Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ageless cars?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

RayM wrote: »
    For a car that was launched 26 years ago, I think the Opel Calibra (if there are any unmodified ones left) still looks very fresh.

Most definitly agree here, car I used to ignore/hate even when I had one back in day but today. Really liking them more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mb123

Beadyeye wrote: »
    Fiat Coupe, first rolled off the line in 1994, fastest Fwd car in the world for a time. Timeless design and cool cockpit.

I like parrots too and cockateals, but i have only ate one of your finches- topcat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I think the Sierra Sapphire has aged well:

_Ford_Sierra_Sapphire_RS_Cosworth_2wd4b866f01b4447.jpg

The 300ZX:

1990_Nissan_300ZX_Z32_For_Sale_Rear_1.jpg

Land rover:
    1987-land-rover-defender-patrickduistersdefender90county3.jpg

Also the E38 beemer, 1st generation Mondeo, original MX5, NSX, Pug 205, & RX7.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

334594.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭piston

Rover SD1. Maybe not so much now but about ten years ago I was doing some work for a company where one of the managers drove one of these and it blended in amazing well amongst all the Vectras and Mondeos in the staff car park. It's period rivals like Granada MKII and Opel Rekord would have stood out like a sore thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Lots of delusional posters on this thread.
    The A2, and perhaps the Alfa are the only non supercars on thread that would even look credible with a '10 plate, let alone a 151

8 series? E38/39?
    Mark 4 Golf? 300ZX? Really?
    I own both a mark4 golf and a 300zx and to say either look credible with a new plate would be ridiculous. Both exceptional cars at what they were meant to be - but by no means a 151!

Ford Model T! :p

Ford Model T! :p

At least you could get one with a very rare plate, 14 - D as opposed to 141/142 :P

At least you could get one with a very rare plate, 14 - D as opposed to 141/142 :P

And I wouldn't have to worry about the numberplate running out and having to buy a new car. :D
    Plus, it would confuse the hell out of the cops...

And I wouldn't have to worry about the numberplate running out and having to buy a new car. :D
    Plus, it would confuse the hell out of the cops...

If there was a 1914 model T chassis where the engine was fcuked and the body rusted away, I'd love to put a modern body on it with 14 D plates (technically correct, legal, and above board as the chassis determines the number plate and identity in this country) just to mess with peoples heads :D

• Advertisement

If there was a 1914 model T chassis where the engine was fcuked and the body rusted away, I'd love to put a modern body on it with 14 D plates (technically correct, legal, and above board as the chassis determines the number plate and identity in this country) just to mess with peoples heads :D

That would be awesome, what would be a good fit? Focus?

Hadn't even thought about what would be a good fit
    Surely nothing would actually fit on that?

Hadn't even thought about what would be a good fit
    Surely nothing would actually fit on that?

Just depends on the amount of cutting and welding you're willing to do! Doesn't have to be pretty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

It really depends on what we men by "ageless"; If we are looking for "cars that will be still known in 20 years time and can't be confused with anything else", then quite a few here qualify. Leaving aside the ultra-expensive stuff, both the Mx-5 and the Rx8, the Supra, the 156, the Defender (well...), maybe the E46 (but wouldn't bet on it as it is kind of run-of-the-mill mid-90 German design), the Golf as a series, MkI-IV were all very similar evolutions.

If we are instead talking about "cars that don't look their age", only the A2 and the Rx8 qualify - and the Audi does it for all the wrong reasons, as it fits in the kind of "looks like something you find in a child's lunchbox" designs popularized by the Japanese/Korean brands.

As for current cars that look younger than they really are, two that come in my mind are the Alfa 159 and the BMW 3-Series E90.
    alfa-romeo-159-2.jpg
    BMW-3-Series_2009_800x600_wallpaper_03.jpg

Both these cars were designed over 10 years ago, and it certainly doesn't look so; Most likely because they have some personality (especially the 159) that is completely lacking in most other cars from recent times.

It's also kind of funny how the E90, Chris Bangle's first 3-Series design, was met with harsh criticism from BMW fans when it was presented but it turned out to be one of the very few BMWs, or German cars at large for what matters, that doesn't look spectacularly outdated after a few years; To a lesser extent, the same holds true for the E60 5-Series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Could anything else here other than the Land Rover 90/110 or the Defender manage to pull off a reg 20 years its junior? Don't think so. It's a pretty timeless design.

Land_Rover_90_County_Staation_Wagon.JPG

Here's an F reg from 1988. Could you put a 2008 on it and 99.9% of people wouldn't notice? I think so. There's a few subtle differences buy nothing major.

The A2 still holds its own. Don't think it'll manage 20 years though.

The Jap coupés? Celica? MX5? FTO? They all look like they belong out of Gran Turismo 2 in my head. Decidely late 1990s and early 2000s. They wouldn't pass in 20 years.
    The only reason the Defender would fool people with a 151 plate is because people are still buying new ones and Land Rover are still selling them. Not because they look modern. They look 70's.
    I agree with most here. The A2 and 156 are the only two that could pull off a young reg.
    Skyline R32? Are you joking? Looked dated when it was released. Golf Mk1 looks 100% 70's. Mk 4 doesn't look that fresh at all.
    Ferrari F50 could possibly pass for a brand new car. McLaren F1 definitely. Facelift NSX certainly doesn't look like a car who's design was revealed to the world in the late 80's! Would probably struggle a little today though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

The 456 has aged very well in comparison to Ferraris of the 80s. The Sierra Sapphire and 8-series are up there for their age for me too.

The SD1 is a real dinosaur to me, especially in comparison to the Citroens posted from the same era.

I think the 4th and 5th Prelude's still look respectable. I much prefer the 5th though

20420160008_large.jpg

5347345845_a80113dfb8_z.jpg
    honda_prelude_oem__by_mozzgoed-d4xxaow.jpg

Those preludes look very 90's
    Nice car, but my '68 Chrysler is closer to a '10 plate than they are.
    (by virtue of 1968 -> 1910 )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

Jensen Interceptor
    Lancia Integrale
    Audi 80
    Fiat X1/9
    NSU RO 80
    Porsche 928
    Saab 900 turbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Mentioned already but RX7 + RX8 would be on my list for sure.
    Would add to that though the Miura

Miura.jpg

and I'm probably a bit biased but I've always though the Mk2 Mr2 looked fresh from the outside at least.

800x530_rev5_mr2.jpg

• Advertisement

noelf wrote: »
    Jensen Interceptor
    Lancia Integrale
    Audi 80
    Fiat X1/9
    NSU RO 80
    Porsche 928
    Saab 900 turbo

All of those cars are either the "wedge" shape of the '80s or the bubble effect of the '90s
    Do you really think an x19 or a saab 900 would look right with a 151 plate?
    As I mentioned above, delusion is not the word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

All of those cars are either the "wedge" shape of the '80s or the bubble effect of the '90s
    Do you really think an x19 or a saab 900 would look right with a 151 plate?
    As I mentioned above, delusion is not the word!

This is the first and only time I'll agree with you on the above :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Jaguar XK8

jaguar-xk8-09.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    It's also kind of funny how the E90, Chris Bangle's first 3-Series design, was met with harsh criticism from BMW fans when it was presented but it turned out to be one of the very few BMWs, or German cars at large for what matters, that doesn't look spectacularly outdated after a few years; To a lesser extent, the same holds true for the E60 5-Series.

But the E90 was saved by a rather masterful update in 2009 that took care of all of the awkward details of the initial design. The car you have illustrated is really only 6 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

But the E90 was saved by a rather masterful update in 2009 that took care of all of the awkward details of the initial design. The car you have illustrated is really only 6 years old.

What were the updates? I know the rear lights are slightly different, but other than that, I don't really notice that much of a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

The 03 version of the Avensis and every year after that before they introduced the newer model. I don't like that car model but in fairness, Toyota didn't make much dramatic changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

We have a 04 avensis at home, its aged badly imo as has the newer one. The Honda Jazz could easily pull off a 151 plate! That and the phaeton. Its a 12 year old design.

18na2xnb5zatijpg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Timfy

Honda CRV Mk2

13 years old and still looking pretty contemporary. Better looking than the Mk3 IMHO.
    Honda%20CR-V%20(1).jpg

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

What were the updates? I know the rear lights are slightly different, but other than that, I don't really notice that much of a difference.

Grille, bumpers front and rear, bonnet, lights front and rear, new boot, mirrors and wheel designs were all new. The rear track was also increased giving the car a better stance on the road. Gave the car a huge lift, then they undid all their hard work and stuffed the rubbish N47 into it.

This thread is turning into a giant list of every single 80's and 90's car ever. A Saab 900 with a 151 plate? C'mon like

This thread is turning into a giant list of every single 80's and 90's car ever. A Saab 900 with a 151 plate? C'mon like

Don't forget an MR2, a CRV, a lamborghini miura, a skyline r32, an e38/39/46/90 , a mark1 focus (really??)[repeat ad nauseum] :pac:

I understand that people like the cars and so on. I do too for the most part, but to think that an 80's/90's/early'00 car will look like a new car is for the most part verging between ridiculous and delusion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

E90 wasn't design by bangle, was designed by this jap guy, Joji Nagashima:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1320&stc=1&d=1115196963

And chain issues aside the N47 was head and shoulders the best 4cylinder diesel on the market at the time. Massively superior to the tractor engine that preceded it.

E90 wasn't design by bangle, was designed by this jap guy, Joji Nagashima:

And chain issues aside the N47 was head and shoulders the best 4cylinder diesel on the market at the time. Massively superior to the tractor engine that preceded it.
    So, the major issue that rendered the engine not fit for purpose a lot of the time, aside from that it was head and shoulders above the rest? lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

So, the major issue that rendered the engine not fit for purpose a lot of the time, aside from that it was head and shoulders above the rest? lol

Thousands of parts in an engine cleve. N47 was one on the first high reving, ultra linear diesels on the market. It's the engine toyota chose when they decided to outsource diesels, and whose head engineering is on record as saying it is a superior to their in house offering.

