Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

does calling in subs happen much anymore

• 09-01-2015 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi guys another question, was subbing in a secondary school and was just wondering, is there much subbing around these days?:) ive just sent out a load of cv's, but I'm hoping it still happens and they call subs these days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Very little anymore. It can depend though. In most schools they have a large number of staff not on full hours who they will give any subbing to first.
    Also the new S&C arrangements meaning everyone involved can be called up to 3 times a week takes care of a lot of the need for subs.

It does still happen can just depend though. Definitely nothing like it used to be 6 or 7 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

No subs called in in my school (large school) in the past 3-4 years. Dozens of teachers on less than 8 hours mean there's always plenty ready and waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Aside from having a sub in say for a teacher that's going to be out for a long period of time (eg more than a week and principal knows it's a long term thing) we haven't had a single sub in all of this academic year for random subbing days. Everything is covered through Haddington road hours or subbing which is eligible for payment is covered by staff within the school.

To be honest I don't remember any subs coming in to cover random days last year either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Have 1-2 in every few days. Nearly all my staff are on full hours, quite difficult finding subs to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We used to constantly have subs in, some were in practically every week but now we don't have that many. If someone is out and has a cert we usually do get in a sub to cover (have been 5/6 days so far this academic year) but generally subbing needs are covered by the S&S rota or by staff on low hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kalimera

Same here, berween 1 & 3 required most days, often difficult to get at short notice for certified absences etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

There hasn't been an outside sub in my school at all this year or last. All cover has been done by S&S roster or by paid cover done by part time staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Pretty much none in ours either, between S&S and bulking up the hours of part timers that covers it more or less. The odd time alright we'd have someone in, but only a few times in the year.

Advertisement