Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Apple airport express + UPC broadband

• 09-01-2015 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'd appreciate any help with this one.

I use a (UPC) Technicolor TC7200 router. I have attached an Apple Airport, via Ethernet, to extend my wireless signal to a corner of the house with poor coverage. Whenever I do this, the connection from the TC7200 to the internet drops.

Will things work if I put the TC7200 into bridge mode via SNMP (I'm reluctant to mess around too much in case I do something I can't reverse)? Or do I need an Airport Extreme and for the Express to extend the network via that)?

Thanks for any help you might give -

Cheers

Richard

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

The Airport Express isn't compatible with all routers as an extender.

You should not have to change any settings on you main wifi to use the AE as an extender

Have you tried plugging the AE directly into your modem/router?
    The range might be better than the UPC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Situations like this are why I bought an AirPort Extreme. It just makes it much easier than messing around with bad router software. Pick up a second hand one somewhere and you'll be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Have you set the express to act as a access point? Had to help a client at work with this and that was happening once connected to the network and killied it every time it was connected. Just resting it and then reconfiguring to be a ap sorted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Thanks all - I'll attempt the following (In this order)

- Setting the express up as an access point
    - Setting it up as the primary wifi device to see if it gives me better coverage in remoter corners
    - Hunting for a 2nd hand Extreme (eventually, I can see myself doing this, but even second hand they run to 150e, so that'll be on the longer finger)

Thanks again - will report back on how I get on.
    ==

Edit: Thanks all, and especially shanec1928: setting it up as an access point, with the same SSID and password as the UPC router, worked a dream -- we've now got quality wifi throughout the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

This post has been deleted.

Thanks for that. I'm happy to leave the WiFi turned on at the UPC modem/router as I've got the Express upstairs (where the signal was poor) and the modem downstairs.

The mistake I was making was selecting "Extend a Wireless Network" rather than "Create a Wireless Network" in the Express settings. For future users, if you are connecting via ethernet, (and as explained in this article) you need to create rather than extend - and do the opposite if you are connecting wirelessly. Anyway, it worked!

Advertisement