I have an early N47 with 200k miles that only now is having its chain looked at, and it's not as expensive a job as it's made out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

A 2000 Maserati 3200 GT.. for a 15 year old car.. no bad imo..

334651.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

You are of course right about the picture, but I meant the original E90. To the non-BMW fanatic eye, there's little to no difference and still, it doesn't look 10 years old.
    E90 wasn't design by bangle, was designed by this jap guy, Joji Nagashima

Didn't know that, the E90 is often cited as an example of the "Bangle butt" (even if it isn't as prominent as others). Good to know; it doesn't change the fact that, despite all the criticism, it was the first BMW in a while to not look like a dinosaur a few years after launch. I don't think the current one will fare that as well neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Dodge charger R/t
    E-type jag
    Lotus elan
    UAZ 469
    Subaru justy
    Isuzu mu
    Opel ascona
    Nissan 280zx
    Alpina B6
    Lancia delta integrale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

The reason the phaeton hasn't aged is it looks like the current Passat/cc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

JC01 wrote: »
    Tbh iv always thought Defenders remind me of ww2 jeeps, just because they didn't update the design doesn't make the design "timeless"

Drives like something out of ww2 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

When did the Audi A3 come out - cos it looks the same as ever - (so does the A4 actually ) .it never looked very modern , and still doesn't but it doesn't look dated either -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Markcheese wrote: »
    When did the Audi A3 come out - cos it looks the same as ever - (so does the A4 actually ) .it never looked very modern , and still doesn't but it doesn't look dated either -

Last generation A3 ran from 2003-2012. Current version isn't radically different looking at first glance! But it is an all new car...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

True, but I think the number 15+ year old cars that could really pull off 151 plate is very limited. I think the broader interpretation of designs that stood the test of time is fun.

Here's a bland one from 1996:

23663670019_large.jpg

Excuse the tacky wheels. It's hard to find representative images of many cars that haven't been inappropriately modified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I think the Audi a4 mk1 still looks fresh, maybe with 1 or 2 upgrades but the shape of the body has that same look as the way designers are going back to. it has the narrow thin strip lights upgrade those with led's bringing it upto todays headlight standard. the front grill visually outdated even when it rolled off the production line. but over all even audi went back to similar design with the boot lid. Tbh bar car enthusist i think 131/141 could still be passed off on it because 151 has gone way too futuristic

IMG_0997.jpg
    p2.audi-a4-petrol-saloon.png
    Audi%20A3%20Saloon.png

The Astra too looks well upto date

Opel-Astra-in-Brazil.jpg

and as much as a dislike nearly all Nissan's the Silva gets my vote for a car thats 15 year old design or more and does not stand out of place

32301200001_large.jpg?v=0

and this little guy. probably the only pug i will ever give a thumbs upto. from a design from 1998, certainly modern lots of curves straight lines fresh headlights, still moderately upto standard i know the french love their spaceage stuff but this is neither the outdated boxy generation before it or too far into the future.

peugeot_306_2_0_hdi_2002_diesel_8450104413521475733.jpg

Tbh no car thats ageless imo. cars are designed around their generation and what the people want. what i consider ageless now others dont. The cars ive listed id buy new still if i saw them based on their lines and lights and spec. but its fair to say it was last generations still 21st century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I think the Pug 206 is a pretty ageless design. Launched in 1998, it wouldn't look too out of place with a 151 plate and Dacia (or something similar) badge on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,444 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Mitsubishi Pajero I think still looks great.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Range Rover.
    Likewise, the vast majority of Land Rover's 4x4 look well.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

I do like them. I could be biased because my dad bought one of them when they first came out in 1974. It looked light years ahead compared to what you saw on the streets back then and certainly a lot better than the Simca 1100 we had before.
    Just look at British cars of the time, they look 10 years older.
    I rest my case yeronner! ;-)

Honorable mention to the Mini of course for design innovation.

My God!! I thought I was the only Simca 1100 owner in Ireland!! I had a navy blue one in the early 80's, What a ball of Sh*t€ :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Shamless plug here, but i think this could get away with a 151 plate, for a car that was released in 99?

arQCx3st.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭kiteman

The last of the toyota soarers from around 1996 is a beauty still.
    I had a 1992 manual with 325bph.
    It was a pure weapon to go.
    I still cant upload photos to support my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭kiteman

This is getting daft.
    I tried to quote and reply to Boombangs post regarding the mitsubishi galant, but I'm advised I cant post photos again.

Anyway, heres my post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Tazio wrote: »
    A 2000 Maserati 3200 GT.. for a 15 year old car.. no bad imo..

334651.JPG

back end looks pear shaped, like they ran out of time and said -

guys, leave it at that folk! lets go!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement