sorry, I disagree. And I know this will sound shallow, and I'll preface this by saying I've got a very, very similar bodyshape to him right now.

Any form of acting, any form of entertainment, is going to be superficial. Straight away, he's going to be at a massive disadvantage compared to a lot of people, because as with any role, being a WWE wrestler is about looking the part. That's down to how you dress, how you act and how you look.

He might well be the greatest wrestler in the world, but the casual viewer is going to look at that picture and think he's a joke. There are a **** tonne of amazing wrestlers in way better shape than him who can't get over.

Because of his gut, he's going to have a very, very uphill battle to fight, and I don't believe he can't cut that weight. He is deliberately setting himself up to fail if he doesn't start cutting weight big time.

Now, I'll add...better ring gear would help him drastically; Owens is chubby but his ring gear makes his weight look like an intimidating factor. Hero, with his muffin top, looks (and not wrestles, but LOOKS) like a slob outside the bar when its closing down...something to hide the stomach would help him drastically.

Yea its strange using the Ohno name again. Because that was shot after the NXT tapings finished I wonder will they have him return as Ohno just to dismiss the name and be Chris Hero. Obviously he wore his Hero gear at the NXT show because thats what fits him right now but I would have thought with how long its been known that he is going back he or WWE could easily have had some Kassuis Ohno gear made to fit him by now. I dunno maybe Im over thinking it but Im not 100% sure he keeps the Ohno name.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The fact his gear still says "Hero" should indicate he'll be getting new gear sooner or later.
    He has not been hired for his looks! He has been hired for his work. He has been there before, WWE are well aware of what shape he is in. If you cant get past how he looks and enjoy him as one of the best wrestlers in the world then that says more about you than it does about him.

I'm sorry, I disagree. And I know this will sound shallow, and I'll preface this by saying I've got a very, very similar bodyshape to him right now.

Any form of acting, any form of entertainment, is going to be superficial. Straight away, he's going to be at a massive disadvantage compared to a lot of people, because as with any role, being a WWE wrestler is about looking the part. That's down to how you dress, how you act and how you look.

He might well be the greatest wrestler in the world, but the casual viewer is going to look at that picture and think he's a joke. There are a **** tonne of amazing wrestlers in way better shape than him who can't get over.

Because of his gut, he's going to have a very, very uphill battle to fight, and I don't believe he can't cut that weight. He is deliberately setting himself up to fail if he doesn't start cutting weight big time.

Now, I'll add...better ring gear would help him drastically; Owens is chubby but his ring gear makes his weight look like an intimidating factor. Hero, with his muffin top, looks (and not wrestles, but LOOKS) like a slob outside the bar when its closing down...something to hide the stomach would help him drastically.
    True there are a tonne of great wrestlers who look better than he does but none of them have his charisma. None of them can strike the way he does. I get it its a "body business" and WWE fans conditioned to only react for the toned fits guys or the massive bodybuiler types but some of the most legit tough men in the world look like as you said slobs outside the bar. 

Would different ring gear help him get over with the casuals? Yes probably. Personally I think what type of ring gear he chooses is down to him and once is not cheap backyard looking stuff I wont complain. And I genuinely believe that if he is allowed to wrestle the way Chris Hero wrestles it wont matter a damn what he wears as he will get massively over on the basis of his work and his charisma.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Stick a lot of wrestlers in that gear and people would slag them. He is no Tino Sabbatelli.

His shape is not the problem its just the gear focuses the eye where it shouldn't. At the very least it should make him look dangerous big.

Look at Baron Corbin, someone who lost loads of weight, put on lots of muscle and still had a distracting look because of his left over excess skin and his balding hair. He is wearing a shirt/vest now and once he sorts his hair he will look great.

Stone Cold even told Cesaro to tidy up his look, ****ing Cesaro. Old Stone Cold was right, when you see older pics of Cesaro its hard to believe it took him so long to put a full blade to his head.

For Hero, he needs to amend his ring gear so his body fat percentage is not emphasized. Everything focuses your eyes in his midriff, the hair and beard, even the arm sleeve and larger elbow pad focus your eyes on his midriff due to the contrast.

