Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitting valves with no link to the boiler

• 09-01-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

I have a gas boiler with a timeclock on the front of it. When the timeclock is on it heats hot water and two heating zones. These three valves are in the hot press and are manual (levers for the zones and a thermostatic valve for the hot water).

There is no cable linking the boiler to where the valves are.

I am wondering if I put in motorized valves and timeclocks fed from a local supply and leave the boiler on permantly so the timeclocks just control the valves.

Does this idea make sense? Would it put too much pressure on the boiler?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Tom44

17larsson wrote: »
    I have a gas boiler with a timeclock on the front of it. When the timeclock is on it heats hot water and two heating zones. These three valves are in the hot press and are manual (levers for the zones and a thermostatic valve for the hot water).

I am wondering if I put in motorized valves and timeclocks fed from a local supply and leave the boiler on permantly so the timeclocks just control the valves.

If wired correctly, time clock turnes on M. Valve for area and then valve sends power to boiler 20 seconds later.
    = boiler won't start till valve opens, I think ?

It would cause you other problems.

Any heating or hot water wiring should be fed from the electrical spur supplying the boiler.

You need to have the motorised valves communicating with the boiler or there is no real point to do otherwise would waste gas and over time damage the boiler.

It would really be worth your while wiring your heating system correctly as it will save a lot of gas and make your home more comfortable by maintaining a temperature you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Bad idea to leave boiler on 24/7
    Does it have a boiler bypass
    Separate power supplies to different parts of heating system v bad idea.
    Tom44 is right with the idea, however multiple zones need careful wiring for the TC switched live, the MV moter live and the MV switched live as if not done right they will all open once one opens.
    Been there, used 11 pin relays

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

What are the negative sides to leaving the gas boiler on permanently though?

Waste of energy.
    Reduce life of boiler.
    Reduce life of circ pump, especially when 3 MV are closed and the pump is working against the bypass.
    Take an example:
    Suppose your other half/child/parent/etc said
    I need to go to the shop at 1600: would you sit in the car with it running 24/7:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

Cheers for the reply. Would it use much gas when the valves are closed?

Cheers for the reply. Would it use much gas when the valves are closed?

Yes.

Also it will cycle on and off, they are only designed for a certain number of start cycles, based on design ideas called MTBF/MTTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would run a cable to let the actuator valves control the heating. It is a very thin cable. It is a bit of work but it will make a good job of it.

Advertisement