Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inertia Sensors on Velux roof windows? Number of inertia sensors in a conservatory?

Options
  • 09-01-2015 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at upgrading an existing Aritech CD7212 system to the Siemens SPC 4320 panel.

I have 8 roof Velux windows with Aritech 711 contact/inertia sensors and I have been told that using inertia sensors on Velux windows is considered bad practice as they are subject to being set off by Hailstones and that they will need to be disabled: I have never had an issue with that, if I recall correctly the Shock setting on the inertia sensors is set at 4 or 5, need to look.

Having read about perimeter security being important:
    I currently have 2 PIRs and 1 glass breakage sensor in a lean-to conservatory as well a contact/ inertia sensor on the door to garden.

There are 4 windows ( 5 window frames) on each 4 meter side with a top opening which need contacts.
    Like wise 3 windows (4 frames) on each side of the double doors.

What would good practice be for inertia only sensors?
    Thanks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would prefer contacts only on sky lights. No one is likely to break the glass there and climb in.
    On the conservatory you should cover all large openings with a combination of inertia shock sensors and contacts.
    Back that up with a duel tec PiR.
    The number of inertias will depend on the size of the frames and the distances between them. Another good rule is no more than 10 devices per zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

KoolKid wrote: »
    I would prefer contacts only on sky lights. No one is likely to break the glass there and climb in.
    On the conservatory you should cover all large openings with a combination of inertia shock sensors and contacts.
    Back that up with a duel tec PiR.
    The number of inertias will depend on the size of the frames and the distances between them. Another good rule is no more than 10 devices per zone.

Thanks.
    I should have said that the property is a dormer bungalow with an attached flat roof garage so the windows are easily accessed.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would still go with contacts on the sky lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

I have 8 roof Velux windows with Aritech 711 contact/inertia sensors and I have been told that using inertia sensors on Velux windows is considered bad practice as they are subject to being set off by Hailstones and that they will need to be disabled: I have never had an issue with that, if I recall correctly the Shock setting on the inertia sensors is set at 4 or 5, need to look.

If these sensors are on the one zone then simply turn off the gross and pulse rather than replacing the units for contacts. If not then the shock can be disconnected to just use the contact part of the sensor.

Advertisement