Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repeat leaving cert help

• 09-01-2015 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

I did my leaving cert last year but failed to get enough points after doing a plc but hate the FETAC system its just not for me. I am just wondering if its to late to apply to sit the leaving cert this year I don't want to have to wait until 2016 :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

http://www.cao.ie

Apply by 20th of January to get the discounted rate . 1st of February is the closing date .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

External (repeat) Leaving entries. Be aware some courses will be different compared to what you did last year.
    https://examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ec
    Closing date February 6th - after that late fees apply. Higher charges for repeat students.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

I can do English business economics maths no problem but geography history both have project elements how
    will I go about doing them doubt I can just send one to the SEC ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I can do English business economics maths no problem but geography history both have project elements how
    will I go about doing them doubt I can just send one to the SEC ?

You could get in contact with a local school and ask to do the project in co-ordination with a teacher.

I repeated last year and took Geography up on my own. I didn't go on the field trip as they had already gone in 5th year. I put a lot of hard work into the project and got a teacher to explain everything they had done and she was happy to sign off on it. When I viewed my paper in August, I got 99 out of 100 in the project. It's possible with a lot of hard work and co-operation.

The one thing that could be difficult regarding English is that they have switched from MacBeth to Othello. Could you do anything else instead of English?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You will have to do a new History essay and Geography field study under the supervision of a teacher. You cannot re-submit the old projects as a teacher has to sign a legal statement that it is your own work.

Are the poets the same for English?

• Advertisement

Some of my friends are doing the lc this year , new poets for them. Comparative might have changed too.

Things like personal essays and poetry are often marked subjectively. Learning new poets , play and comparative seems like a fair amount of effort on your own . Not that it's not doable.

Don't mind reading new books for English only problem is the projects in history and geography. Is there any other subject that are just based on one exam ? Dont need mad points just 350

Don't mind reading new books for English only problem is the projects in history and geography. Is there any other subject that are just based on one exam ? Dont need mad points just 350

You could always leave out the projects and then your maximum for each subject would be 80%.

3 core sciences are just based on a written exam .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    3 core sciences are just based on a written exam .

Doesn't a teacher have to sign off that you carried out the experiments though?

• Advertisement

robman60 wrote: »
    Doesn't a teacher have to sign off that you carried out the experiments though?

Also, don't some inspectors visit schools to check that all experiments have been written up?

I only need a C3 in every subject so I might get away without doing a project but would need to get 70% in the exam. Just don't want to put a teacher under pressure by asking them if I can do a project at this late stage.

I found a teacher willing to supervise my history and geography project . In regards to geography can I just count cars like I did last year

I only need a C3 in every subject so I might get away without doing a project but would need to get 70% in the exam. Just don't want to put a teacher under pressure by asking them if I can do a project at this late stage.
    I found a teacher willing to supervise my history and geography project . In regards to geography can I just count cars like I did last year

A lot of teachers don't start the projects until after the mocks.

The title's of the geography assignment changes every year. Does your Geography teacher have their own class? It might just be easier to go along with what they did.

What project is the teacher doing with their class?

Yes she teaches the two subjects I'm going to sit in her class and do the project under supervision. I'm actually not sure which one the class is doing but I still have my mock project from last year to use as a template for this year I looked it up and it is the same as last year thanks for the help :)

Yes she teaches the two subjects I'm going to sit in her class and do the project under supervision. I'm actually not sure which one the class is doing but I still have my mock project from last year to use as a template for this year I looked it up and it is the same as last year thanks for the help :)

Are you sure it's the same? There's probably a tiny, yet very important change in the wording of the title.

Yes, it would be unusual to have the same Geog. project two years running.
    You will have to do a different History essay.

Advertisement