Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My future path?

Options
  • 10-01-2015 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hey, my first post in a while on here. I'm in an unusual state if mind right now. I'm usually very knowledgeable in what I want to do or on what needs to be done but now I just can't figure out. I'm not sure on what path I want to take when I'm older. I feel as though I have to sides to me. The one who wants to have a fun creative job, or the one who wants a job that's ok but brings in the cash. For example my creative side I'd like to to film and TV production, Vfx production, an associate producer in creative Media or finally and my favourite music supervision. Now, the rather dull jobs. I'd like the sound of business and law, real estate brokerage(abroad), business and marketing. I've been told that law is over saturated with people but I find it interesting. Anyway could someone give me some advice on what I should choose?

Might be wrong thread, sorry. Thanks for any reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭MW2FAN

Oh god. I don't mean to I mean two. Not of to a good start.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Haha I'm 36 and still trying to make up my mind on some of those points :)

If you're starting out your career, defo go for the creative roles. You'll always be happier doing something you really like rather than being rich. So long as the job is enough to pay for a basic standard of living the content is more important in the long run.

Remember that whatever you do, you'll need to start at the bottom, which sucks. But it won't always be like that and will get steadily better.

Thanks I've still got a while to go before I have to make that desicion. Thanks god!��

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

MW2FAN wrote: »
    The one who wants to have a fun creative job, or the one who wants a job that's ok but brings in the cash.
    You and pretty much everyone else in the world!

Hopefully you'll be able to find something that's a reasonable compromise between the two. There's a lot to be said for enjoying your job, or at the very least, being content in what you do on a daily basis. But then, there are practical realities - nobody wants to be living hand to mouth.

That's what I'm afraid of. I'd rather sit through a few years of something I'm ok with rather than do Something I love but not live comfortably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Ronan Kennedy

It's not easy to choose what you want to do for the rest of your career - I had the same problem myself but eventually found something that I love after searching for about 10 years!

If you google some websites online, they might be able to help you find what you'd love to do or what you're passionate about.

It may take some time but it's worth the effort in my opinion. Good luck!

Advertisement