Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant in new job

Options
  • 09-01-2015 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

I started a new job 4 months ago and I'm now 11 weeks pregnant.

It's a medium sized company but sort of family run, no one has contracts and there was no mention of probation period etc. They seem to go through a lot of staff, if they're not happy with someone they'll just get rid that day and that's it!
    Despite that, it's actually a nice place to work and I'm getting on well the boss who seems very happy with me.

But now I need to tell him I'm pregnant and I dont think they'll be impressed. It wasn't planned at all but I feel really bad and I'm afraid they might use it as an excuse to get rid of me. I was going to ask for some feedback on my work before I tell him so he couldn't then turn around and say there was something wrong with it after I tell him?

Is there anything else I can do to protect myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

Mrs W wrote: »
    I started a new job 4 months ago and I'm now 11 weeks pregnant.

It's a medium sized company but sort of family run, no one has contracts and there was no mention of probation period etc. They seem to go through a lot of staff, if they're not happy with someone they'll just get rid that day and that's it!
    Despite that, it's actually a nice place to work and I'm getting on well the boss who seems very happy with me.

But now I need to tell him I'm pregnant and I dont think they'll be impressed. It wasn't planned at all but I feel really bad and I'm afraid they might use it as an excuse to get rid of me. I was going to ask for some feedback on my work before I tell him so he couldn't then turn around and say there was something wrong with it after I tell him?

Is there anything else I can do to protect myself?

If you tell them you are pregnant, it is very difficult to fire you. You get loads of extra protection in terms of Health and Safety, as well as doctor, OBGYN, and hospital visits ththacan be during work hours, without having to use AL.

I suggest you do some research on maternity protection in Ireland before you tell them, and print out all the information you need (or links) to show them.

Apart from that, good luck with the pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Why do you have to tell them? Has the doctor said you can't do the work or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

As above, pregnancy gives you considerable protection but not immunity from being let go. They can terminate employment within the first year, they just cannot do it because of your pregnancy. You should talk to citizens advice before you inform them.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Why do you have to tell them? Has the doctor said you can't do the work or something?

No the work is fine, the bump is starting to get noticeable though.

I want to be fair, give them plenty of notice and let them know that it wasn't done on purpose. I know that sounds silly but I feel a bit snakey and I do want to have a job to come back to

Im getting the impression that you are quite young and inexperienced in a workplace setting. The fact that you are going to have a baby has absolutely no bearing on your current working conditions. You will be giving your employer 4 weeks notice of your impending maternity.leave which must start two weeks before your due date. So 6 weeks before your due date write a note to your boss informing him when you will be going and when you will be coming back. At the same time ask him to complete his section of the Maternity Benefit form.
    In the meantime if you need to go to a pregnancy related medical appointment you are entitled by law to time off with pay as long as you give sufficient notice.
    I would be astonished if your boss thought that you "snakelly" got pregnant on "purpose" just to annoy him in some way. Thats insane.
    Its always best in every job to keep more intimate details of your home life to yourself. You are excited to be pregnant but you may find that your employer and colleagues are not only not excited but not really interested either. I wouldn't be announcing my pregnancy at 20 weeks I would actually wait until asked s direct question to be honest. Good.luck give the boss as much notice about check ups as you can if you need time off and leave it at that

• Advertisement

Im getting the impression that you are quite young and inexperienced in a workplace setting. The fact that you are going to have s baby has absolutely no bearing on your current working conditions. You will be giving your employer 4 weeks notice of your impending maternity.leave which must start two weeks before your due date. So 6 weeks before your due date write s note yo your boss informing him when you will be going and when you will be coming back. At yhe same time ask him to complete hid section of yhe Maternity Benefit form.
    In the meantime if you need to go to a pregnancy related medical appointment you are entitled by law to time off with pay as long as you hive sufficient notice.
    I would be astonished if your bods thought that you "snakelly" got pregnant on "purpose" just to annoy him in some way. Thats insane.
    Its always best in every job to keep more intimate details of your home life yo yourself. You are excited to be pregnant hut you may find that your employer and colleagues are not only not excited but not really interested either. I wouldn't be announcing my pregnancy st 20 weeks I would actually wait until asked s direct question to be honest. Good.luck give the bods as much notice about check ups as you can if you need time off and leave it at that

Not that young and working 12 years. My point is that it's not a massive place and hundreds of people applied for my job, I had 2 interviews, convinced them I was the right person, wanted to help them develop the business etc and now that I'm finally up to speed with it all and taking on more responsibility I'm going to need 6 months off and they're going to have to go through all that again for my replacement while I'm off.

I've worked with people before who have gotten pregnant just after they started, got full maternity pay and then either didn't come back or cane back for a couple of weeks, was off sick every second day and then left. It might work in big corporate companies but I know what it does to small family companies and so I don't want them to think that I've done it on purpose. I like to be honest and fair with them and expect the same back in return

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Not that young and working 12 years. My point is that it's not a massive place and hundreds of people applied for my job, I had 2 interviews, convinced them I was the right person, wanted to help them develop the business etc and now that I'm finally up to speed with it all and taking on more responsibility I'm going to need 6 months off and they're going to have to go through all that again for my replacement while I'm off.

I've worked with people before who have gotten pregnant just after they started, got full maternity pay and then either didn't come back or cane back for a couple of weeks, was off sick every second day and then left. It might work in big corporate companies but I know what it does to small family companies and so I don't want them to think that I've done it on purpose. I like to be honest and fair with them and expect the same back in return

There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting pregnant, it is completely normal and our laws offer considerable protection because of this. (and rightfully so).

If your employer has a problem with staff getting pregnant thats their own problem and they'll suffer if they act on it. As a man I cant get my head around the countless times I have seen women feeling guilty in this situation, just to reiterate you have done absolutely nothing wrong.

Have a read over your entitlements as a pregnant woman in the workplace and be upfront clear and honest in exercising them and your employer should have no problem. Do not apologise or tell them about you're family planning (planned/not on purpose) that is none of their business. Depending on the personality of your employer this could cause issues down the line if you do.

Enjoy your pregnancy and rest before your new addition comes along, its an exciting time in your life and far more important than work. Know your rights because they fully protect you and you can focus on enjoying work and pregnancy.

It's entirely the responsibility of the employer when taking on staff to employ people who are suitable for the business.
    It's not rocket science to be aware that if you hire a woman of child bearing age that she may indeed bear a child. If that would inconvenience your business then don't hire her.
    Your being pregnant should not be a shock it should not be an inconvenience it should not cause your progression at work to be hampered. That is the law. You have nothing to explain nothing to apologize for. You don't owe them anything. You meet their needs and they reimburse you. What is your objective in disclosing your condition? You've already said that your pregnancy is not affecting your work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The fact that you are going to have a baby has absolutely no bearing on your current working conditions. You will be giving your employer 4 weeks notice of your impending maternity.leave which must start two weeks before your due date. So 6 weeks before your due date write a note to your boss informing him

This is not correct. When an employee is pregnant, the employer is required to do a risk assessment to ensure that working environment is safe for employee. Allowances/change of work practices/conditions may be necessary during pregnancy. So OP the onus is on you to inform your employer, you do not have to but it may be in yours and the baby's best interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Davo10 is correct - you should inform your employer as soon as you are comfortable informing people generally. They have HS&W responsibilities that need to take you into account, and it shows courtesy and consideration on your part to keep them informed.

However, you also need to stop worrying - your pregnancy and eventual child are far more important that the (potential) concerns of your employer. Cross whatever bridges come up when you get to them. Enjoy a unique and wonderful time in your life, and one that is well protected by law!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

OP, I would also suggest being open about this with your employer as soon as you are comfortable with telling people in general. Have an open and honest discussion with them, your employer will appreciate that and it should stand to you in the future if your employer is any way reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

What is your objective in disclosing your condition?

I would assume the objective is to let the employer know that she is pregnant?! If nothing else it's a basic professional courtesy.

Any employer will clearly appreciate being informed as soon as is possible, which will also maximise the chances of the employer and employee finding a mid to long term solution which is suiting both parties.

I see no advantage to be gained whatsoever in non-disclosure.

Thanks for all the input. Had myself all built up to tell him this evening and he left early for once!
    Going to tell him first thing and get it out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Best of luck MrsW, with the pregnancy and with the job.

Advertisement