All that said, he deseves a chance to go back, the work environment has to be better under Matt Bloom and co as what was there before. He can work a more restrained style as well, guy must be close to retirement from the Indy scene anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd say once he gets full access to the gym and is working with other guys he knows, that he'll start to lose the weight over time. Don't think they had the same facilities when he was there before.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'd say once he gets full access to the gym and is working with other guys he knows, that he'll start to lose the weight over time. Don't think they had the same facilities when he was there before.

He carried no weight in his last run. I don't think he is going to have a muscular frame even with the PC.

Whatever frame he has he needs to pick gear that makes him look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

He was a hell of a lot lighter before and they fired him. Now he's much heavier and they brought him in with a bunch of buzz. Not sure losing weight is anything he needs to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Could they not give him something to wear ala Kevin Owens?

Obviously it shouldn't matter, but they're not sending out Nia Jax out like the rest of the women are they

Speaking of women, Liv Morgan took a scary bump on the OZ show, she went over the top rope and as she tumbled to bring her feet over, her lower back hit the ring, could have messed up her back.

Thankfully she is still working shows so must be okay but it was scary looking at the time.

He did have some weight in his previous run because I remember he was struggling keeping it off and it was pointed out somewhere that they released him when he was in his best shape.

As for Nia's ring gear, honestly I remember when the commentators said she was a former plus sized model, I googled and she did some nice work.

He did have some weight in his previous run because I remember he was struggling keeping it off and it was pointed out somewhere that they released him when he was in his best shape.

As for Nia's ring gear, honestly I remember when the commentators said she was a former plus sized model, I googled and she did some nice work.

Yeah, I meant at the end of his run rather than at any time in it, my mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just give him a Reigns type ring gear that either hides or tucks everything in.

As Heyman famously said "accentuate the positives, hide the negatives" and his wrestling tights are a negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,300 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

As Heyman famously said "accentuate the positives, hide the negatives" and his wrestling tights are a negative.

Well I'd listen to heyman as he made the sandman look competent.

He should rob Pentagon Jrs gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Who the hell is the ring announcer on NXT these days, her voice goes through my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I don't really get Sanity group, but Nikki Cross has impressed me the most out of group.

I am really trying to get back into NXT weekly show again.

I sometimes forget how short some of the women are. I knew Nikki Cross was short, but seeing her and Asuka in the ring together and Regal towering over them was kind of funny.

Though don't tell them I said that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,211 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Isn't Alexa only 5ft?

J. Marston wrote: »
    Isn't Alexa only 5ft?

Yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I know he's new to it but Percy Watson is not good on commentary

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I sometimes forget how short some of the women are. I knew Nikki Cross was short, but seeing her and Asuka in the ring together and Regal towering over them was kind of funny.

Though don't tell them I said that!

I had a similar reaction when Nia got called up and they put her in the ring beside Saxtom who was taller than this "monster". As a stupid booking decision at the time cause it took away from her presence a bit...

Similar to Big Show these days. There are so many as tall or close to his height that the only thing he has going for him is making us half wonder whether he's face or heel this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Similar to Big Show these days. There are so many as tall or close to his height that the only thing he has going for him is making us half wonder whether he's face or heel this week.

But but.....Cole says how on earth will they get him over the top rope in the Rumble?!!!

But but.....Cole says how on earth will they get him over the top rope in the Rumble?!!!
    If they all work together of course.

Nah. They do it one leg at a time, which always works on everybody. Preferably in the corner.

Nah. They do it one leg at a time, which always works on everybody. Preferably in the corner.
    I watched the 2000 royal rumble match last night. The road dogg had the right idea. Enter the ring and cling to the bottom rope and turnbuckle for most of the match like your life depended on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Prime example of this is Braun and Harper. They're basically the same size but for some reason Braun is painted as a colossal monster. Where as Luke Harper is just Luke Harper.

I'd say Regal is surprisingly big. Himself and HHH looked like tanks beside all the UK championship guys when that was on.

Advertisement