Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will I get insured on a classic?

Options
  • 09-01-2015 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hello , should be starting driving lessons soon and doing my test in September / October and been looking at a few cars. Been looking at some small engine cars around the 1.0 litre mark and none of the 90's stuff catches my fancy . I like the look of a mk2 fiesta and wondering would I get insured on one if it's over 30 years old. Any help appreciated
    Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yes with a bit of searching around, but it wont be any cheaper

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Indeed, it may even be more expensive than a ten year-old tin box. A lot of regular motor insurers have upper age limits on the vehicle. Once you go outside that, you're chasing quotes from an ever decreasing selection of insurers who because of the lack of competition, don't bother to compete.

Get yourself a tax-buster 954cc version of the Pug 106. They'll do 45mpg even if you rag it morning, noon and night. Drive like a giffer and you'll get 50 no problem. Easy to get hold of cheap parts and cheap to insure. I know it's not a blokey car, but it does what it says on the tin and you could do far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Here's a post I wrote on a similar thread about us younger gear heads and the bother of insuring an older car rather than all those modern sludge eco boxes.

'I suppose I would be in a good position right here to tell you how hard it is to insure an older car as I went and bought my first car, a '90 Corolla GTI for my 20th birthday last year and had a nightmare then trying to get her insured. First and foremost, Aviva will take you on but expect a stupidly high price. I was coming off 3 years named driving with a full for 2 years and I have a list written down at home of the 27 (Yah, 27!!!!) companies and brokers that I rang who refused to quote me. The main issue is that on one hand the vehicle is over 15 years old which most companies set as their almost acceptable boundary meaning getting a regular quote is mad hard. On the flip side, the car can be got on a classic policy but the companies that offer that only do so when the driver, even a named one, is over 25 years of age and on the condition that a second main vehicle is insured!! The only option I had was to store the car for 3 months and wait until the family car was sold and we transferred the existing policy, with me as a named in the fathers name, onto the Rolla. Although we got flahed at renewel time, its worth it for the chance to keep an older car on the road, but the second you have an accident the policy wasnt worth a jot!'

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Saabturbonut

thanks for the reply , Im probably better of getting a later model fiesta a mark 3 if thats the case so , thanks everyone for the help
    regards

getting a later model fiesta a mark 3

a) I'm confused now. One of the cars I learnt to drive in was a Mk3 Fiesta. That was nearly 24 years ago. Given that the Mk3s finished in 1997, I can only conclude that we have different ideas to what a Mk3 is.

This is a Mk3 (The one before the really fugly one):
    Fiesta%20mk3.jpg

It 2015 now, so you'd need to get something a bit younger to avoid bending over for Aviva or Axa.

b) So far you have demonstrated an unhealthy attraction to Festers/Fiascos.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Saabturbonut

Hello ,sorry to be confusing you , I thought it was difficult to insure a 30+ year old car , but it's actually one that's 15+, so ideally a mk5 will fit the bill
    Regards

few compnaies will look at a 15+ yr old car..... you need look at a Mk5 or 6 ....the 00MY (ie 2000 to 2002) Fiesta are very good with a 1.25 zetec that is excellent. Watch out for rust though. Expect to pay peanuts for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Mark4 fiestas (the 00MY is a mark4 facelift, no?) are one of my favorite cars.
    Random: I've got a rare beast on these shores in m'shed, a 1.8d 5 door passenger mark4 fiesta. Never seen another that wasn't a fiesta van or courier.

Mark4 fiestas (the 00MY is a mark4 facelift, no?) are one of my favorite cars.
    Random: I've got a rare beast on these shores in m'shed, a 1.8d 5 door passenger mark4 fiesta. Never seen another that wasn't a fiesta van or courier.

off topic but in India I saw 4 door saloon Fiestas....

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement