Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi hotshot

Options
  • 10-01-2015 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

When I signed up for mobile wireless internet with O2 the device I was given was huawei WiFi hot shot which took a sim card and has provided internet for the past year. The signal is quite weak in the furthest away rooms however and was hoping I could get a recommendation for similar device that had a larger range. It would be advantageous if it could also take some network cables too.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Will91w

You could try getting an old router and putting it in 'Repeater mode' if it supports it. This will boost the signal of the wifi enough so that it should be connectable from around the whole house.

Search youtube for various tutorials on how to put a router in repeater mode.

You could also buy a signal booster in argos which basically do the same job, they can be quite expensive tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Will91w wrote: »
    You could try getting an old router and putting it in 'Repeater mode' if it supports it. This will boost the signal of the wifi enough so that it should be connectable from around the whole house.

Search youtube for various tutorials on how to put a router in repeater mode.

You could also buy a signal booster in argos which basically do the same job, they can be quite expensive tho.

A router won't be much use if all they have is mobile internet though will it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You can buy mobile routers.

mordeith wrote: »
    A router won't be much use if all they have is mobile internet though will it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Any easier version of what was previously suggested using a router in repeater mode, is to buy an access point and set it as a repeater. Requires less setup/know how & probably cheaper.

http://www.komplett.ie/product/zkb-03netw/80003749/tp-link-access-point-tl-wa801nd/details.aspx

At a basic level, better wireless signal strength is determined by the 802.11 standard in use (from oldest to newest): a,b,g,n,ac
    These days, g would be going out of date and ac would just be coming in (but still really expensive).

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

Will91w wrote: »

I have a wireless router but it requires a network cable for the input. I was thinking along the lines of something I could pop the sim card into which just had a slightly larger range. Maybe the range extender is the easiest option

Advertisement