Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Crosswinds

• 09-01-2015 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

Some hairy moments commuting home in the NorthCounty Dublin this evening.
    Got me thinking, if I was to take off the top box would I be less likely to be caught out by a cross wind gust?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

definitely makes a difference but with today's windspeed it is in the hands of the Gods.....Dangerous winds here in the SouthWest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

You might be better off taking it off.
    Crazy wind all over the country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Faing wrote: »
    definitely makes a difference but with today's windspeed it is in the hands of the Gods.....Dangerous winds here in the SouthWest.

Thanks, will try next week, to be windy again, hate those crosswinds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

They can catch anyone out. I used to hate riding the Pan in high crosswinds, trundling along with a 15degree list isn't fun at all. Taking the topbox off did help a little though.

Faing wrote: »
    They can catch anyone out. I used to hate riding the Pan in high crosswinds, trundling along with a 15degree list isn't fun at all. Taking the topbox off did help a little though.

Some bikes are better than others it seems in crosswinds. Mines a F650GS and its more than capable other than that.
    A work pal said he never had that issue on an FJR but did on a Deauville.
    I'll try with the topbox off next week ta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Some bikes are better than others it seems in crosswinds. Mines a F650GS and its more than capable other than that.

Was out on blood bike Deauville last night. ... brutal. On call tonight and quite happy if phone doesn't ring tbh....

My h-d seems unaffected

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

The wind should die down by this evening.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/hour_by_hour.html

I find this site is very accurate for weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

rowanh wrote: »
    The wind should die down by this evening.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/hour_by_hour.html

I find this site is very accurate for weather.

That is a good site for the weather.

I think that we are in for a bit of mixed weather for the next while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

I might be that guy in work. Fjr is very solid in winds.

Topboxs catch a load of wind even when it isn't windy.

My current bike nc750X is ok, just ok.

This might sound odd by try before knocking it. On the side the wind is hitting you push your knee out as far as you can it will make a huge difference to stability. It gets tiring though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Luckily for me the prevailing wind is a direct tailwind in the morning and a direct headwind in the evening. There's only a few places on my trip to/from work where it's a crosswind, and a few junctions where you suddenly go from sheltered by buildings to exposed.

If it was a 40 knot north wind though, with gusts stronger than that, I'd probably leave the bike at home and take the bus as I'd be fighting it the whole way. If it's enough to close Dublin Airport then it's enough for me.

If I know the weather is going to be bad and if I can, I leave work at peak time so the traffic speed will be low. Nothing worse than having to slow down due to the weather and getting eejits in cages racing up behind you and doing dangerous overtakes. Also on a multi lane road having lots of traffic in the lanes around you helps shield you a bit from the wind.

In very windy weather it helps to slow down a bit. 25mph feels much more secure in bad gusts on an exposed road than 30.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

The weight of a bike would make a difference in the wind but I also remember reading that full faired bikes are affected more in crosswinds as the fairing catches the wind.

I find strong winds more annoying on my body than the bike so tucking in makes a big difference for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

zubair wrote: »
    The weight of a bike would make a difference in the wind but I also remember reading that full faired bikes are affected more in crosswinds as the fairing catches the wind.

I find strong winds more annoying on my body than the bike so tucking in makes a big difference for me.

It does, I find it much easier on the blackbird than I did on the Fz6. But both are very manageable.

I always have the topbox on the blackbird, I usually forget about it until I have to corner and the little weave starts in crosswinds. I find that the faster you go the easier it is unless your cornering :o

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TheArtOfNoise

I ride all year round, don't mind any amount of heat/cold/fog/rain but I don't do windy wet conditions at all. The Vespa goes straight in the garage and I get my bus fare ready!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The section of motorway north of Swords going over the Malahide estuary can be woeful for crosswinds somedays. I don't seem to get too badly effected by them on a stripped down cruiser, I suppose the weight of it and not having fairings makes a difference. I remember though my moped used to get thrown around somedays on the motorway, should have left it home to be honest.

Just out of interest, has anyone here ever come a cropper to the wind? I've often heard bikers hate it but never known anyone to get dumped off the side of a road because of it. It must happen though as I've come close myself a couple of times and just got it together in time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

On the plus side, a strong tailwind can be used to great advantage by tying a load of tesco bags to the handlebars on long pieces of string. Save on fuel, and use free environmentally friendly wind power!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The section of motorway north of Swords going over the Malahide estuary can be woeful for crosswinds somedays. I don't seem to get too badly effected by them on a stripped down cruiser, I suppose the weight of it and not having fairings makes a difference. I remember though my moped used to get thrown around somedays on the motorway, should have left it home to be honest.

Just out of interest, has anyone here ever come a cropper to the wind? I've often heard bikers hate it but never known anyone to get dumped off the side of a road because of it. It must happen though as I've come close myself a couple of times and just got it together in time

That spot over the malahide estuary is on my usual commute.
    When a strong crosswind hits with an unexpected gust there it would scare the bejaybus out of you. I tend to use the old N1 on those days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Muahahaha wrote: »

When I worked as a courier I witnessed a young lad getting his Aerox blown from under him going up the Nass Rd. I didn't think it was possible! Gave me warning to brace though!

Nearly came a cropper on the then new section of the N2 (here https://goo.gl/maps/26HL7 )

There was only one lane in use at the time but still got blown through the cones into the outside lanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That spot over the malahide estuary is on my usual commute.
    When a strong crosswind hits with an unexpected gust there it would scare the bejaybus out of you. I tend to use the old N1 on those days.

yeah I hear ya for sure. Another dodgy situation can be if you overtake a long truck and he's blocking a crosswind from hitting you but then when you get past his cab a wall of wind gives you a wallop, not a nice feeling
    dubscottie wrote: »
    When I worked as a courier I witnessed a young lad getting his Aerox blown from under him going up the Nass Rd. I didn't think it was possible! Gave me warning to brace though!

Nearly came a cropper on the then new section of the N2 (here https://goo.gl/maps/26HL7 )

There was only one lane in use at the time but still got blown through the cones into the outside lanes.

I know that section well as am on it usually once a week. For some reason I find those first few kms of the M2 can be gusty but thereafter to Ashbourne its not too bad. I go to Julianstown so have an option of using the M1 or the m2, there's only about 2 miles in the difference. I take the M2 purely because it is a lot less busy than the M1 but also partly because it doesn't feel as windy as parts of the M1.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

The n2/m2 is on my daily commute ( bloody chicken strips) it can we very windy in the bad weather like we are having the past week.

Even if your expecting it and ready for it to catch you . . . You can be sure the van/lorry in the other lane will be own into your path!

Advertisement