Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Union took a double payment today!!

Options
  • 10-01-2015 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭

I'm a member of a credit union and every week I repay a loan and I also save a small amount. I've this arranged to be taken out every Friday as that's when I get paid.

I checked my bank online tonight and it looks as if a double payment was taken by the credit union today. Looking into this further, they didn't take the money last week but I don't know why that is as the money was in my account etc.

I'm fuming that they took a double payment today without me being notified in advance.Have they got a right to do this? Surely I have some sort of rights here?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Last Friday (Jan 2nd) was notionally a working day but as it was sandwiched between a bank holiday (Jan 1st) and a weekend, most of the country took the day off.

It's pretty obvious what happened, the wonder is that you were caught out by it - did you not notice that they didn't take the money last week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

2 January was a processing day. Standing orders and direct debits should have gone out as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Danye

coylemj wrote: »
    Last Friday (Jan 2nd) was notionally a working day but as it was sandwiched between a bank holiday (Jan 1st) and a weekend, most of the country took the day off.

It's pretty obvious what happened, the wonder is that you were caught out by it - did you not notice that they didn't take the money last week?

Thanks for the reply. Regardless of how people interpreted Friday the 02nd of January, it was just a normal working day. The interaction is automated as well so I don't understand the point your trying to make?

They also took the payment out the week before which is what I found confusing.

I didn't notice that they didn't take the money on the 02nd because I transfer money into a different account and just use the account for direct debits and standing orders, so I only interact with the current account once a week. The money was there too pay them, but that's not my issue. The issue was the Credit Union took a double payment with notifying me? Surely they can't do this? What if I was stuck for money? I'm being punished for a mistake by the CU??
    nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    2 January was a processing day. Standing orders and direct debits should have gone out as normal.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking? I wonder what happened? It seems the CU made a mistake and thought they could rectify it this week. How can they do this?

Has anybody got any advice or opinions on this, have I a valid point?

Thanks for your help.

Presume the payment is taken by direct debit rather than standing order?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Danye wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Regardless of how people interpreted Friday the 02nd of January, it was just a normal working day. The interaction is automated as well so I don't understand the point your trying to make?

They also took the payment out the week.

I didn't notice that they didn't take the money on the 02nd because I transfer money into a different account and just use the account for direct debits and standing orders, so I only interact with the current account once a week. The money was there too pay them, but that's not my issue. The issue was the Credit Union took a double payment with notifying me? Surely they can't do this? What if I was stuck for money? I'm being punished for a mistake by the CU??

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking? I wonder what happened? It seems the CU made a mistake and thought they could rectify it this week. How can they do this?

Has anybody got any advice or opinions on this, have I a valid point?

Thanks for your help.

I can't see why it makes any difference, the amount taken out in total was the amount owed and they did not debit any more than they should have albeit in a lump sum? If you 'interact' with the account once a week surely you would have noticed that they hadn't taken the money and queried same? This seems simple basic information to me or am I missing something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Surely if the money was there to pay them last week it would still have been there this week to make the payment? Was the money missing for some other reason? You were not expecting to be able to use x amount as you were expecting it to be paid out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I don't see the point of the question. You were due to have the funds taken, the funds were taken. Later than they should have been but the end result is the same: they have the money that they're supposed to have. What's the problem? What's the question? What's the issue? Are you wondering if you have grounds to make a complaint? If you make a complaint, what's the outcome you're hoping for? If it's anything more than an apology, you'll be disappointed. Are you just searching for a problem to complain about? Why are you making up hypothetical scenarios in which this could have caused you problems when it didn't, and you are in the exact same position you would have been otherwise? Is the fact that something that was supposed to happen did happen, albeit slightly outside of the normal timeframe, without any negative fallout whatsoever really worth worrying/stressing/thinking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭phone2000

The interaction is automated as well so I don't understand the point your trying to make?

Just picking up on this point, very few processes' like this are automated in a credit union - there is still a manual element to calling for a Standing Order payment. It's highly likely that due to the Christmas break that someone simply didn't get the file to the bank on time. If you're a weekly payer then they couldn't have called the same payment twice in the same week so doubled up your payment last Friday instead.

They will have adjusted for interest due so you shouldn't be in arrears and it won't have an adverse effect on your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

I'm a member of a credit union and every week I repay a loan and I also save a small amount. I've this arranged to be taken out every Friday as that's when I get paid.

I checked my bank online tonight and it looks as if a double payment was taken by the credit union today. Looking into this further, they didn't take the money last week but I don't know why that is as the money was in my account etc.

I'm fuming that they took a double payment today without me being notified in advance.Have they got a right to do this? Surely I have some sort of rights here?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

You can't do anything about it they are due the payment, you should really just be leaving money in the account to cover the loan repayment anyway.

I don't see the point of the question. You were due to have the funds taken, the funds were taken. Later than they should have been but the end result is the same: they have the money that they're supposed to have. What's the problem? What's the question? What's the issue? Are you wondering if you have grounds to make a complaint? If you make a complaint, what's the outcome you're hoping for? If it's anything more than an apology, you'll be disappointed. Are you just searching for a problem to complain about? Why are you making up hypothetical scenarios in which this could have caused you problems when it didn't, and you are in the exact same position you would have been otherwise? Is the fact that something that was supposed to happen did happen, albeit slightly outside of the normal timeframe, without any negative fallout whatsoever really worth worrying/stressing/thinking about?

What is the point of your reply?

If I paid the the amount, a little later than usual but nonetheless paid the amount do you think the CU would be ok with that? I'll answer that for you - No.

My issue is that IF, I had needed extra money and went to the account that the CU take the money from and took money out under the presumption that they did their job, potentially I would of been short the amount that they come looking for and I would of suffered an unpaid fee from the bank.

• Advertisement

TrishSimon wrote: »
    You can't do anything about it they are due the payment, you should really just be leaving money in the account to cover the loan repayment anyway.

What????

The money was there. I've clearly stated that's not the issue!

phone2000 wrote: »
    Just picking up on this point, very few processes' like this are automated in a credit union - there is still a manual element to calling for a Standing Order payment. It's highly likely that due to the Christmas break that someone simply didn't get the file to the bank on time. If you're a weekly payer then they couldn't have called the same payment twice in the same week so doubled up your payment last Friday instead.

They will have adjusted for interest due so you shouldn't be in arrears and it won't have an adverse effect on your account.

Thanks for that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭GavinusMaximus

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

I recommend that you contact you're bank (whatever account they took the money from),
    and ask to file a DD indemnity. You should have the money back in no more than 24 hours.
    If your account is with the Credit Union I'm not 100% sure, but it should be the same process.

Experience: I previously worked for a bank

If you 'interact' with the account once a week surely you would have noticed that they hadn't taken the money and queried same? This seems simple basic information to me or am I missing something

I interact with the account late Thursday evening first thing Friday morning and then that's it. It doesn't show up that it has been taken at that stage but when I log into it the following week it shows it went out on the Friday. It was only when I logged in on the 9th I noticed the issue from the previous week.

I recommend that you contact you're bank (whatever account they took the money from),
    and ask to file a DD indemnity. You should have the money back in no more than 24 hours.
    If your account is with the Credit Union I'm not 100% sure, but it should be the same process.

Experience: I previously worked for a bank

Thanks for that. I thought I said it in my original post but maybe I didn't, the money was in the account so it's not an issue and I'm not looking for it back.

I was just annoyed at the way it was done by the Credit Union. I signed up to have a specific amount debited from a current account every Friday and because THEY made an error on THEIR part they thought it was ok for them to go back and take two weeks in one. That's not what we agreed and signed on the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Have you asked the Credit Union for an explanation yet?
    Did you question them after 2nd Jan payment didn't go out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

What is the point of your reply?

If I paid the the amount, a little later than usual but nonetheless paid the amount do you think the CU would be ok with that? I'll answer that for you - No.

My issue is that IF, I had needed extra money and went to the account that the CU take the money from and took money out under the presumption that they did their job, potentially I would of been short the amount that they come looking for and I would of suffered an unpaid fee from the bank.

But you didn't. So what's the problem?

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Presume the payment is taken by direct debit rather than standing order?

Can you clarify which it is?

With talk of files and doubling up it sounds like a DD.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzaDP

I was just annoyed at the way it was done by the Credit Union. I signed up to have a specific amount debited from a current account every Friday and because THEY made an error on THEIR part they thought it was ok for them to go back and take two weeks in one. That's not what we agreed and signed on the contract.

Understand that you're annoyed with this and not sure if the CU was technically correct in what they did.

However all money due is paid and no one is out of pocket, so what do you want to happen?

Do you want an apology? A commitment it won't happen again? Compensation? What?

I doubt compensation will be forthcoming since you're not out of pocket - It would be a different story if this "double payment" had put you overdrawn and cost you money, as you could argue you didn't notice their mistake and so overspent that week and it was their mistake, but you don't normally get compensation based on "what ifs".

An explanation and apology might be possible if that's what you're looking for but not sure it's worth the effort to be honest.

1) If its a Direct Debit, and your CU took a double payment, they will apologize and arrange to skip One payment if that is what you want

2) If its a standing order, then its more likely that the BANK made the error. However, you still have the choice of going online & stopping ONe payment of your S/O.

For any CU member who is paid ahead of the contract payments, you can skip a week/month and they don't mind at all

Everybody's happy !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement